1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fubared my mac.. not sure what to do

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by freaksavior, Jan 9, 2012.

1. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    My macbook pro would get super hot, so I opened her up, and removed the stock thermal compound, put the new TIM on it and then closed it back up, being careful taking it apart, and putting it back together.

Once i put it back together, I started it up and it just blank screened on me, no chime or anything.

All of my music is on my mac, and most of everything I do is on my mac, now Im not opposed to getting a pc since mac's are quite pricey but im not sure if I should try to get it fixed by going to the apple store, or say screw it and try and get something newer.

It's a late 2008 macbook pro NON unibody.

4gb ddr2 533
    2.4.ghz core 2 duo penry
    8600gt

I do play some games, nothing super hard core and I do web design with dreamweaver and on occasion dabble in ps. I torrent a lot of things, but I have the main desktop and my server. I have about 50gb of music that is stored locally as well.

So any suggestion on what to do?

I was seriously thinking the i7 256gm zenbook ultra portable. but its almost $1500 :((
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    in all honesty if youve taken the trouble to void the warentee once and your sure you didnt break anything its probably just a ribbon cable, rebuild it until it works.
    freaksavior and Darkleoco say thanks.
  3. kciaccio New Member

Thanks Received:
    No offense, but I laugh when someone who owns mac freaks out on spending $1500 on a PC laptop when the exact apple version is $2400. :confused:
    freaksavior, Solaris17 and zithe say thanks.
  4. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Yeah and guess what, I spent more than that on my htpc and my server cost me about the same as my Mac.

And if you compare what I was talking about, the Mac book air is only about $100 more. ;) try researching before you open your mouth ;)

So before we get a flame war going on let's try to stay on topic.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Get MacDrive application, plug in your HDD to one of your Windows machines and get the data off it, then possibly pay for a diag on what it will cost to repair the Macbook.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  6. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I don't like Macs either, but the fact this problem occurred on a Mac is irrelevant, as the same principle would apply to a PC, so there should be no Mac-PC flamewar here.

Your real mistake, was to only have one copy of your data. Regardless of what system you have, you must have a minimum of two copies of your data at all times to avoid a pickle like this. Buy an external drive and back up to it regularly, perhaps every night, depending on how you use your computer.

You should disconnect your laptop's HD and put it to one side, safely. Then mess around with connectors inside the laptop, as Solaris said. If it starts working again, then reconnect the HD. If you can't make the Mac work, then do as Widjaja said and get the MacDrive application to pull your data off that hard drive. Good luck. :toast:
    freaksavior says thanks.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    This. If it seems to be working like normal but with no image it's probably a loose cable or something.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  8. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    I'm not worried about the data, it's all on my server. I just store the music locally because iTunes sucks for streaming music.

I opened it up, carefully checked all cables, reseated every thing and it still does it.

I might take it to apple and see what they say before spending any money I don't really have.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    and you mean blank as in no backlight or blank as in backlight on but nothing on screen?
    freaksavior says thanks.
  10. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    are you sure you dont just need to reset the PRAM or something... i know they can act weird if you unplug the battery.

Also, is it a grey screen or a black screen?
    freaksavior says thanks.
  11. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Take it to a local computer shop. They can probably pinpoint the problem and fix it for you for a lot less.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  12. Cja123

Thanks Received:
    Do you have another mac?

If you can get your hands on another mac, you can take the drive out of your current macbook pro and tether it to the secondary mac. It should function as an external drive, go into disk utility and verify/repair disk. If it comes up okay, it is probably not your hard drive causing the problem. You can also use disk warrior to verify and repair the disk.

Before doing this, you should clear your PRAM by holding command+option+P+R immediately after you hear the chime.

It sounds like the RAM to me but I can't be sure until you run disk utility on that disk.

Good luck!
    freaksavior says thanks.
  13. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Also, take a really close look at the screen to verify that it is indeed blank. The screen inverters for the backlights often go on Macbooks. If you can barely see your desktop, then you've got a busted inverter.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  14. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    Yes, the fans will spin but that is all. The LED in the lcd release will blink a few times but the machine never fully powers on.

I've tried.

Possible, or rape me.

The hard drive partition is screwed up, I was going to format it after I did the thermal paste replacement but that clearly didn't go as planed.

It's black. Usually when the back light is just off, it's pitch black and with it missing it's a dull black.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like the motherboard is detecting hardware errors and it's possible that the machine's had it. :ohwell: Personally, I don't see a problem with taking it to a repair shop and getting a quote. Also, make sure they tell you which bit has failed, so you can make a judgement on whether you think you can do this yourself.

You may want to try reseating everything one more time, but be ready for it to still not work. If it helps any, I feel your pain, dude.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  16. javaking

javaking

Thanks Received:
    check to see if the processor pulled loose and maybe you bent one of the pins
    freaksavior says thanks.
  17. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    It's an alu case right? Are you bolting it down right? Smells like ground issue. How are you so certain it's HDD related? I don't understand how you go from CPU over heating to boot block failure. Wat?
    freaksavior says thanks.
  18. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    Grounding issue, I've had this happen with a few different laptops when I've taken them apart, try booting the mobo outside of the case on a cardboard box or something, if that works look for areas inside the case that may be grounding the mobo, etc. improperly.
    freaksavior says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  19. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I have such a problem having backups stored on a hard drive as the larger drives are so prone to failure. I personally say get a blu-ray burner and blu-ray dvd's and backup onto that. That is what, 25GB per disc?
    freaksavior says thanks.
  20. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    Why just assume that a local shop will rape you? Tell them that the max you've got to spend is $100, and that if they can't at least pinpoint what's wrong at that point to call you and have you pick it up. Or you can go to Best Buy and certainly get raped.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  21. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I think you just missed something
    freaksavior says thanks.
  22. freaksavior

Thanks Received:

I'll check the ground again.

I just don't trust places like that when i've done computer repairs for about 7 years. Doing pc repairs hasn't change much.

Maybe I did. Im going to give it another shot.

I may take it to a shop, I might not. I haven't decided.

::edit::

So the hard drive is spinning but no bootup. Plugged in an external monitor and also nothing. about to go take it apart again.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    I would recommend turning things on as you go while it's still apart somewhat. First priority is to get the display to show up.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  24. JustaTinkerer New Member

Thanks Received:
    This would be my advise as well.
    freaksavior says thanks.
  25. freaksavior

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

It keeps locking up
    Crunching for Team TPU