1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fried 2 boards in 2 days.

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by mrsemi, Aug 29, 2007.

1. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    A beer got tipped into my cpu, knew I should have covered that hold on the top case. :mad:

Anyway, computer turned itself off. Swapped out the mother board cleaned everything with residue on it which was a little on the hard drive, a little on the top of the video card, and just flat out replaced the mother board which was definitely fried (smoke coming out the back and the actual ide cable wires within the plastic got so hot they were browning the outside of the cable)

So I replace the board, put everything back in and pray. Poof smoke again. It's not coming from the power supply, the ram sockets, the hard drive or the power supply.

The board's fried again, fresh board. What could cause the motherboard to fry? I know for certain after two motherboard deaths something else is bound to be dead too but any idea what could cause this? My guess is power supply but it didn't even get a drop of beer on it.

I'm trying to avoid paying someone a couple hundred to tell me one component is messed up but just no idea how to do it without a backup machine, even if I did have a backup machine I wouldn't wanna gamble blowing it up either.

Any suggestions?

2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I think you fried every part from the sounds of it. Maybe the video card/memory/CPU/PSu is causing it to short again.

You just might be @^@6 out of luck.

Sorry

mrsemi says thanks.
  3. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Test the PSU. Remove it, use a paper clip to connect any black wire on the ATX(+12v,20(+4)) connector to the GREEN wire. This connection will allow the psu to pass the "MOBO PRESENT" check. Then you can check the output voltages with a meter.

Any chance you forgot mobo spacers or washers when re-installing the mobo.
    Did you clean/check all the connectors?
    Be sure to clean up the PSU case and Case to ensure grounding can occur properly between them. Also clean up/ check the I/O shield and any other place beer could have gotten into the case to prevent proper grounding.

:toast:

mrsemi says thanks.
  4. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Didn't even occur to me to check the other wires in the power supply, they're braided and I'll wager they contain the problem. Probably a grounding problem.

The board itself is definitely installed correctly. Seems as though a board swap and power supply swap in addition to a cheap gambler pcie card would be great first steps.

I'm praying the video card is still alive mostly, obviously the most expensive component.

Any suggestions on motherboard? Socket 775 for e6600, sli a bonus not mandatory, onboard a bonus to test ram without jeopardizing video card if it's still alive?

How bout a power supply capable of xfire or sli? I'm definitely not made of money so budget recommendations a bonus. However if I do have to replace everything again I'm hoping to make wiser power supply and motherboard decisions first and foremost.

Thanks for the input guys.

5. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Get mobo, and start with the very basics, one stick of RAM, CPU and PSU, turn on. If no poof, insert graphics. Continue until you find the components that makes it go poof, unless their all fried. Also check the PSU for dust, beer splash damage etc.

mrsemi says thanks.
  6. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I pulled the power supply and it smells fried and I know the motherboard is fried so those come first. I'm gonna order 2 more gig of ram in case that's fried, besides an extra 2 gigs can't hurt.

:(

7. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Ouch that really sucks. Makes me glad I'm so anal about top case fans being dangerous :p

8. HookeyStreet

HookeyStreet Eat, sleep, game!

Thanks Received:
    One question: why have beer next to your PC in the first place? Thats just asking for trouble :eek:

9. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Hey I have beer next to my PC all the time. mmm.. beer.. is it bad I'm now thinking about a cold beer @ 4pm in the afternoon? :eek:

10. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I'm drinking whiskey and it's 4pm, so no lol.

11. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    lol drinking really is a national sport for us eh? :D

12. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Lol it is when women are involved :shadedshu :rolleyes:

13. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    lol I know.. I have Rachels birthday to go to next weekend.. its happening in the cheapest pub in the area, so methinks we all get wasted by the end of it :D

14. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Gone a bit off topic ain't we? :p

15. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    I prefer to think of it as unrelated interesting entertainment reading :p

16. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    And chance the ram cpu or even the PSU are still damp ?. I'd wait a few days at least make sure it's all dried out.

17. keakar

keakar

Thanks Received:
    top case fans are not any more dangerous than any fan on the side of the case as far as spilling or splashing liquids go. dump a beer on the side of the case with a side fan and your just as screwed.

but if you keep your case on the floor you are always at risk from it getting kicked or things being dumped on it or dog or cat wizzing on it. putting your case up on top of the desk makes it safer.

18. Ketxxx

Ketxxx Heedless Psychic

Thanks Received:
    Not really. Gravity does most the damage. So, top case fan, filter or not = beer still falls down into PC. Side case fan = unless you deliberately throw beer in its direction, the chance of any of it getting in the PC is slim.