1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Folding Pie and Milestones!!

Discussion in 'Folding@Home' started by El Fiendo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Wow, that's awesome! :rockout:

It seems like it might not be unreasonable for us to be doing close to 1.5mil PPD soon :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Great job stoners :cool:

Ion, whats the situation on your Folding output? Did your client fail and you not notice?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. qu4k3r

qu4k3r

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Well, I'm not addicted to folding but sometimes I feel that my pc is not being squeezed their full potential and so I decided to donate part of its processing power for tasks that benefit others. That's why I fold and crunch.-

4. hertz9753

hertz9753

Thanks Received:
    But you just posted your own milestone.:p Congrats on the 200k.:toast:

5. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    Sorry to bring politics into the conversation, but we DC people here in the US should be talking to our politicians about what we do, the costs that we incur and the impact that "Cap and Trade" would have on us. C&T would triple the cost of electricity and Obama has stated that he wants it. It's already passed the house. Did you ever notice that there aren't any Germans on our team? (not that I've seen anyway, my apologies if I missed someone) Germany subsidizes solar and wind by charging something like $.36 per KWh! Some parts of the US have already jacked up the rates. I think it's Easyrhino, IIRC, who used to Fold but quit when his rates doubled or tripled.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I probably would've too! That's just ridiculous! :shadedshu

7. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    The team has two Danes and we have the same electricty prices as in Germany. If/when the prices rises in the US then I'm sure we will have a hard time netting +1.4M/day. Untill then fold on :)

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Fold while you can, once prices go up (hopefully they don't) We'll be fucked! :(

9. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    I have been seriously thinking of cutting my folding rigs back.At the moment I have 6 rigs running and about 9 GPU's spread out on them.

It costs me about £60/$90 a week to run all my rigs 24/7. I may in the near future have to downsize on the number of rigs running and look at a better solution for the cost.

Also my numbers for yesterday and today will be down, as I have had little internet connection time (problem with ISP), but hopefully all is sorted now.

10. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    To The Honorable <your senator>
    (Room #) (Name) Senate Office Building
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510

It has come to my attention that the Cap and Trade bill has passed in the House of Representatives. Unfortunately, the Cap and Trade bill is likely to triple electricity rates. In these tough economic times, we American citizens would much prefer to avoid such a large increase in electricity costs. Electricity is something that is used all day every day, thus, a large increase in electricity costs would be an unavoidable hindrance. I already pay <insert figure here> a month for electricity, and tripling or even doubling that number to <insert figures here> would simply be unaffordable for me. I implore you to vote "no" on this bill. Thank you for considering. Sincerely,

<your name>

Feel free to "workshop" this letter, as any improvements to it would definitely be welcome. Hmm, we should site the specific bill identifier (e.g. H.R. 1022 is the House version of the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act that they tried to pass in 2007), but I have no clue what it is for this Cap and Trade bill, nor how to find out.

Don't know who your Senator is? Find out!

[Ion] says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Let me quote Ion and say WOW. Thats a lot and I can understand if you want to slim down a bit. I'm sure you know which GPUs to kill first. My best investment (folding and joy wise) was my i7-970 (W3670). I can do 60k PPD for 275 watt. No GPU will ever (next couple of years) come close to that.

12. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Until they do a -bigadv for gpus that is. ;)

You know what I would really like to see from Stanford? An SMP type client that uses multiple GPU threads. Imagine getting work units done at 15 minutes each... although I suppose it would be legendarily difficult to make something that could run on diverse GPUs all at once... example, a 5870 and a GT240 together.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Just wrote letters to my senators about Cap and Trade. They're sitting in the mailbox now.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    hat, I like your letter, but, in my experience, Senators don't have a grasp of how these things affect us little folk. One of my senators recently said that he didn't think that people would notice a $1400 a year tax increase, and it looks like the bum is going to win the election!:mad: My recommended addition to the letter is to show how much you are currently spending on DC, and a brief description of what DC is. Let them know that it would hurt science. A couple more suggestions, wait until after the elections and understand that this is not a currently active bill, but they could try to do something in the middle of the night as they have done before. Lame ducks are dangerous! This thing is a simple majority vote and a signature away from law.

