1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fujitsu paves way to 5 TB hard drives

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sasqui, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    From THG:

"...Sunnyvale (CA) - Fujitsu claims that it has developed a key technology that would allow the company to quintuple today's highest commercial storage densities in hard disk media. If researchers will be able to transfer the technology into commercial products, we could see 5 TB desktop drives and 1.5 TB notebook drives in the not too distant future. ..."

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/18/fujitsu_patterned_media/
  2. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    I want one I'm tired of running out of space so fast.
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    True - specially my notebook... I've got one 60gb pri internal, 80gb secondary internal, 100gb portable... it's a data mangement nightmare. I have to blame VMWare. MP3s and DVD Video!
  4. imzjustplayin New Member

Thanks Received:
    Smart people use a desktop and or fileserver for their main needs and a laptop for when they're on the go. Treating your laptop like your mainrig is pretty stupid IMO. If you refuse to have a desktop, build your self a fileserver from an older computer and just hook up a power cord and ethernet cable to the nic from the switch/router. When you get into the realm of several hundred gigabytes and or terabytes, it's a very good idea to have a dedicated machine for that.

(Thats what I have anyways)
  5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    The only person I know that needs that kind of space is my dad.. he torrents like you wouldne believe. But he has too many cds/dvds to count and has 600GB of hard disk space ( 2*250 1*120)
    I dont use alot of space, I have 1 250 and 1 120, and I dont even have the 120 in my pc.
    Crunching for Team TPU