1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Foxconn Admits to Breach of Anti- Child Labor Laws

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Oct 16, 2012.

1. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    self contained town pretty much dude

thus taking away work.

2. Prima.Vera

Prima.Vera

Thanks Received:
    Children working in most Asian countries (except Japan and Korea) is a common scene seen everywhere. Just saying....

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  3. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    As already pointed out, Foxconn is a first tier ODM/OEM and make damn near everything. Resting the blame on Apple's shoulders alone is just stupid when the list I cited earlier includes virtually every major PC, laptop, tablet, console, and smartphone vendor on the market in addition to other industry leaders.

While I own an iPad 3 and iPhone 4S (and previously opened each version up to these, along with various Droid devices), I am no more supporting this behavior than anyone else. If your Droid Razr MAXX and Galaxy S III are made 2 factory floors away, you are not a supporter of this behavior either. If consumers had the choice we would insist our products he made here in the USA. I bought an all American muscle car for example...but despite the Detroit connection it was actually built in Canada with a HEMI forged in Mexico. Does this mean I'm supporting the Mexican drug cartels? Or that I am against the workers unions in Canada?

I would strongly encourage Apple to make their products in the US, and I would even pay MORE for them if they had been. But for now all I can do is hope, comment, and let my voice be known to Apple on the matter.

In fact I think Apple may eventually move production to the US at some point, for some products. As it stands they have just officially become a legitimate CPU designer which shows they are focusing on controlling more aspects of performance, so surely the focus on manufacturing will come at some point.

But I find it hard to believe any other vendors would take on such a risk and costly endeavor. Competition is just too fierce, and profit margins already slipping as devices get more complex. I doubt you'll see anyone else dumping the cash into something that won't pay off for awhile.

Chevalr1c says thanks.