1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

For how many hours per day does your PC run?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Mar 22, 2013.

?

For how many hours per day does your PC run?

Poll closed Apr 29, 2013.
  1. up to 2 hours

308 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. up to 5 hours

1,580 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. up to 10 hours

3,288 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. I never switch it off

2,258 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    I'm not gaming as much now. Gaming rig hasn't been powered in atleast 2 weeks. Been using lappy. Weekends it's on all day and turned off at night. Weekdays its 2-3 hours for school work.

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure if it was good enough to qualify as a joke. :p

3. Cotton_Cup

Cotton_Cup

Thanks Received:
    all my pc at home runes 24/7 some are just idle and the rest are like downloading stuff and my working pc renders stuff and I leave it on and it goes idle when I don't need it but I never keep it on sleep mode just normal open stuff.

Once a month I turn them all off for 5min max then keep them on again I clean them up once ever 2 months or 5 depends whether I feel lazy or not. I have a laptop old one I keep 24/7 and seems like it's dying but it's ok it's really old anyway and I've milked out what I needed from it. of course on my system that are overclocked I keep those power saving stuff on. while the others are just on default.

4. SaiZo

SaiZo

Thanks Received:
    During weekends my main system (this one) is usually on for 10 hrs, sometimes more during the weekends. I have an extra system I'm trying to get up and running (HP 3000 slim).

5. puma99dk|

puma99dk|

Thanks Received:
    my run is turned on 24-7, i use it for gaming, surfing, htpc and so on so i don't really turn it off ^^;

i only turn it off, or reboot, changing parts ^^

6. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thought i'd make one comment to derail things:

some people leave their stuff on 24/7, i dont for power, heat and noise reasons.

my laptop stays on a lot however, because it uses a mere 11W of power with the screen on at idle, and about 22W for HD movie watching.

An interesting question would be - to those who leave their PC on, do you not care about the heat/power/noise? or do you minimise it?

7. Retrophe New Member

Thanks Received:
    Lol I don't need them to beat the games, just to have fun. Just cause 2 is fun to screw around in when you have multiple cables and unbreakable, like attaching cars to to panes, people to cars, planes, ect. lol

8. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Heat: Yes, very much. It's cold here in WI and the computer keeps the room warmer.
    Power : No. I just let the computer sleep when not in use. I don't really care if it were to stay running all the time. Someone has to make sure the grid is working.
    Noise : What? Can you speak up? :p

9. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    Primary PC stays on 24/7, no power-saving.
    HTPC hibernates when not in use.
    Work laptop stays on pretty close to 24/7, because the company image has a ton of crap that takes forever to load on startup or coming out of sleep mode on this crappy old thing.
    Personal laptop is almost never used and is off almost 24/7.

10. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    I can't believe there is no option between 10 h/day and 24/7.
    I sleep about 7 hours so my PC is on 17 hours a day.
    At night, I always put it on standby ... I shut down when installing updates.
    Same goes for my girlfriend's PC, only she shuts down always.
    So, 2 PCs, 17 hours a day ... I'm voting 24/7

11. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Poll needs updating. I switch off my PC every day. But it is running from 8am to some time between 5pm and midnight on workdays, and some hours over the weekend. So Over 10 hours but less than never switch off.

I probably WOULD leave it on 24/7 if it had lower power consumption and was silent. It is neither. So off it goes once I know I don't need it again that day.

12. manofthem

manofthem

Thanks Received:
    Minimize noise by water cooling. My main pc with the fans in the 2 rads going is substantially more quiet than a typical air cooler pc

Currently with my secondary pc hooked up right next to my main rig, noise has increased and I started to notice a slight increase in heat output. It hasn't bothered me much, and AC handles the rest.

Power - I'm not going to worry about that yet. When the FPL (Florida power and light) bill goes through the roof, I'll worry then. As it is now I haven't seen too drastic of a change.

mjkmike says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. BiggieShady

BiggieShady

Thanks Received:
    When I make a new build, I tend to pick less noisy components.
    On idle it has to be near silent, and I use power profiles so when it's idle it spends as much power as a light bulb.
    I don't overclock for everyday work, and the system is generally always under 40C.
    I game few hours a day, and in cpu/gpu intensive games that's when I hear it until I turn up my speakers :rockout:

14. theJesus

theJesus

Thanks Received:
    My main PC that I keep on 24/7 is located in a dedicated room, which I like to think of as my "home-office". I designed it to be cool 'n' quiet to begin with and the power draw is minimal at idle with a very efficient PSU. The only component that gets hot 'n' loud is the GPU, but only when it's under load, which isn't often these days.

In any case, even if it was loud and hot during idle, I wouldn't notice because I wouldn't be in the room. The power bill doesn't seem to get affected too much by a modern PC running idle 24/7. Power bill becomes an issue for those who leave their high-powered rigs crunching 24/7, which I do not do.

15. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    :0 you mean im ment to turn if off

mostly its left on 24/7 unless im away and I'll just turn it off

when it is on and im not actively using it, I use throttling software too min electricty bills but thats about it

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  16. BigMack70

Thanks Received:
    Free power + making bitcoins = I can handle a little bit of noise :toast:

17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    It really depends with all the games coming out I have had it on 24/7 to download them, but typically it just stays on while I am sleeping to charge all of my electronic devices (standby rail can't handle quite that much).

As for the noise and heat...at all times it is quieter than the rooms A/C.

18. naraku

naraku

Thanks Received:
    It's always on when I'm home. Doesn't matter if i'm using it or not. So probably around 12hrs-14hrs and almost non-stop on weekends.

19. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Minimize it. There's four, soon to be five systems here that more or less run all the time. I leave a lot of the power saving features enabled and don't really overclock anymore. Just the let the Intel and AMD turbo modes do their thing.

If we're going to be gone for the day we'll usually turn them all off.

20. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Noise doesn't bother me in the slightest. I actually prefer some background fan noise. Heat is solved by leaving the window open and enjoying the lovely spring weather. And power is free from the university.

manofthem says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  21. zenlaserman

zenlaserman

Thanks Received:
    My main home PC (system specs) has run 24/7 pretty much since I built it in 2007. Aside from 2 GPU replacements (2900XT -> 3850 -> 4850 X2) and HDD upgrades, it's been up and running.

It's noisy, but my main PC is usually playing music, movies, and games anyway. When I'm at work it runs SETI. I love this old i975X rig! :D

22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    My main rig gets turned off at night. so around 10 hours a day. My file server runs 24/7. Only consumes like 40-50w anyways.

23. Feänor

Feänor New Member

Thanks Received:
    As a folder, all my systems (a sr-2/l5639 rig, a celeron/mini-itx combo running two gtx 460 2win and my main i7 970@4,2 ghz/gtx 295 rig) are running 24/7!

Noise, well, speak louder, i can't hear you!

Heat: with an open window and 0c outside temp, it's 27c inside my living room...

Power: at 7 cents a KW/h, i don't really care. I consider that money my personal donation to science.

mjkmike, [Ion] and Norton say thanks.
  24. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    24/7 ,, Sleep's after 5 minutes of inactivity, which only kick's in when it's bed time, Aside from that all day, Every day.

25. Major_A

Major_A

Thanks Received:
    HTPC stays on all time (TV tuner card). My "main PC" in my System Specs is on only when I need it. Otherwise it will heat my room up easily 5 degrees Fahrenheit if I leave it on sitting idle. The PC I'm typing this on stays on 24/7/365 unless Windows won't stop bugging me about restarting the PC to apply an update.