1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freeware Ramdisk Software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by randomperson21, Oct 16, 2006.

1. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Heya all,

If anyone knows of a good (hopefully free or pretty cheap) program to create a software ramdisk, i'd appreciate it.

thx!

2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    BEST ONE I KNOW OF & THAT IS FREE, IS THE FILE ATTACHED (in my next post below, I had some trouble w/ the "manage attachments" portion of new posts on this post, sorry):

ArSoft Ramdisk

(Unlimited size, afaik, & breaks the "32mb size barrier" imposed by the Microsoft DDK (device driver kit) template)

* See the attached zipfile in my next post below this one...

APK

P.S.=> The guys from ARSoft that wrote it told me a 'clue' to extending a RAMDISK via software's size in 'pm' from NTCompatible.com forums to me once, & I have yet to find time to build one myself based on what they told me!

(See, I created one w/ an easily used GUI front to manage its size & other parameterizations, in one I did that is DDK code based, optimized a bit is all over std. defaults of its build, but it has the 32mb size limit still... this will help me 'break it' too one day, when I find the time!)... apk

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  3. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Arsoft Ramdisk Is Attached In This Reply

See attached zipfile...

:)

SuperSpeed.com has one called "Super Volume" that will not only function as an unlimited size RAMDISK in software, but also one that features a "mirroring to harddisk" function... so any data written to it, is later "lazy-written" to a backing harddisk!

* EEC Systems/SuperSpeed.com's version has that NEAT feature, for those that require a more "reliable" ramdisk (since Ramdisks are electric powered & do NOT typically keep "state" of data written to them if power goes out)...

That IS something to keep in mind.

APK

P.S.=> Here is the zipfile attachment w/ ARSoft 100% free UNLIMITED SIZE RamDiskDrive software below... apk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  4. randomperson21

randomperson21 New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks aleccstar, you're the man.

i'm using this for a school computer, and we don't have all that much cash to spend on new software. basically, i'm going to be using this to read 3-4 video files off the ramdisk for display on a information display thingy throughout the school. problem was, the hdd was too slow. thank goodness for ramdrives.

5. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, thank-you: "We try"...

(Now, YOU can "be the man" & do your project the way you see fit - you now have the tools!)

Cool, & I hope this solves any problems you had doing your project for you... it should, because RAM is 1000's of times faster than HDD's are (especially in seek/access time)...

APK

6. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    and please dont put the swapfile on this ramdrive ^^

7. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Generally, I'd agree on that count...

Except for cases where a person has 4gb (or more) of RAM online that is (rare in consumer grade rigs)... folks w/ that much RAM onboard can do it & get away w/ it.

* HOWEVER - You CAN do that, the way I do though, using a Solid-State Ramdisk drive card...

APK