1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FutureMark 3DMark06 Benchmark Overview

Discussion in 'News' started by malware, Jan 18, 2006.

1. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    The most important change in 3DMark06 revolves more around the CPU than the GPU; CPU test results now influence and affect the overall 3DMark score. This is a first for the benchmark that had previously made the 3DMark score a derivative of the game tests only and left the CPU tests to be used by reviewers and interested third parties only. That is no longer the case with 3DMark06. The rest of the new features are upgrades in rendering and graphics technology. 3DMark06 uses Shader Models 2.0 and 3.0. Look at the full Overview here.

Source: PCPerspective

2. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    im not even goin to download that my card will die.

3. zAAm

zAAm

Thanks Received:
    Why did they opt to include the two tests from 3DMark05? That's lame. Even though they render it with the new engine and such, it sucks that there's only 2 new tests. Mmmm. ;)

4. trog100

Thanks Received:
    trying to get the bloodything now.. download says 25% with 1.1/2 hours left to go.. he he

expect some overloaded servers.. i tried more than a dozen before i got one to cough up..

gonna hazard a guess and say my single core/none sli/outdated x850xtpe/2 gig memory/ system will score 2500.. he he he

hard for em to get this right cos of the vagaries tween single and dual core cpus in games and whether or not future games will get written to take advantage of em.. or its all market hype to continue to sell us more cpus..

i have only just upgraded so i certainly aint gonna do it again for a while.. !!!

trog

Last edited: Jan 18, 2006
  5. trog100

Thanks Received:
    i have it.. if you are after the freeware option do not waste your time downloading this one.. it only has three functional tests which we have seen before.. seems the freeware 3dmark2006 is just a demo in the real sense.. unless u are into watching a slideshow of the battel of proxycon and the forest thing do not wate your time downloading this..

if i had have known what i was getting i would not have wasted my time or bandwidth..

trog

6. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Wow... I got a slow cpu I guess. And I think CPU factors into the total score now.

Total: 2017
    SM 2.0:1090
    CPU: 753

7. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    can someone tell me when the freeware version were u can actually "truley" get tested comes up? i said i wouldnt before but ..sigh i whant to kno were my system places

8. Tory New Member

Thanks Received:
    It requires 256MB video ram so you wouldn't be able to get a score.

9. trog100

Thanks Received:
    basically it only runs the canyon and deep freeze test if u have a SM 3.0 card

the lates generation X1000 plus ati cards and the late-ish nvidia cards.. an X850 XT PE for example dosnt run the two missing tests..

i think futuremark have a bit of problem with none sm 3.0 cards.. in a real life game that uses sm 3.0 its just gets turned off.. this actually produces faster framerates with the older generation ati cards..

thats why u cant run the full tests with the older but faster X850 type ati cards.. they would score more than a standard X1800..

an X1600 will run em and probably score more than an overclocked X850 XT PE for example..

so as valid gaming yardstick u can only count the latest generation of cards.. it will produce an artifically low score for none sm 3.0 cards..

u also dont get to see all the pretties.. which did kinda piss me off..

trog

ps.. forget my comment about the freeware being responsible for the missing canyon and deep freeze tests.. its down to the none sm 3.0 card..