1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fudzilla: Next Gen ATI graphics will be on 28nm - late 2010

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Wartz, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    But then closer to the time you can hear "ATi next Gen will be 20nm" and want to wait for that...

Technology isn't about waiting.

And this is way to early for ATi 6XXX Series discussion.
    Kei says thanks.
  3. cyriene

cyriene New Member

Thanks Received:
    Probably be even more problems and delays then the transition to 40nm
  4. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Not worth waiting, If you need a GPU now, buy one now, new hot gear will ALWAYS be on the horizon, MoonPig stated this very well.
  5. newfellow New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, have to agree. Waiting is for green pandas only. Technology goes always forward or well so "they" say. :)
  6. human_error

human_error

Thanks Received:
    A new ATi/Nvidia GPU is released every 12 months or so - this FUD article is just pointing out the obvious. As Moonpig said, if people wouldn't buy thing because something better is due in 12 months then no-one would ever upgrade. Welcome to the wonderful world of technology, where everything is out of date the day it's released.
  7. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    waiting will always reap better rewards, but unfortunately no matter how long you wait, something else will be in the pipeline. if you're running a system that can run current games to a standard you desire, then don't bother with the next gen cards :) but by all means don't wait a year for something when you could have great performance for that year, and still great performance for a while after that too.

There always has to be a balance in how long you're willing to wait, and what you'll miss out on if you do wait. A year is just a little long for a gpu, especially when the gpu in question is just a rumour, and the timescale likely to be a lot longer than a year. After all, a hd5870 will still run new games for a while and very well too (games can't be much more demanding than crysis really for the next 2 years, and that runs nicely :) ). Also, the next generation of consoles won't be out for a year or two anyway, so the majority of AAA games on the pc will run on any midrange card until then. Well, probably a few months after that, the first real 'next gen' game on the 360 was GoW i think, all the rest were just ps2 ports for about a year. Considering the disparity between the 360 and ps3 release dates, i see a repeat of that situation [although the ps3 does have a bit more power anyway, so it won't be as bad].
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Wow I understand this is all not set in stone but gees.... It's very cool and interesting!

Nice find :)
  9. Wartz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thing is. I have a crossfire setup that is close to or as fast as a single HD 5870. I am not ready to shell out $800 (or even $600 for the x2), for a card that will be twice as fast as my current setup. So unless a single Fermi GPU is twice as fast as a crossfire 4870 setup, and it doesn't rape your wallet, then it looks like HD 6xxx would be my next upgrade.

But I suppose that you guys are right in saying that it's too early to speculate.
  10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If I waited to buy something everytime that I heard something new was coming out, I would still be running CGA graphics and a 300 baud modem.

It's not too early to speculate, it's just too early to base a buying decision on future vaporware.
  11. inferKNOX

inferKNOX

Thanks Received:
    +1
    I think we all would be still using the walkie-talkie-like cell phones.:laugh: