1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Frustrated with new Intel system

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by KBD, Sep 20, 2008.

1. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just assembled an Intel system for someone and i'm having a few problems with it. I built it outside of case because the guy i'm building for doesn't have one yet. It is based on Abit IP35 Pro mobo, e8400, 2 Seagate 320GB 7200.11, 2 GB of Muskin XP2-8500, Radeon HD3450, Seagate M12 600W, XP SP3. At first i RAIDed 2 Seagates in 0 mode but after install of XP got a couple of BSODs and i decided to test the drives in non-RAID mode. I did get 1 BSOD in non-RAID mode but they stopped after i installed drivers. But i'm still having a number of other problems that i'm gonna list below:

Problem 1. There is something wrong with the CPU & RAM frequencies, the e8400 is supposed to run at 3GHz, the BIOS shows it at 3GHz, multiplier x9, FSB 340. Yet CPU-Z shows it as running 3591MHz, multi x9, FSB 399. Everest agrees with CPU-z, btw.

Furthermore, the memory is all off, BIOS says DDR2-816, CPU-Z & Everest say DDR2-956. Additionally CPU-Z identified the RAM's part number right but calls it PC-6400, when its PC-8500.

To top it all off, Abit uGuru agrees with the BIOS and displays FSB of 340, which is what its supposed to be. At least the CPU vCore is right.

Can someone explain what does this mean? Is my CPU overclocked or what? I read in Abit forums that the board slighly overclocks the RAM to DDR-816, but CPU is way off, which program do i trust the BIOS or CPU-z?

Problem 2. Windows refuses to see the second HDD (right now they arent RAIDed). But BIOS sees it, so did XP during Windows install, i could pick either to install XP on. But once i log into Windows it only shows 1 drive - C:. When i go to Computer Management it shows up there marked black and it says unallocated space, i cant do anything to it, format it, etc.
    Anyway to make Windows see it?

Problem 3. This one has to do with Radeon HD3450. Instead of using the CD drivers i d/l Catalyst 8.9. It did install but i can't access the CCC. It simply won't open up when click on it in start - programs. It was also added to startup but i can't see the little icon in the right corner. ATI says that this is what i'm supposed to d/l for 3450 but may be they are wrong?

I could really use some help resolving these issues, i didn't have these problems with the 2 AMD systems i've built, this is a first venture for me into Intel & ATI territory and i have to say so far i'm dissapointed.

2. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Ram not fast enough for that overclock = BSOD likely, All so should not install windows with a overclocked system. You tried reseting the bios ?, maybe in the bios it auto overclocks the cpu ? i cannot say as i do not have one and with mine at least you have to be in windows to overclock with out messing with the bios.

Maybe a bios update is needed, but don't do it in windows though.

The other HDD probably just needs formating. Can you tell if it's working, best way i find is to hold the drive while it's turned on.

KBD says thanks.
  3. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Actually, the RAM is fast enough, its DDR2-1066 Micron D9 :D I dont think it will BSOD.

Perhaps i didnt make myself clear earlier, i didn't overclock a goddam thing. I usually burn in and stress the rig for a week before overclocking, so i'd never install Windows with overclock. I'm new to Intel and i'm not familiar with auto overclocks and always overclock in BIOS manually. Like I said the BIOS says its at stock, so i'm mystifyed as to why its happening. And i already have the latest BIOS.

In regards to HDD, you could be right. The drive does spin, but i though i could format in Windows using Computer Management? If not i'll take it out put it in my rig and format it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  4. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Zero the drives with Seagates tools on their website.

What does The properties in My Computer say for CPU speed?

5. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I think you probably need to update the BIOS. That might take care of the conflicting readings. CPU probably isn't fully supported on that BIOS revision.

As for the CCC, make sure you installed the needed .NET runtimes.

6. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It sounds to me like the CPU is actually overclocked, and most likely can't handle the overclock. The RAM probably can't handle it's clock speeds also, I know it is rated for higher, but probably not at stock voltages. This is most likely what is causing your BSODs.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  7. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:
    is there an auto OC suite installed with the mobo drivers? (if there is, it might be setting the cpu and mem to turbo mode!!!:wtf:) so check and uninstall....

boot in dos mode and format the damn disk!

uninstall both the drivers and ccc that came with 8.9, and then install the disk setup... if it works let it be!

btw 8.9 version does not resolve any HD3450 issues so you don't really need it!

KBD says thanks.
  8. PuMA

PuMA New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think u have to activate the drive in computer management, to get it to work.

9. grunt_408

grunt_408

Thanks Received:
    I wasnt aware he mentioned that he was getting BSOD's:p

10. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    Right click my computer and click manage,storage,disk management,right click the partition thats empty and youll see what to do with it,cant remember just what is says. Go into your bios and set every thing to Manual for overclocking < Multiplier to 9 Fsb should be 333,Manually set your memory to 1066 and make sure you up the mem volts to 2.1-2.3 depending on witch mushkin you got. Ive had alot of problems with sp3 and my gigabyte p35 mobo. Your CCC will not work without .Net framework 2.0

KBD says thanks.
  11. thebeephaha

thebeephaha

Thanks Received:
    "after install of XP got a couple of BSODs"

You sir fail at reading. :laugh:

To the OP: I suggest a BIOS update as well and also set the RAM at its required voltage.

