1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flickering screen 2x HD6990 quadfire!

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Gustave, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Gustave

Thanks Received:
    Hello fellow rigbuilders,

Maybe one of you can point me straight into the right direction. Recently I upgraded my system with 2 XFX HD6990 cards.

I experience strange flickering, rolling in certain graphics mode and some games (Crysis 2, BF3) are unplayable. Now I read in different fora that that could be driver related but I'd like to now if maybe one of my 6990's is broken. Maybe someone can look at the enclosed video of the problem and can tell straight away what it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1AaIvdyZI&feature=player_embedded

This is a 3DMark11 benchmark!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  2. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I would start by setting the CCC to defaults and retest if still having an issue I would then uninstall the CCC suite and then run Drivercleaner pro and then install the latest and greatest CCC offered by AMD. Then retest. Good luck.

3. Gustave

Thanks Received:
    Thanks.

I guess I have to get out of my lazy chair and setup my system again and see how my 6990's perform then after a clean setup. Gives me a chance to upgrade the firmware of my SSD's while I'm at it.

Cheerio

4. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried each card by themselves? Quad-crossfire in pretty unstable since a lot of software doesn't support it.

5. KenW New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try uninstall everything, Catalyst, CAP, third party softwares (Afterburner, Trixx, Asus Tweak).

Install official Catalyts 12.1 http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Catalyst 12.2 CAP1 http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Test each card too and check the crossfire bridge.

Disable hardware acceleration everywhere.

1000W PSU with 2x 6990 + 980X is pushing it. Especially the 6990s on AUSUM BIOS.

Edit:

I just look at the video. It looks like you are having screen tearing and using active adapter. How did you setup your Eyefinity? And what are the monitors and available inputs (DP, DVI, HDMI)?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  6. Gustave

Thanks Received:
    Hi KenW,

Thanks for your reply. I just deinstalled Catalyst (but not Afterburner, yet) and reïnstalled (Catalyst 12.0228). I still have to check both cards seperately. I'll do that later on.

I have a Corsair AX1200W PSU on the shelf, as well as a Rampage IV Extreme and a 3960X with the proper RAM. Still haven't had time to stick it all together, though.

For now I have 3 30" Dell screen hooked up to the 6990's. left:3008WFP - centre:U3011 - right:3008WFP. All connected via displayport and DP cables. Nothing active there. It's also strange that the U3011 shows up as U3011 in Catalyst Centre but the 3008WFP show up as DDC/CI monitors and not as 3008WFP. The 6990's run on standard BIOS (switch on 2). Nothing oc'ed there.

I also noticed that when I run Unigine's Heaven 2.5 (DX11) it runs fairly smooth with tesselation dissabled. But when I crank up tesselation the screen starts flickering again, like in the video. I do some more testing. I thought/hoped it would be easier than this!

Regards!

7. KenW New Member

Thanks Received:
    There are many possibilities here. See which one is the culprit.

1. Plug only one monitor and try them each. It could be the DP cable.

2. Check in Windows Resolution if the refresh rate is set correctly.

3. Try different version of Catalyst (install official versions).

4. Disable Crossfire and test the card by themselves.

BTW, do you mean 3960X or 3970X?

8. Gustave

Thanks Received:
    3960X of course. Sleepy head, I am.....:eek:

Thanks for your input....

Any intel on the HD7990?

9. KenW New Member

Thanks Received:
    You had me google for 3970X thought my 3960X got expired :laugh:

I would stick with singe GPU cards for now. Just can't imagine the powerdraw will do to the PCIe slots with 7990s overclocked.

I killed 3 X58 boards with 2x 6990s overclocked :mad: