1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

For or against "Rootkits" and SecuROM-type hardware locking

Discussion in 'General Software' started by lemonadesoda, Aug 26, 2007.

?

For or against?

1. AGAINST: I am against rootkits and SecuROM a la SONY

91.4%
  2. FOR: I dont mind rootkits and SecuROM playing with my PC and limiting my legitimate use

5.7%
  3. CLUELESS: I don't understand the question

2.9%
  1. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Please vote on this poll. It seems that SONY (and others) are getting into the "screw-the-customer-and-their-PC" game again.

I am totally against outright software piracy. This poll is not about piracy. But I am also totally against legitimate paid-for software screwing with your PC or being a "one-off" license that does not allow you to change your hardware.

So, your voices please. Press your buttons now.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  2. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi New Member

Thanks Received:
    wheres teh pool?

edit: fixed
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG] (seen elsewhere in this forum)
  4. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    just because its easier to pirate a game on the 360,dont make it better with its inferior graphics hardware.
  5. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Bioshock changes its "server rules" to allow 5 installs. But that's it! 5 installs (or hardware upgrades, or reinstalls of your OS, or partion movements) and YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.

I am fully against this type of "sale". ie. license to install but not own.
  6. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    NO MORE MOTHERFING CRAP screw all this dumb anti pirate ware it can and will be cracked so just stop trying you stupid sony emulators
  7. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    I agree with you, and the longer we let them get away with it, the worse it will get. But I'm sure situations like that will start to dither away due to loss of money and possibly class-action law-suits. Time will tell.
  8. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    If anyone in here votes YES.....

Well....
    :nutkick::nutkick::nutkick::nutkick:
    :slap::slap::slap::slap::slap:
  9. theonetruewill New Member

Thanks Received:
    London - Close your eyes and you'll see me
    The poll results are so far unsurprising:laugh:
  10. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    i respect the pain and the thoughts of the developers but as i see there must be a way to stop piracy it doesn't harm just the companies but from what we can see and us the users...

before flaming remember those people have give mind and soul for this game but this doesn't give them the right to strangle us the consumers
  11. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    well for me, it depends if that company puts a disclaimer out first stating what they software additions/restrictions are...
  12. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I am going to say it this way:

Bioshock: Amazing game
    This shit we have to deal with: Not necessary, if the pirates want free games, they are gonna do it anyway! NO WAY IS FOOLPROOF.
  13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Pirates are just going to go out and remove all the protection, all they are doing is making it worse for the legit paying customer.
  14. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Disclaimer or not... This should simply be illegal...

ATT when they had a monopoly on communications were forcing people to buy new equipment when it was previously owned by someone who owed them money. They made a law saying no you can't do that...

Sorry but somewhere people have to stand up and stop taking it in the ARSE!

Just wait until Microsoft releases windows and says you can use it for 6 months and then you have to buy it again, or it will cost you $0.25 per hour you use windows and it wont run unless you have an open connection to their server...

Then what are you going to do...

Well just to illiterate this kinda crap is exactly how extreme things like that start to happen, its been shown over and over again, stand up and stop dealing with it, or be completely screwed and let the corporations control you...

Your decision.
  15. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    True... and its also true it would be nice to see pirates just disappear and prices go back down to reality and copy protection leave... But lets be honest not going to happen, so maybe these huge corporations should start cutting their paychecks and we shouldn't let them push the paying customers around like cattle.
  16. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I am right now reading the forums of the Bioshock website... Once a hate post gets put up, the person gets banned, and then the thread goes away! LOL.
  17. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    The idea of a disclaimer is that you know what you are getting into before you commit to it. So if you dont like their concept, you dont have to buy. But if you bought something, but later find out that there is limits and restrictions, than that should be illegal, and i believe it is. When you buy a piece of software, you dont actually own the software, but you bought a license to use that software, and that license can last a certain period of time or limits you to certain use. This is not new for software in general (there are software, such as antivirus that you have to renew every year), but new to video games. Sooner or latter this is gonna be a norm... :(
  18. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    someone wanted to be funny and vote yes for it. Thats just ridiculous, anything damaging to the pc isnt good, I dont care what the intentions.
  19. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Ya and thats the issue... Thats what needs to come to an end... You can tell me for say Electronic Art's doesn't make enough money....

Certain hollywood companies are already pushing for buy a movie you view it 15 times and too bad buy it again.... That is some serious bullshit, nobody will really disagree with me on this point...

But thats why people have to stop letting these companies pull this crap off, because each step brings them closer and closer, you cut them off short and they can't bring it further.

Think about it on this angle..

Microsoft played lots of games and pissed people off with Vista... What just happened, vista flopped and Linux has taken a huge chunk of certain markets, and its growing faster then ever. Now with the new chips you can run Mac OS.... Now microsoft is in trouble, are they going to dissolve or shutdown no... But what it is going to do is force them to start changing the way they do business.

Same thing across the boards, tell these companies off by not buying their crap with their crap terms, it will force them to change, or they will simply go bankrupt, their choice at that point but if they refuse to change they are too stupid to be in business to start with.
  20. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    I think we should just edit the votes and take that one out :toast:
  21. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I would like to see a picture of all the "FOR" voters, bending over. :roll:
  22. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Indeed.....

My comments above probably make me sound a little crazy, but when it comes to stuff like this I am crazy about it...

I refuse to buy a lot of games simply because they require online connections, you can't get a cd all that happy crap... I simply refuse to deal with that kinda crap... I mean I didn't even get counter strike source till I figured out how to play it online with friends without logging into Steam.
  23. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    The thing is that they can pull this crap off. As you said with Vista, sure customer are being screwed, so what isn't MS suffering million lawsuits??? Because right before you started windows the first time, there was a terms and condition agreement. Now if you have accepted the condition with out reading, this is not MS problem.

People are too ignorant, and accept the companies terms and condition with out read.

What to government needs to do is makes this terms and conditions easy to read, short and to the point, and available and known to consumers.
  24. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    Problem is they can't do that without leaving legal loopholes...

I know there is not much only a few can do either but if your not part of the solution your part of the problem.
  25. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    they should release a pirates version for the pc with no rootshit on it,at the grand price of nothing.:laugh: