1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Freezing up or locking up my pc

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by quikfingrs, Apr 12, 2011.

1. quikfingrs New Member

Thanks Received:
    hello this is my first post quik details first before i ask the question

striker2 formula mobo
    2gb kingston ram
    intel quad q9450 cpu
    gtx 260 graphics card
    window ultimat x64

im getting problems with my pc freezing up and i have to do a hard shut down i have stress tested my ram and graphics card for 4hrs and it never froze and got hot with no errors i got prime95 and cpuid have had it runnign for around 6hrs and the temperatures seem hot to me but not totaly sure as it hasnt froze up

core 0 = highest 82 centegrade
    core 1 = highest 80
    core 2 = highest 79
    core 3 = highest 77

the tmpin0 temperature rads 73-80 the rest are all within 20-45

are these temperatures to hot ?
    as im thinking its software issues so might do a full install
  2. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Thats seems pretty hot unless you are overclocking and even then it seems hot. Are you overclocking? What kind of cooler are you running on the cpu? What kind of cooling does your case have? Heat can cause your pc to hardlock/bsod etc. Could be a OS issue too.

Have you ran memtest on your memory? Have you checked your PSU voltages?

I'm just tossing stuff out there...
  3. quikfingrs New Member

Thanks Received:
    yes i have run the memtester and the voltages are the only ones i could get the system stable with out it over heating and loking up i have run it with them voltages for the last 2-3years but never untill naw seen the temperarures so couldnt tell u if it has changed much :confused:

i have 3 case fans running with a cooler master cpu fan as u might have guesd im not very clued up with pc's lol if you want to know the voltages how do i know the recomended ones or show u what i have put them to
  4. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    The temps are a bit hot but not at all in the danger area . If you ran prime95 for 6 hours and your CPU was reporting them temps with no errors then I would say it is not an issue with Hardware .
    If it was a heat issue it would be more of a BSOD or a shut down not just freezing up . Sounds like it could be some software issue or a peripheral issue . Like some thing external is not working , What do you have plugged in ? USB , Firewire , Things like that ?
  5. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    Fill in all your details into the user CP, just so it's easier for people to see your system specs.

Your temps are a little high, but i don't think they are the cause of the lockups. Try a scandisc to see if there are any errors with your hard drive. after that either try using the windows 7 repair tool (from the DVD) or try a system restore to an earlier time you weren't getting lock ups.

If that doesn't work.. go to bios and set everything to auto.

A bit more info would be useful.. what kind of lockups are you getting? blue screens? freezes? Can you still move your mouse? random re-boots? and what are you usually doing on your computer when this happens? what do you have running at the time? can you Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the system manager? etc, etc..
  6. Ring

Ring New Member

Thanks Received:
    How about reinstalling your OS? I think it will make a favor.
    make a better cooler.