1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FX 8150 voltage constantly changing

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gusther, Sep 21, 2012.

1. gusther New Member

Thanks Received:
    The review said, It’s quite a sparse VRM compared to more expensive boards, with only a pair of transistors going to each phase Each phase can be supplied with 50A of steady current to the CPU, combining for 400A total .The Crosshair V Formula has 3 FETs per phase, which can supply over 2000 amps to the CPU.It is not uncommon for this CPU to draw 350-450W at 1.5v and up, which means it is drawing a current upwards of 300 A. By that point, you are getting pretty close to the maximum output of the VRM, which is usually not a good thing.
  2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    My entire rig fully loaded hits about 450-watt usage. I can't believe that the 8150 draws that much power and at 1.5v I would hope you're running it under water because it's going to get really hot really quick at that voltage on a 32nm chip (granted its SOI, not HKMG so somewhat higher voltages are expected). I could be wrong, but even my 940 overclocked eating up 1.45v wouldn't get that high and temps where pretty close to max at that point on air as well.
  3. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    It is not always about 4+1 phase and 8+2 phase.
    Always remember, a better designed 4+1 phase power can be more effective than a poorly designed 8+2 phase power.
    My Asus M4A88TD-M EVO has 4+1 phase and a MicroATX board. Still I can overclock my 955BE 125W CPU to 4.2 GHz stable!
  4. gusther New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, but finally did not send back the board and assemble the pc with gigabyte and guess what happened, the cpu-z ,HMZ,AIDA 64,CPUID have the same constantly changing reading, I will assume that is normal , on the other hand looking at CPUID reding, I see that the -12V is also changing between -3.53 and -14.46 don´t know if that is good.
    The performance of this CPU is absolutely amazing, I should continue with other programs but at least in the programs load and comparing with a core I7 920 that I had. Perhaps the problem is the consumption
    Daimus says thanks.
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    How much voltage are you giving it though? Not all CPUs need a ton of power to overclock really well.