• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fraud involving a video game distributor?

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
Has anyone ever had experience involving fraud with a company such as Steam/Gamefly/greenmangaming? If so how have you resolved it? I am currently having issues with greenmangaming not giving me content I pre-ordered saying the payment was not authorized by my bank however it HAS been deducted from my account and authorized by my bank as confirmed on two separate occasions today. It seems I have no choice but to file fraud charges against GMG and I am just wondering if this is something that occurs more often than most are aware of?

Sorry for the wall of text just kind of looking for some sort of opinion from the tpu community on this. :cry:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
Documentation is your friend here. I would make sure to contact your bank with valid any documentation you have regarding the incident. Get the two institutions talking, and make them aware that this is an issue. Most likely this isn't fraud, but it does need to get resolved. If you have used paypal to make a payment they could very well be your problem. I almost went berzerk on pizzahut because of a paypal FUBAR.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Documentation is your friend here. I would make sure to contact your bank with valid any documentation you have regarding the incident. Get the two institutions talking, and make them aware that this is an issue. Most likely this isn't fraud, but it does need to get resolved. If you have used paypal to make a payment they could very well be your problem. I almost went berzerk on pizzahut because of a paypal FUBAR.

It was actually with a debit card which I have previously used for rather extensive purchases and my bank has the charges listed in their system. I have already visited my bank twice in person to confirm and they are the ones telling me that if my content is not given to me I have no choice but to claim fraud to get my money back.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Have you tried to contact directly greenmangaming? I bought some games from them and never had a problem (no preorders though). Anyway, you should have an order confirmation from them. Do you have it?

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Have you tried to contact directly greenmangaming? I bought some games from them and never had a problem (no preorders though). Anyway, you should have an order confirmation from them. Do you have it?

I have been in contact with them directly since this morning and I never received an order confirmation only a charge to my checking account and confirmation from my bank (which I have seen myself) that the payment to GMG went through.

As a college student the amount I paid for the pre-order ($36) is a rather significant amount of money and I only pre-ordered from them after various other TPU members did the same with no issues.

I have also never had a problem with my card before be it on Amazon/Steam or Origin.

Edit: It also seems that there support is closed for the day as I have not received a reply from them in several hours.

Processor 2500K / 6600K
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Don't expect an instant reply based on a ticket. Well, all that I can say is try to call, they have a phone number for customer support, it's UK so call at appropriate hours from US. Maybe you have a chance with that.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Don't expect an instant reply based on a ticket. Well, all that I can say is try to call, they have a phone number for customer support, it's UK so call at appropriate hours from US. Maybe you have a chance with that.

I have had something in the neighborhood of 5-6 responses through my ticket. They were very prompt in replying (something like within 15 minutes of me submitting a ticket) just not helpful. Not once have they done anything besides deny that they received the payment even when my bank has evidence the payment went through and I have repeatedly told them that. If I don't get anywhere constructive between now and Wednesday I will have to charge them with fraud as roughly 75% of what I had in my checking account was used for the purchase.

Just a note my checking account is exclusively for things such as online purchases of games or fast food so I'm not blowing money that has a better purpose for the record :laugh:

Edit: I also have been unable to find a support phone number and even if I did my cellphone can't make international calls :/

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
As long as you've provided documentation/context to the effect of; you took my money, my bank shows that you took it, it's not there now, my bank can confirm that if you want, but I'll have no option than to report the charge as fraudulent without further assistance. I'd say don't worry about the recourse. Those reps are being sort of lazy if I understand your issue.

Processor i7 3820
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling corsair H100 and lots of fans
Memory 32gb G.skill
Video Card(s) MSI Lightning Radeon HD 6970
Storage PCI-E Revodrive 3 X2 MAX IOPS 240GB
Display(s) 27" Samsung S27A950D
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Power Supply Antec Truepower 1KW
Software Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores 1600 MB/s storage read speed
When will your pre-order be available? Don't expect an equitable reply instantly. I would wait at least one full business day after you made the purchase for it to show up for them.

Check the policies of your bank for fraud claims and time limits on making claims. Compare that to greenmangaming's policies to make sure you are able to make a claim and don't let them string you along. I once had a claim revoked because I took too long to file it. It was from an out of business storage company who changed hands in my absence.

You're still on the good side of the situation, just give people some time to work. If they continue to give you the runaround, elevate your claim to someone higher.

Processor 2500K / 6600K
Customer Support: +44 (0) 330 500 1515

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
As long as you've provided documentation/context to the effect of; you took my money, my bank shows that you took it, it's not there now, my bank can confirm that if you want, but I'll have no option than to report the charge as fraudulent without further assistance. I'd say don't worry about the recourse. Those reps are being sort of lazy if I understand your issue.

They indeed seem to be being lazy as the rep I am working with has changed what he said. First he told me I did not provide all the required information (a blatantly false statement to begin with). I was then told that my bank is lying to me (and apparently my eyes as well because they showed me the transaction authorization). After I told them that they proceeded to say my bank was wrong (why not just admit their mistake rather than get a bad rep?).

When will your pre-order be available? Don't expect an equitable reply instantly. I would wait at least one full business day after you made the purchase for it to show up for them.

Check the policies of your bank for fraud claims and time limits on making claims. Compare that to greenmangaming's policies to make sure you are able to make a claim and don't let them string you along. I once had a claim revoked because I took too long to file it. It was from an out of business storage company who changed hands in my absence.

You're still on the good side of the situation, just give people some time to work. If they continue to give you the runaround, elevate your claim to someone higher.

They maintain that my order never went through when I have evidence from my bank to the contrary. I will also be making my claim wednesday so time should not be a problem in regards to filing my claim.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Okay they are being hit with fraud charges now. They are still denying that they received any money and apparently they are closing my account (without my consent and without giving me my content). GMG is a terrible company to do business with if this is how they regularly treat their customers.

Wednesday of this week I will be filing charges of fraud against GMG.
I implore the members of TPU to avoid this company if this is how they are treating customers!

Also my account still registers the payment being taken so them saying I was refunded immediately is a load of crap.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
Well since they are closing your account I would see if the bank can retract the payment. I'm not accountant or anything close, just a thought.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
So it seems that they have blocked me from their website without giving me my content or a refund or any choice in the matter. Such an immature action from what should be a respectable company.

Edit: I have confirmed that they have blocked me from their site. Very poor quality company all around it seems.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Apparently you aren't the only one that is having issues if they are on a fruadulent list.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/635928-greenmangaming-fraudulent.html

A similar problem to mine but not the same. I talked to my bank about that and they have no ban or anything similar against payments to GMG. My bank authorized a $36 dollar payment to them and I have seen authorization of the transfer on my banks end as well as the deduction from my checking account.

Processor AMD Ryzen 1700
Motherboard Gigabyte AB350 GAMING 3
Memory 16GB (2x8) 3200MHz
Display(s) Acer 24" LCD
Software Windows 10 Pro
A similar problem to mine but not the same. I talked to my bank about that and they have no ban or anything similar against payments to GMG. My bank authorized a $36 dollar payment to them and I have seen authorization of the transfer on my banks end as well as the deduction from my checking account.

Oh no, I didn't intend it to be the same. I was just showing you that you aren't alone in thinking they are shady.

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
Oh no, I didn't intend it to be the same. I was just showing you that you aren't alone in thinking they are shady.

Indeed it seems I will just have to let the appropriate legal measures sort it out for me :shadedshu I was really looking forward to Borderlands 2 for $36 as other TPU members had no trouble. I always end up being the unlucky one however :cry:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
I've had my credit card deny payment to GMG, and I was sent a fraud alert. It was a while ago, but since I've used PayPal every other time when purchasing from them. Also, I have heard several other reports of issues with GMG in regards to payment. It sucks that you're in this position! :banghead: I hope you get it sorted!

System Name Red Giant
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Software Windows 11 Pro
I've had my credit card deny payment to GMG, and I was sent a fraud alert. It was a while ago, but since I've used PayPal every other time when purchasing from them. Also, I have heard several other reports of issues with GMG in regards to payment. It sucks that you're in this position! :banghead: I hope you get it sorted!

I wasn't sent any kind of fraud alert and visiting my bank twice resulted in no mention of fraud other than charging them with fraudulently taking payment.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Perhaps it's the fact that it was a debit card. I don't know how vigilent banks are with debit cards as I don't have one.

If a charge shows up on my CC that is either not in my typical buying area or not what I usually buy, I get a call on my cell phone within about 5 minutes from the CCs fraud department verifying the purchase.

In any event, while it's a PITA, just stay with it and it should get worked out.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, for your situation.

If, it were me, I would get that documentation from my bank and have them notarize it.
Any receipts or other documents showing payment, also.
Check your bank, as some are now offering buyer protection on debit purchases, at no charge to the bank customer. My bank has just started this recently.

They (GRG) evidently knew of the problems and some may have fallen through the cracks.

Here is a forum post on their forum showing the knew:
gmg.png

I would report this (your situation) to proper authorities in the UK and file a complaint, also with your states Attorney General's office and the Federal Trade Commission's ICPEN.

Then, I would sent them (GRG) an E-mail (plus documentation), followed up by a letter (plus documentation), informing them of the requested resolution you require and notifying them of the complaints filed with the authorities. And, that, if it is not resolved in a timely manner, you will be seeking restitution in the Courts.

Disclaimer: I am not giving you legal advice and my opinion is not to be construed as such.

Goodluck and hope you get your monies back.:)

Last edited: