1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FREE 1 Year Subscription to MS Technet Plus

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by bogmali, Jun 3, 2009.

1. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Not really, Im doing it out of shear curiosity as to how many it will let me have.

I'm not even going to use most of them

Its not like Im taking anything away from anyone either.

2. mep916

Thanks Received:
    Can someone link me to the MS download manager for FF? I can download using IE fine, but I'd prefer to use FF.

3. kyle2020 Guest

I dont think the licence keys get affected, seeing as they are retail keys?

4. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    im only gonna get vista business for my folding pc's to see how they run for like a month then im probably done

5. mep916

Thanks Received:
    That's right. they don't expire. Your subscription (to technet) will though of course.

6. twilyth Guest

Pretty sure it's not an option. I even tried using an IE tab (a FF plug-in) in FF and it wouldn't work. Probably has to do with the ActiveX app you have to dl in order to access the files.

7. twilyth Guest

Are you sure about that? i'm sure the keys are indexed by Technet benefit id so it shouldn't be a problem for MS to shut everything down after a year.

8. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    im sure the keys expire

9. kyle2020 Guest

I assumed that your technet subscription, so the ability to claim new keys / download packages would expire, not the keys as they are retail keys.

I guess we will see.

10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The keys that you already get will not expire. Once the subscription expires for technet you just won't be able to download programs or get any more keys.

mep916 says thanks.
  11. mep916

Thanks Received:
    No, the product keys do not expire. Your ability to log into technet will, supposedly, after a year. After that, you can no longer obtain new keys or download ISOs from the technet site. In a previous post, I mentioned that I had a partners program subscription that gave me several product keys to various OSes and apps. Those keys are still valid. I'm sure technet works the same. ;)

EDIT: thnx erocker - got to it before me. :p

12. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    im wonderin, will we make it

to you know, . . . . get a windows 7 key . . . .

cause i was gonna buy it

13. kyle2020 Guest

Well I assume that seeing as the Win 7 official launch is this year that yes, we will.

14. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    The keys don't expire! They are not time limited keys. There have already been subscribers saying that they are using the same keys from 2004. Microsoft is not going to reach into your machine and deactivate your keys. The activation process in MS's software is not linked to technet in any way, so there is no way the software will know when your technet subscription expires. These are retail keys, which means they don't expire. "Without time limits" is the exact verbage from Microsoft. Anyone saying that these expire will have to provide some sort of proof of this or stop mucking up our fun :)

15. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Can someone tell me why it says Resource not found or why I get an error saying Cookies arent enabled when I do have them enabled?

16. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I've just got to say that when I left this thread to go to bed about 8hrs ago, this thread was like a page and a half long, and look at it now. Bogmali, we sincerely thank you. :rockout:

mep916 says thanks.
  17. twilyth Guest

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but unless you have used software (and gotten updates) that was activated with a key from Technet AFTER that technet subscription expired, how can you know for sure? Does it say anything about this in the license agreement? Not that anyone actually reads these. :)

I'm not familiar with the partner program, but my guess is that it is a lot more expensive to belong to that than it is to belong to Technet and that it is geared to companies who are actively engaged in selling MS products. I can see that those keys wouldn't expire. But technet is supposedly only for evaluation and testing - right?

18. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    How about the problem I am having, someone help me out?

19. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had a paid technet account previously. This account works no differently. Once you have the keys they do not expire.

WarEagle are you using IE?

20. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I know, I wish I could thank Bogmali twice.

ALL HAIL BOGMALI

21. twilyth Guest

Tru dat. Yeah Bog!!! :respect: :respect: :respect:
    go here https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/manage/default.aspx and use IE not FF.

22. mep916

Thanks Received:
    When I joined it was 299$. I didn't renew, and I recently activated a XP Pro license that I obtained from that program. They're retail keys and they're good indefinitely, so long as you don't attempt to activate the same key on an additional PC. You know, two PCs with the same key.

23. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    yes I Am and thanks both of you, the link will allow me to sign in finally, its different than the other two I was using.

24. twilyth Guest

OK - cool.

Personally, I intend to renew so it doesn't matter to me. That is one big ass loophole though. I'm really surprised MS it letting shit like that slide. But I'm sure they have their reasons.

25. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    so once I sign in, how do I get the free subscription?