1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Front intake fan selection.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DayKnight, Dec 30, 2012.

1. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    My current fan is this. 120mm.

I will rate it:-

In terms of cooling: 6/10.

Noise: 10/10.

[​IMG]

I am looking for a fan that will give me more cooling but not go above 21dB (I know every company has different ways of testing). At the current moment, my PC is whisper quite. I like it that way and I dont want much noise. Now, NOW!, before that, I need to know about air pressure and all shenanigans that come with it.

Most say, that, for this setup, any fan should do because you need a fan with good air pressure for heat sinks only. Isn't this setup like that?. I mean, the 'things' to cool are pretty close, just like fins on the heat sinks.

What am I looking at?. So I need more pressure for this setup or any fan would do?.

Not many fans are available in our country. Xigmatek, Cooler Master (which I am not interested in at all) and Corsair SP and AF series (which I will be getting).

The ideal RPM, IMO (for me/my liking :p) is 1500RPM. So, I will be getting the quite editions.

So AF or SP?.

2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Corsair fans aren't very quiet nor do they have much static pressure or CFM for their RPM.

3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  4. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Main reason: I dont like my HDD to get hot. Now, with my current fan, the lowest I have seen is at 26C where as the temperature of the room was ~15C.

I dont think that I will like to waste 27$ on a fan just to undervolt it.

Rather stick with the current one.

5. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    It was just an example that high static presure fan are noisy. They make other models and I love my Cougar fan so if you can get those.

6. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    If I had the option to import, I would have done that. Cougar's and some others are in my list.

A guy in my country was selling Enermax Magmas (excellent fans!), but I killed the deal.

Edit: Some fans available here. Not the full list.

I have that red 1800RPM '19dB' fan. Threw it in my sibling's case after I tried it out like 2 years ago.

CM, as usual, spitting shit outa their mouth. The one I have in my chassis, 1200RPM, it's rated 19dB. This 1800RPM (seriously noisy) fan is rated at 19dB too!. Wow. Good job Cooler Master. :rockout:

I have Excal too. One heck of fan, I must say. Yes, it does need a fan controller which I did thought of getting but then again, I am too lazy to manually adjust everything, all the time. Dumped the idea. Wont get into auto fan controllers, too.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  7. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    26c is cold for a HDD most drives are rated for 60C nominal
    I hear good things about Cougar fans tho

8. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Well, it can even go lower because when I connceted my Excalibur, the temps drop to the room temperature. Yeah, the noise that came was immense too. :p

So guys, do I need a fan with more static pressure?. Clear this please.

@Frag Maniac

Dude, how can this fan, running at only 1450RPM make noise that's unbearable?.

9. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    junk bearings
    hell the blademaster that comes with my hyper212 is noisy at about 1300RPM

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    DayKnight says thanks.
  10. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Screw Hyper 212 and baldemaster.

Corsair cant make junk. :(

11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It can. My HX750 PSU had a horribly clicking fan. Replaced it with quality Noiseblocker fan thats actually absolutelly silent. Haven't looked back since.

DayKnight says thanks.
  12. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Which fan then?.

Xigmatek XAF, XLF or CLF?.

Minus XAF actually. I read some reviews and they weren't good. I really liked XAF.

13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Cheap ones that don't have much R&D, yes. Ones that are well designed, no. The Scythe Gentle Typhoons for instance. Very good fans. And you don't have to pay $27 for them, you can get them for $16. They are ultra well balanced too. You can hold them free hand and not feel any vibration.

Only reason I didn't mention them up front is they can be harder to get than some models depending where you live and what size/RPM you're looking for.

14. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Interesting here is the specs

Gentle Typhoon 1850 Specs

Size: 120x25mm, 9 blades
    Bearing: Double ball bearings
    Speed: 1850 RPM
    Airflow: 57.7 CFM from the website, 58.3 CFM from the box (Nidec says 58 CFM for theirs)
    SPL: 28 dBA box and website (Nidec says 30 dBA for theirs)
    Static Pressure: 2.9 mmH2O (from Nidec)

Courgar
    CF-T12S
    Marketing name TURBINE 120
    Dimensions 120 x 120 x 25
    Speed 1200
    Air flow @ 12V (CFM, m3/h) 60.4 / 102.6
    Air pressure @ 12V (mm H2O) 1.73
    Noise 17.7dB

DayKnight says thanks.
  15. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    If it is only to be used for cooling the hard drives, putting the fan there as an exhaust (rather than intake) should do wonders (less turbulence, and static presure becomes less important). That is, assuming there are air intake possibillities elsewhere.

The already mentioned Gentle Typhoons are good, but a Scythe Slip Stream of at max 1000 rpm should do well too.
    Do not forget to use a rubber anti-vibration frame or use those rubber fan mounting "bolts" to be more sure about the quietness.
    In addition, make sure you check reviews in which the properties are tested (do not rely on specs, they hold no truth).

HWI tests the noise levels of fans at 10 cm and is considered a reliable source in the Benelux (I will link to the UK version of the site). The noise values at 12V seem higher than you like, but a fan producing about 30 decibel at 10 cm away is (barely) (in)audible.
    HWI Comparison table.
    Make sure you check the values at the bottom of the table because those are the measured results, those given in the specs as published in the upper region of the table are marketing numbers.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    DayKnight says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and the one you mentioned has way lower static pressure. You can also pretty much throw any manufacturer's db rating out the window because there's no standard measurement for it. Best to go on testimonials of actual customers.

17. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    They are straight out lies if you ask me.
    -

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    I just bought these.

CLF-1254.

Specs look fine, just have to install and check now.

19. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    epp cheap plastic yek :shadedshu

20. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    :p

... and what is expensive plastic?.

21. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    The typical black fan frames and often propellers as well are made of ABS, a common form of thermoplastic that is also used in the auto industry. It resists shock and vibration fairly well. ABS is also the most common type of plastic used for plastic case parts. Often the stylized clear or translucent colored fans are made of a stiffer, more brittle plastic. One review I skimmed through on that particular fan said it wasn't all that quiet either.

Chevalr1c and OneMoar say thanks.
  22. DayKnight

Thanks Received:
    Trivial little matters.

Really?. How wonderful. I never knew. :rolleyes:

So, how many fans are made of that plastic and cost no more than 8$ and have the same or better performance compared to this?.

I dont care what they are made of. They can be made of clay. I need performance in a good package. That is pretty much it. No ones playing retard-ball with it here, nor am I woman who is gonna go all finicky. :roll:

Edit: Installed. As usual, all these fans that are made of this kind of plastic have this problem. The screws just dont go in. Not that I am worried. I use match or lighter to heat the head of the screw and screw it in. Easy!. It's definitely pulling more air. I can feel it so it definitely is!.

All those reviews/NE comments saying it's loud... LIES!. It's not loud at all!. No whine no nothing!.

HDD long idle is the same. 25C.

Anyways, at least now I have peace of mind.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  23. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    LOL, I was only answering your question on the plastic along with offering one particular comment I read on noise levels in one review. Best to go more on user feedback than manufacturer or review claims, because there's no standard way of measuring them. Opinions can vary a lot on noise levels though. You were wise to heat up the screw btw. Forcing them can crack that kind of plastic.

24. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I've never heard a fan called skinny before, especially a 25mm one....:rolleyes:

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  25. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Nothing beats Noiseblocker Multiframe imo. Clear blades made out of Makrolon, chunky silicone corners and additional silicone frame to really make it vibration free. Good static pressure at lower RPM. They are expensive, granted, but they are by far the best fans that i've used.