1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Force3D Radeon 4850 VBIOS update and artifacts after

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by MaKCuMyC, Mar 27, 2011.

1. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
    Greetings all,
    I got Force3D Radeon 4850 with artifacts in 2D and non working 3D after the vbios update.
    I down atiflash for DOS. Since there is no original vbios backup I down some generic ATI roms from techpowerup vgabios collection.
    I connect card to the second PCI-E in my system and try to flash folowing vbios:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/16780/ATI.HD4850.512.080523.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/20497/ATI.HD4850.512.080523_1.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/17606/ATI.HD4850.512.080602.html
    from DOS with comand atiflash -p 0 %file_name%, flashing was succesfull but there is no result, card still not working properly.

May be I miss something?
    Any ideas to fix card are welcome.

2. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
  3. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
    I found on Force3D site that there are several 4850 cards. My card is 4850 AC L1.
    So maybe it has different bios?

Does anyone has 4850 AC L1 card?

4. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    well try flashing one with lower memory clocks

5. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
  6. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
    for example?

7. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
    I think I found original bios for my card — it is Club3D HD 4850 512 MB BIOS .
    I found two ownes of the same card and ask them to make copy of bios. All files were identical and had md5 fd5e9dd062b7a754306da46cea5424c1.

But flashing this vbios don't brought any result — card still not working right.

8. Hellraiser1981

Thanks Received:
    Did u try to clean out and reinstall the drivers. I've had gibberish "stuck" in the driver cache numerous times on both ati and nv hardware.

Wow, really need to update my profile, LOL

9. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    Why would you flash your card with a BIOS from another manufacturer? That's just a recipie for disaster. In all likelihood, your card has a different PCB than the BIOS you downloaded was intended for, so it's incompatible and causing issues.

Just flash back to your original BIOS and don't do this sort of thing again unless you have a damn good reason and not just so you can get higer clocks.

10. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:

Hi,

the problem is mostly caused by bioses that are meant for different branded HD 4850 models (i.e. the ones you have tried out on your card), which do not match with yours, either because the usage of different videoram chips (Samsung, Hynix, Elpida etc.) and/or different timings & latency of these videoram chips on these cards. So it's really difficult to fix it if you do not know the original timings/latency of your Force3D HD 4850. Also you may have damaged the card by using these bioses without any knowledge of them, e.g. voltages for the gpu, memory etc..

What you can do is, explain what you did to Force3D, hope that the people there would understand the whole situation and would send you a copy of the bios for your specific model of HD 4850. Otherwise you need to buy an other card, because your current one is unusable.

Red_Machine says thanks.
  11. Hellraiser1981

Thanks Received:
    you might want to load the vbios up in rabit and compare the timings to the manufacturer datasheet for the vram. Also use a driver cleaner and reinstall drivers when you have a corrupted vbios. the artifacts can remain even after the correct bios is flashed back. Had it happen before, not many good explanations tho.

12. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Why flash the BIOS in the first place and why didn't yo make a back up of the original before flashing the BIOS?

13. Hellraiser1981

Thanks Received:
    wait you said you plugged it into the 2nd pci-e slot? are you using a different card for vga? if its not the primary card you are trying to flash it would be atiflash -p 1 %file_name%

14. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received:
    First, thank you all for your replies and your desire to help!

Card fails even before Windows boots.
    There is one mode, where image is without artifacts — when pci-e power isn't connected and card displays red text alert of that.

I can't get answer on this, because I got this card as gift (if I can repair it, I can use it) from man who try to flash it.
    I asked, what he trying to flash and he say one of generic ATI vbios. He flash from windows with default Ati Winflash, so he can't flash rom from different pcb or part number.
    As I say, I found identical Force3D. But flashing bios from is didn't correct situation.

my first card is GeForce GT 240. So, I think, it is right -p 0 :).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  15. MaKCuMyC

MaKCuMyC

Thanks Received: