1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fried motherboard or what?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Octopuss, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I have seriously weird situation here I've been unable to crack for past few days.
    I was digging in my PC (powered off, but the switch on PSU was on, just like always - it never caused any problems in 10 years of doing so) and removed the sound card. I inserted it back and the PC suddenly powered on, just like that. I was like oh shit WTF!!! fearing the worst, but nothing started burning and the card lit up. I immediatelly switched the PSU off though.

I also have to point out the system was acting weird the same evening for a while. I was doing some stress testing and got couple BSODs, but that's fairly normal when testing various voltages and speeds. Programs wouldn't uninstall - the uninstaller would just sit there doing nothing halfway through the process, and it wouldn't switch off either. Windows was stuck on "shutting down" and nothing was happening.
    One thing I noticed a bit later was that apparently at some point the BIOS was resetted to defaults for an unknown reason.

I am not 100% sure anymore, but I believe this was before the soundcard stopped working, which is exactly what the problem is: it just doesn't work. I think it started (not caused by though) with me uninstalling all the software because new driver was released, and already the uninstallation couldn't finish. The whole PC/Windows weirdness was gone after several restarts, but the card didn't get up again. It still lights up, but is not recognized by setup, and nor does it show in device manager.
    I thought the PCI-e slot was fried, BUT when I dug up some random network card and plugged it in, it just worked right away.

What I tried so far:
    - plug the card in other PCI-e slots, namely x16, x1, x8, with no luck. All the time I had it it was sitting in x4 slot.
    - reflash BIOS
    - reflash older BIOS
    - reflash BIOS using @BIOS utility, which lets me erase DMI data (I understand that's a place where some stuff is saved and is not necessarily deleted upon flashing)
    - doing clean Windows install (on separate disk)

The soundcard seems to be fine though, because when I plugged it in my wife's PC, it immediatelly showed up.

What do you think happened? I am out of ideas. So far it seems like motherboard RMA is inevitable.
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you re flashing bios. There is no need for that.

Does the system start up without the card?

Also list all the system hardware and specs.
  3. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    The system works fine. Everything works. Just the card is not recognized in my PC for an unknown reason no matter what I try (I reflashed the BIOS because it resetted by itself, so I thought something was not right with it).

My specs are below my avatar.
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the system works, you verified the slot works, the card is bad. pretty simple.
  5. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    How do you explain it works in other PC then?
  6. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    I would clean out the registry of all the sound card Keys & try to reinstall the card , if it's not dead should work
  7. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Guys do you even read my posts? I specifically said I tried doing clean Windows install.
    Come on...
  8. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Subscribed. It is advisable not to remove/insert anything immediately after shut-down. I usually press the start button with the PSU disconnected from the wall in order to discharge any electrical charge the mobo still holds.
    d1nky says thanks.
  9. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Even if the PC is not on but the PSU is it still provides a certain amount of power to its components so I am willing to bet when you inserted the card it either shorted out since you are adding in an additional circuit causing the motherboard to start.

It is advisable if you are doing anything inside the case of the PC to turn off the PSU and unplug it from the wall for atleast 15 minutes to make sure all power has been withdrawn from the system.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I just plugged the card into my wife's PC again, installed all the drivers, and am listening to music through it.
    So...?

P.S. I didn't insert anything immediately. The PC was powered off for good several minutes.

Yeah I will probably switch the PSU off from now on, but it still doesn't help me understanding the problem.
  11. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    You said you tried it in the x16 and it was not working. Is your video card working in the same slot?
  12. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I said I tried it in almost all of the slots (excluding two out of three x1 ones) and it didn't work in either.
    It's just the card that doesn't work, everything else does.
  13. Frogger

Frogger

Thanks Received:
    YES I did
    & from the boot loader you selected the fresh install
    & you loaded 'optimized defaults' on reboot
    did you check to see if the onboard audio was working Before you disabled it
    Try reinstalling you chipset drivers with only "the clean Windows install (on separate disk" attached to mb
  14. Geekoid New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to make sure its nothing to do with Windows - if you boot up into Ubuntu on your PC, does the sound card work? Does lspci show the soundcard if not?
  15. Lazermonkey

Thanks Received:
    I do this as well.

Even after unplugging the PSU from the wall, Most times you can hit the power button and get out that last bit of juice sitting around in the system.
  16. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i think static electricity damaged your card. or rather the cards RAM chips. RAM chips are very susceptible to static shock, and since they are pretty much open, you may have zapped one.

you should always wear anti static wrist bands, since you people do have wood flooring + carpets.

we dont need it much since we have tiles :) and mosaic :) nevertheless i always touch bare metal, on the chassis prior to beginning.
  17. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    It doesn't have anything to do with Windows because I did a clean install. That's good enough.
    I am not interested in anything linux-related in the slightest and wouldn't even know how to start it.

I would totally agree with you if the card didn't work flawlessly in different PC. I wish I could test it in another board similar to mine (but PCI-e is still PCI-e, so I am not sure it would tell me anything)

I will simply RMA the board along with the card and let the shop technician dig in it himself.
    I just don't know how will I survive one month without PC.
  18. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    then i suppose something connected to the PCIe went out.

ahve you tried using the PCIe slot with something else?
  19. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    Yes I have.
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  20. KapiteinKoek007

Thanks Received:
    yeh bro that's harsh, goodluck with that, maybe u can snatch the pc/laptop from gf/wife/kids.... :p
  21. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    get some tools and start modding your case. thats how i survive :p
  22. Octopuss

Octopuss

Thanks Received:
    I might start delidding my CPU instead, lol.

Of course I could start going out, but... you know.