1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Folding@Home hates minecraft

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by xBruce88x, Oct 11, 2012.

1. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    So apparently Folding@Home's GPU client and minecraft just don't get along. I was playing the free sandbox version... the java web version... and my PPD was pretty low. I looked and saw that it kept getting an UNSTABLE_MACHINE error. So I deleted the data and tried again.. still no luck. Finally closed Minecraft, and now I'm back up to 9k PPD for today, up from about 1500-2k.

anyone else notice this issue with minecraft? I guess I'll just have to run minecraft on my laptop while my pc is folding.

2. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    F@H will not share the GPU with a 3D application. It will throw a fit befitting a 2 year old. 2D applications like web browsers, e-mail, and etc., don't kill F@H but can slow it down.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yep, F@H hates sharing with 3D programs, so just stop F@H when you play minecraft or any other game.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    I just figured it'd be a light enough app but I guess not... no worries... i've got 2 laptops laying around I can use.

My PC seems to be doing pretty well now though... its managed about 12k points today. that's a big improvement since I used to only do about half that about a year or so ago before I upgraded the cooling on my 8800GT and overclocked the shaders.

BUCK NASTY says thanks.