1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freezer 64 pro - installation questions:

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by nocrapman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Getting rid of stock HSF - couple of questions -

1. Is the preapplied paste any good. Should I go with AS5 anyway...

2. While removing the old thermal compound - 99% isopropyl alcohol or just acetone(lab grade - 100% i think). I have access to both.

3. Should I use an old cloth or some thing to do this or just a paper towel?

Appreciate any help guys...

2. Polaris573

Polaris573 Senior Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The stock paste is probably fine, but if you're going to do some overclocking it would be best to put some Arctic silver/ceramique on.

99% and 100% Alcohol or acetone will all work great. If you want it really clean use arctic silver ArctiClean.

Use some type of lint free cloth, definitely not a paper towl as it can leave behind debris that will reduce performance.

Here is a nice article on applying thermal paste if you need it.

3. xdaxxchampxx New Member

Thanks Received:
    the compound that artic cooling uses is one of the better ones very compareable to as5 you wont notice a diffrence realy :toast:

4. EnglishLion

EnglishLion New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used the pre-applied TIM and I got it the wrong way round, removed it and refitted without replacing the TIM and it's still great.

My Opteron 146 is OC'd from 2 to 2.74Ghz and only just reaches 40C at full load.

I think correctly applied TIM is a far more important factor than fancy make or type! And you can be sure pre-applied has been evenly applied!

5. nocrapman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys - I am going to go with the pre-applied TIM - see how that works - then if need arises - shift to AS5.