As for those of you Folding with outrageous electricity rates: :respect:

Again, I apologize for even bringing this up, but Folding is an escape activity for me. It makes me feel part of something bigger, something good in this world. To have that taken away would be a great disappointment.:(

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    My dad asked me to either drop back to just CPU or GPU distributed computing, and I opted for WCG vs FAH :ohwell: :(

I'd like to get the GPUs going again, but no ETA :ohwell:
    Thanks!

theonedub says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. TeXBill

TeXBill

Thanks Received:
    Very well said and I agree with you on this BBB. I have to fold it's something that I feel like I'm doing good in this world we have now. Yes it's friendly competition between us and other teams, but mainly it's something I feel like doing to try and change somethings in life.

PhysXerror, thebluebumblebee and [Ion] say thanks.
  17. NastyHabits

NastyHabits

Thanks Received:
    Fifteen Minutes of Fame

Or how to get cherry pie (if but for a moment).

[​IMG]

Just hit a -bigadv at midnight. :)

18. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Wow, congrats! :rockout:

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. mstenholm

Thanks Received:
    Ohh...it has been like that all day. You uploaded a nice -bigadv on a well place time. Sorry to take it away from you but I just uploaded two (76.7k and 91.6k) for the good night pie. Might not be cherry but I settle for less :)

hertz9753 and [Ion] say thanks.
  20. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    I don't think you'll need to settle for anything less than cherry as of now you're our first 100K for the day.:toast:

I still need 3k, Buck 9K, bogmali 12k, TeXBill 13K and NastyHabits 6K. I'd bet all six make it within the next 6 hours and maybe someone else will surprise me.

[Ion], BUCK NASTY and mstenholm say thanks.
  21. BUCK NASTY

BUCK NASTY F@H Mod & 4P Enthusiust Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't apologize for dumping that many points and taking the "cake". You earned it!

:toast:

mstenholm says thanks.
  22. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for all the US folks who's gonna get a little more raped by their politicians.:banghead: The price of the electricity where i live is low (we have the chance to have A LOT of rivers to do hydroelectricity:respect:) but i've seen people pay as much as 6 times :cry:the price i pay per kWh. I fold as much as i can, every pci-e slot is filled with something, just because not everyone can. :toast:

Got the EVGA gtx 460 and the Zotac gt 430 in the mail.:pimp: I'll be back and folding by the next week-end. Just can't wait to load oc them.:rockout: My motherboard feels empty with only one video card. :eek:

I think i'm addicted to folding, or somehting like that...:laugh:

23. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Awesome, enjoy the new cards! :toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    But you told me to talk to my politicians, so I did.

Indeed. Ever since I started folding it's become an integral part of every system I manage, to the best of my ability. Unfortunately, my aunt is sitting on a nice 7750BE and she won't let me install WCG on her machine. I would be quite upset if I were suddenly unable to run F@H/WCG for any reason. Not running them makes me feel like whatever computer isn't running them is being wasted... they could so easily be doing magnificent work, and yet they're not.

thebluebumblebee says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. msgclb

msgclb

Thanks Received:
    TechPowerUp!
    Oct 30, 2010 Pie!

[​IMG]

The team was having another outstanding day when Stanford's GPU3 servers crapped out.
    I know this affected my total points as I'm sure it did for many others.
    Still today we had five folders with more that 100K.
    :rockout:MStenholm grabbed the cherry with 187K+ followed by Buck, NastyHabits, msgclb and TeXBill.
    Next was bogmali at 99K+ and I'd bet he had GPU3 server problems along with Fits, Hertz, Oily and El_Fiendo.

Congratulations to all pie club members. :toast:

And now our Free-DC points.:toast:

Column 1
    0 Free-DC Team Points Today Yesterday
    1 TechPowerUp! 1,317,627 1,446,292

Milestones!
    King_Wookie passes 1,100,000
    ocgmj passes 200
    Qu4k3r passes 200,000
    TwoSheds passes 50,000

Members Joining Today
    ocgmj joins as new

Welcome to the team ocgmj. :toast:

Leading off we have :toast:King_Wookie adding 100K to his 1st million. Congrats.
    Next we have :toast:Qu4k3r with his addicting 200,000.
    Working on their folding badge we have :toast:TwoSheds and our newest member :toast:ocgmj.

And now the certificates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congratulations all. :toast: