1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Force USB headset to work as 3.5mm device?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by RuskiSnajper, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Is there some hack or tweak that will disable the chip on the USB headset and the windows drivers that ignores my dedicated sound card.

So I can have my Xonar D1 takeo over the sound.

That's only for like "i was wondering" but it's not critical since , im just trying to see if the headset is any better than the earphones with sound card (which surprisingly sounds amazing) i usually plug it in the 5.1 sorround set in the 3.5mm jack in the volume control.

The other thing is , is there actually possible to forward sound card output towards the mobo instead of hardware jackouts.

2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you could cut off the cable going to the headphone and solder on a 3.5mm connector

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't think that will work, I think you need to rip open your headphone and solder a bypass cable.

4. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah heard about something like this but i guess bypass is the way to go , now , well , the goal is doing this without damaging the headphones it self , i would also need to bypass the chips inside the headphone , since volume control is handled by sound card.

Well it's atleast more straightforward than hooking your console to LCD monitor without tv card.

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    You will have to figure out where the DAC chip is located. Is it inside the headset, or is it on the cable?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    How could I know , those are the headsets http://tinyurl.com/3ywjl8w click on the other pics , i think the chip is in one of the sided , were the cable gets in imo

7. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Yea, the chip is in that USB "thumb drive" looking thing. So that is where you cut and splice.

8. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Does that have the volume rotary on the ear cup? Honestly I'd say those aren't really worth the effort...unless your curiosity is getting the best of ya, then dig in, strip a section of that cable a few inches up from the USB module and see how many wires reside in there...if it's only two, I'd say give it a whirl with a 3.5mm connector, if more then that I'd say get a real pair of headphones, use them with your sound card, get a zalman clip-on mic and enjoy (depending on what's available to you in Slovenia).

9. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Yeah it has volume control on the ear and some setting between "voice" and "game" mode , but the volume control should not be interfeering with 3.5mm right? It's independent from the sound chip right?

Well , much is available, it just get's here later , some stuff much later , but things are improving with import speed in the recent years.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010