1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fps needed for smooth game play

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Darkgundam111, May 13, 2009.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Game at 1024x768? I certainly do not! lol Modern high-end cards certainly don't struggle above 1368x768 - only if the game is very demanding.

For example, with my new system (see specs) I can play UT3 at 2048x1536 @ 60Hz vsync locked and max details with no dropped frames. :rockout: If I let the card freewheel, the system will do anywhere between 70-120fps, depending on what it's doing.

Note that my monitor won't do more than 60Hz at this resolution.

2. qubit

Thanks Received:
    +1

3. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    eh like someone mentioned before 35+ for most enjoyable imo. but only exception has been crysis where 23+ felt smooth. Like in css if i drop to 30 fps i lag, 45 jittery not till 60 does it feel smooth, so 60+ for css. games likes EE2 i can play comfortably at 21fps. just depends

4. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    IMO 30+ is adequet:)
    my 8600GT struggles to get 40:(

5. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Indeed it would do. As the monitor is likely to be working at 60Hz, then this is the rate that your game should be rendering at. It should be locked to vsync too, to prevent motion artifacts, to produce that truly smooth animation.

6. Evo85

Thanks Received:
    You have to take a realistic look at the game.

WoW for example. I can get 100+ in most areas. But in Dalaran I am lucky to see 40.

If you are getting 40+, that should be good enough for most games.

Anything over 60 you wont be able to tell by looking anyways. Well, except for the screen tearing. :p

7. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    20+ is good, so long as it doesn't go below that. The problem is the deviation from the min and max on that number. As enthusiasts, we assume that 60 is the starting point, when on the contrary, 60 is the max. If a game were to run at exactly 20FPS the entire time, no more no less (ive tested it with limited frames) it would be very playable and quite smooth. Did you know (in america) that movies are only at 25 FPS?

8. Cheeseball

Thanks Received:
    But remember, in the movies, you're viewing it on a giant screen, so you can't really see any sort of page flipping.

9. OnBoard

OnBoard New Member

Thanks Received:
    60FPS for shooters and racing, 30FPS+ for others.

Anyways, I put settings as high as I can while still getting 30FPS average; Crysis/Cryostasis come to mind. Online is a different story again to get smooth.

10. Bitolas

Bitolas New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd say 60 FPS

11. Darkgundam111 New Member

Thanks Received:
    hmm, lots of opinions here. Guess there is no real magic number, just as long as the game works well XD.

12. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    sorry for being so stupid ! but how do you tell what frames you are getting ?

what recording software is used ?

i just go with the feel/look etc ?

I am getting old i know , Cough..

13. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    most games have an in-game command that will display your fps, but if you don't want to find out if a specific game does, we just use Fraps. download and install it, then just run it before playing a game and it'll show you your fps in the top right corner, though which corner can also be changed.

jamupnorth says thanks.
  14. jamupnorth

jamupnorth New Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting ? i will have go mmm

15. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    It really depends on the game and person, but some games are terrible below 60 fps, like Quake and Call of Duty which, as stated before were made for 125 fps.

But you dont want to go to far below 30 fps in games that require reaction times, a lower framerate can also affect the amount of on screen input delay.

16. qubit

Thanks Received:
    20 fps would look horribly juddery the whole time. The fact that it's constant doesn't make it any better. For smooth motion, you need to be locked at vsync, regardless of the screen refresh rate. I've had a monitor refresh at 120Hz and the game at 60fps and you could see the judder very obviously. However, refresh the monitor at 60Hz and the judder is eliminated.

You see the judder, because the frame is being displayed twice - the picture literally moves one frame and stops for two.

And yes, the movies are at 25fps and I can see motion judder all the time; it's very unpleasant. It's immediately obvious when you're watching video as it's at 50Hz and looks way better.

Of course running your screen at 60Hz and your game at 120fps would still look perfectly smooth - but be twice as hard on your system... ;)

17. qubit

Thanks Received:
    125Hz - how so? They look fine at my usual rate of 85Hz/fps, same as any other game.

18. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    For me, it's 50fps or I don't play. Period.

19. qubit

Thanks Received:
    Yes, there is a magic number: it's the one where fps = screen refresh rate. Period.

20. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    I think its not a specific number or formula but whatever the user finds acceptable. After playing GTAIV on the pc at 60fps then playing it on the xbox its very slow and crappy even on the same monitor but to others they dont notice any lag.

21. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I too would like to know where this magic number of 125Hz came from. it sounds completely made up.

Consoles and movies use motion blur to trick your eyes into thinking its a more fluid image. if your eyes/brain can identify the blurring, you dont see it as a smooth image like other people.

22. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Isn't motion blur caused by the fact your eyes can't respond fast enough to the moving object so your brain tries to create an image of where it would be at that time hence the blurring. TheMailMan had an excellent link to the blue man group who explained it perfectly.♦

23. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    motion blur is an open term. it can describe a few things.

Start up a DVD movie, and pause it on a scene where things are moving. you'll notice the blurring right away. by having each frame contain bits of the frame before and after itself, it smooths the transition making it less of a sudden jump between frames.

24. jmcslob

Thanks Received:
    Ok my bad on your resolution, however the point was made with Crysis, witch is demanding and so is just about every game i play Farcry,Cod 4-5

25. Jeffredo

Jeffredo

Thanks Received:
    On most games I play 40+ does it. 30-40 I notice its slowing and 20-30 it starts getting that slide show type effect. Considering my hardware less than 35 FPS is happening more and more.