1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ForeSight Systems Pertelian X2040

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by Darksaber, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2007
  2. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    can you test it to see if it works with lcd studio, 3rd party lcd customization software ?

3. Protius New Member

Thanks Received:
    pretty cool

4. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thats actually pretty schweet. but with vista's sideshow coming on the scene, especially with those diy mobos from asus coming out with sideshow units, this is going to become obsolete pretty fast. maybe its a poor-man's sideshow.....idk.

5. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    4 line? thats gay...for 20 bucks more, just get a g15...it has a higher lcd field, contrast control, and buttons to scroll data.

is there any buttons on the unit itself?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  6. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    lcdstudio 2.0 doesn't support character based lcd screens...but lcdstudio 1.5 does, but through a parallel cable.

7. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Can it be configured to monitor voltages and temps?

8. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
  9. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Crap, speedfan doesn't work right on my board. I get erratic readings off of my sensors.

The G15 display does look nice, but I hate large keyboards. I actually use an Apple keyboard on my PC because of this. Not optimal, as it doesn't have the insert, prtscr, and a couple of other buttons. Been eying the Saitek Eclipse for a while tho.

Back on topic: I was thinking this could be a cheap way to monitor temps and volts while benching or gaming.

10. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    From what i hear, you can get a cheap old palm for 10-15 bucks are program it to say anything...which is neat cuz it has the inputs and a large screen.

11. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Now that's something I never thought of. Thanx, ktr.

12. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    yep. its called palmorb, runs thru the usb/serial/bt sync setup. essentially, it emulates a 4x16 (i think, beta versions are larger) matrix orbital alphanumeric LCD. Works with LCDSmartie, etc.

IMO, its pretty cool, but it can't do graphics, etc, like the g15 can. but still, a cheap palm is great for that kind of thing.

13. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    sweet! something to do with my TX...i do have an orginal palm, but it restarts every time you turn it upside down it restarts...lol

14. Scavar

Scavar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can someone give me the reasoning behind why you would want a little screen somewhere else telling you things that you can look at on your monitor? Or is it along the samelines of using like Dual View for monitors? Heh

The Saitek Eclipse is a nice keyboard by the way. I have the original. Had it for at least two years now. I wouldn't get the Saitek Eclipse II though, at least not if you are getting it for the light up effects, which it doesn't seem you are. Also Logitech as a newer keyboard out thats really nice...has some weird stuff on it though...and it cost like a 100$

15. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    Well the object is to be able to view data, while doing something else that occupies the entire screen, like gaming, or watching a movie. Why pay another something-something for another monitor (and power cost to run it) when you can have a small screen,

I checked out the eclipse II at circuit city today, and it wasnt any better than a basic keyboard, the buttons felt funky too (like if they were spring loaded). the g15 is around 60-70bucks on sale, which shows up often.

16. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    ahh the tx is a nice palm.

i have a zire 72, its slowly dying. a combination of dog chewing (slightly damaged digitizer) and a dying battery (froze a coupla times in yellowstone) has severely limited my palm's usage. bah.

might pick up a new battery soon tho.

or maybe i'll just buy a new one.

17. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    So i got it working with my tx via bluetooth (wireless lcd ftw!)...its neat, but i wish for a larger screen...i shall try the beta version and see if they are good.

18. randomperson21

Thanks Received:
    schweet, glad to hear it works. the beta version has some issues, because only certain programs work with the unusual lcd layout. theres a list of compatible software in the beta page so you know what will work and what doesn't. i think beta version b fills up most of a 320x320 display, so you're still going to be running with virtural grafitti on the bottom.

19. ktr

ktr

Thanks Received:
    I am gonna try out lcdstudio 1.5 & the latest alpha and see what more i can do.

20. Darksaber

Darksaber W1zzard's Sidekick Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just want to let you guys know, that there has been a update to the software with new features. Check out page 5 of the review with updated info!

cheers
    DS