1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Force Vsync

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by marcosamerio, Oct 14, 2012.

1. marcosamerio

Thanks Received:
    Hi all my name is marcos and i have a question

┬┐wich is better force vsync, trought control panel or d3doverrider?

Bye all
  2. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't matter they are doing the same job. I just let the games v-sync do the job...
  3. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It is claimed you can get little to no FPS hit if doing it with D3DO, but only if you use D3DO for Triple Buffering too. I'm not sure I buy it though.
  4. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    There's still the issue that triple buffering is not a native Direct 3d function.
    All D3D games should offer it (only some do sadly). <--- Revised, that reads wrong. No D3D games do it, and D3DO doesn't always work.

A better option is to use a frame capper, which some games have in the graphics options.
    If not, this program is great. http://dxtory.com/v2-download-en.html

At first glance it doesn't look relevant, but once you set it up, you'll see what I mean.
    If you need help, there's plenty of people whom have asked the question 'how do I set the frame capper?' Once that's done, you don't need Vsync. I know people who leave Vsync and triple buffering off all the time now. They use Dxtory to cap frames instead.

This is also particularly useful for games that have coding issues like Skyrim. Skyrim had a horrible hitching symptom when you'd move the mouse on the Y axis with (and sometimes without) Vsync on. Using Dxtory and capping to 59 FPS made it smooth again.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  5. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah DxTory is a great tool, and I prefer it over Fraps even for capturing anymore. Capping FPS often times won't fix severe screen tear though. Some games on certain LCD screens are a bear unless you use Vsync.