1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Free space goes down

Discussion in 'Storage' started by mrthanhnguyen, Apr 14, 2012.

1. mrthanhnguyen

Thanks Received:
    I installed OS and BF3 in my ssd with some other programs, but I haven't installed anything new in it, but the free space goes down. Yesterday, free space are 60gb, ut today is 59.6gb. Its seem like trash or something. What can I do to automatically clean my drive. i tried to clean up my C drive, but it doesn't help.

2. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    Usually the first place I go and clean is the Software Distribution Download folder(windows updates downloads location). C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download. Anything in there is removable.

I also hope you have restore turned off on the SSD or send backup image somewhere else.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry for butting in but I happened to be browsing this thread, and I didn't know I could set system restore on a drive other than the OS drive (in my case an SSD).
    I'd like to have restore points stored on the Seagate instead of the SSD but can't figure out where to start..

4. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    the "disk cleanup" program in accessories->system tools is pretty useful as well. I also use a third party program called "treesize free"

5. kenkickr

kenkickr

Thanks Received:
    I didn't mean that could be changed. I was meaning having windows 7 backup tool to send somwhere else. I'm a dummy:slap:

Black Panther says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem. I don't have backup tool running. I misunderstood you and thought you were saying that system restore points could be programmed to be saved on another disk and not the one the OS is on. :) Hence keeping the SSD where the OS is installed with as much free space as possible.

So it's not possible?