12. Dan2312

Thanks Received:
    I had this problem when i installed 8.7 Drivers, i just un installed them and went back to 8.6, im on a X1950 Pro tho.

13. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, here's the deal guys, problem 2 & 3 solved. Problem 1 still remaining, my conclusion is that the board is most likely bad. As i said the above the board already has the latest BIOS so no need to suggest to update. The BSOD is also no longer an issue after i installed drivers. The situation is far more worse than i thought intially, nothing helps to resolve the situation. I tried everything: clearing CMOS, using DDR2-800 RAM, setting everything to Manual and Auto at diffrent settings, nothing helps. Furthermore, i conducted an experiment by trying to manually overclock the board by setting FSB to 350, which set RAM to DDR2-854, well guess what Windows still show CPU at 3.6GHz and RAM at DDR2-956.

This is why i think it's bad, surprisingly, everything else works well though i havent done stess testing yet, but all the other issues i've had have been resolved. Right now i'm trying the last thing i can think of install XP w/ SP2 CD instead of SP3 if that doesnt help it will be going back on Monday and i'll be looking for another board. Unless, of course, some can suggest something else.

14. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Is there an option in your bios to enable/disable ACPI/ACIP 2.0? If so, enable them, that helps more with temp readings than anything, but may help with more correct spead readings.

That board I know was good for 65nm's I almost got one but opted for the DFI P35 DK, really my G/F's Gigabyte P35-DS3L is just as good of a board...even with the horrible vdroop issue it has, solid runner.

I'd say take that board back, get a GB EP45-DS3L or EP35-DS3L. Both are just power saver versions, but I know for a fact the P35-DS3L is a great performer, hers is doing 500FSB with a 65nm (though has the bios update for 45nm support and improved temp readings), it's OC'd duals, quads and has 4x1GB of DDR800 at DDR1000 without braking a sweat. Speeds are and have always been read correctly..I'm not really finding others with your issue on that board though. So it could be unique to your board and furthermore, you did say that uGuru reads fine in windows...so again see if you have an ACPI option to enable.

If I were you I'd consider going P45, from what I've read it handles the 45nm's better...seems that my Asus P5Q Dlx does OC my e8600 better than my DFI P35 did, but I did lose some memory bandwidth/latency, which for gaming doesn't matter nearly as much, the drop wasn't horrible.

Keep us posted on your results, odd issue indeed. I think it's more of an interface/read error than anything...could be as simple as a driver/dll error, something just isn't loading correctly...maybe toss up a question on Abit forums and see if they have an answer?

KBD says thanks.
  15. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately, there are no ACPI on/off options in BIOS. The board is def bad as I conducted another test by putting in an e2140 CPU and the situation improved a bit since now Windows program read the CPU correctly but it still wont hold an overclock. So it will be going back to the seller the guy got it from. He wants to get another IP35 Pro though, i dont blame him since its a great board when it works.

16. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I think you should dissuade him from Abit. They are abandoning the mobo market, meaning BIOS support is going to dry up.

17. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, that memory is rated 2.2v+. If it works at less than 2.2v, great, but it may not. I've got some OCZ like that. Rated at 2.1v, and will sometimes boot but usually not at less than that. Then again, OCZ is kind of crappy. :)

18. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, Wile, we are considering all options. Most likely it will be another P35 though as it is a mature chipset.

Thats correct, its 2.2 - 2.35v. It does work under 2.2v at looser timings but once i tightem them i have to raise to 2.2v.

19. iStink

iStink New Member

Thanks Received:
    KBD, please excuse me if you've said this already but have you underclocked everything yet?

I normally trust bios readings over software readings (for clocks) but IF the chip is getting overclocked, try underclocking it until you reach a point where windows reads it as 3ghz.

If underclocking it still gives bsod's, and your ram has passed memtest (dos version) I'd say it wouldn't hurt to rma the motherboard. Motherboard issues can look like many different things and if a new board doesn't solve the issue, at least you can mark that off the list.

20. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, i've tried underclocking. It had no effect on either the e8400 or the e2140 meaning that the CPU frequency never changed and was locked in at 3.6 for e8400 and 1.6 for e2140. In fact i tried running at all kinds of settings, including all AUTO and Manual. And as i said above the BSOD issue has long been solved, it was due to not having drivers installed but after i installed them everything was fine. That is the stange thing about this particular board, there are no problems with it aside from not being able to overclock or underclock it. Its actually been known to happen to defective IP35 Pros. One other thing i could've done is try to reflash the BIOS but the board was sent back today so thats the end of that. Hopefullt the next board will work out. Thanks to everyone for contributing.

21. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just want to let you guys know that all is well now. The seller simply exchanged the board for the guy and sent it priority and it arrived today. I had to flash to the latest BIOS again but now everything is working perfectly, i'm able to overclock the CPU just fine, no more problems. That other board was simply defective it seems.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  22. Kursah

Kursah

Thanks Received:
    Good deal! Glad it's sorted, that's a great board! Keep us posted on your results! :toast:

23. KBD New Member

Thanks Received:
    good overclocker, i took it to 3.5 without even trying hard. Now i'm gonna burn in the CPU and do some serious overclocking for this guy :)