1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

fx-8320, problem with prime95, vcore and overclock

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by myself, Jan 25, 2013.

1. myself New Member

Thanks Received:
    i'm thinking about the VRMs... with stock multiplier the vcore range is ok, no initial boost and no vdrop.

2. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    This sounds like his VRMs are crying for mercy. That board has no heat sync on the VRMs so they definitely need airflow. Could the VRMs themselves be overheating in addition to struggling to power the CPU.

How does the vcore behave when you're not overclocking and you drop the voltage? I got a Phenom II 965 (140-watt version,) and an ASUS board and at higher voltages the VRMs love to whine. More voltage tends to result in a louder whine (since the CPU is drawing more power) at least on the board I got. The difference is I have cooling on the VRMs and it's an 8+1 phase VRM and my voltages are stable. I suspect you're pushing that board a bit too hard and if you are you could damage the board or the CPU if you're not carful. Disable LLC and let the voltage droop. I suspect you'll run a higher chance of hurting your CPU if you enable it. It tends to keep the CPU voltage from spiking by keeping the Vdroop so fluctuations in current and voltage are less likely to cause voltage spikes in the VRM output. Enabling it could cause the voltage to overshoot its designed target and if your VRMs are struggling I wouldn't take the chance that enabling LLC will boost your voltage too much, stressing both the VRMs and the CPU.

All in all, I would run stock settings across the board then see how the voltages look. Also how does your +12v look? (Yes, I know. Measure with a multi-meter if you can, otherwise it's a guesstimate if you read it from software, but get whatever you can.)

Now it really sounds like your VRMs. Poor motherboard. :(

3. myself New Member

Thanks Received:
    i ve added a passive coolers on my vrms one month ago. this system, at that time, ran well without any problems.

However, should i re-buy my motherboard? :cry:

4. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:
    get a sabertooth original version its reasonably priced and i can confirm it works with the 8350 and its well priced
    the new r2 isnt worth the money

5. myself New Member

Thanks Received:
    the sabertooth is too much expensive for me, university don't gave money to us eheh!

what do you think about this?:

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
    AM3+ socket
    Support for 32nm AMD FX-Series 4-core, 6-core and 8-core processors (Bulldozer and Piledriver core)
    Support for existing AM3 Phenom II and Athlon II processors
    8+2 phase power/VRM with heatsink cooling, and 140W CPU TDP support
    4x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32GB of dual channel memory
    Native support for DDR3 at 1066, 1333, 1600 and 1866 Mhz; can support higher mhz through overclocking
    AMD 970 northbridge chipset and AMD SB950 southbridge chipset
    Support for AMD CrossfireX at 16X and 4X using PCIEX16 and PCIEX4 slots**
    Support for 6 SATA6GB/s devices, as well as RAID0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10 and JBOD
    Up to 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (8 ports on back panel, and up to 6 through internal USB)
    Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (2 on back panel, 2 through internal header)
    Please note that a 4x PCI-E link will bottleneck graphics cards more powerful than an HD 5770/6770
    Integrated Realtek RTL8111E LAN
    Integrated Realtek ALC889 HD audio
    Up to 7.1 channels
    Support for S/PDIF out
    Support for Dolby Home Theatre
    Expansion slots:
    All PCI-E Express slots conform to the PCI-E 2.0 standard
    1x PCI-E x16 slot running at x16
    1x PCI-E x16 slot running at x4
    2x PCI-E x1 slots
    2x PCI slots
    ATX Form Factor; 30.5CM x 24.4CM
    Rev 3.0 boards have UEFI support with dual UEFI BIOS

6. commission3r

commission3r

Thanks Received:

7. myself New Member

Thanks Received:
    thank you guys! i ll buy a new motherboard soon!

8. myself New Member

Thanks Received:
    finally got Sabertooth 990FX rev2.0 :p