1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FX 8350 Brick wall

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by RCoon, Nov 8, 2012.

1. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Piledriver or Vishera, is not like other FX chips, or Phenom X6 or X4. NB speed cannot be set independently like those chips, and this time is directly related to memory speed.

The CPU-NB, up to 1.3 V is fine, sure, but you should not NEED to increase CPU-NB at all, all the way up to 2666 MHz memory(I am not sure on higher since my memory does not go higher).

AMD says :

cdawall and os2wiz say thanks.
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Very interesting. I had not realized that the Vishera overclocking criteria were so different. ASUS really hasn't said a lot about it at all. Good thing you picked up those criteria from AMD.
    That what I like about these forums here. WE have some very inquisitive members here who browse everytrhing they can get their hands on . You are a good teacher. We all can learn, especially myself.

3. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    Memory controller is now fully 128-bit, hence the major difference. Previous chipshad dual 64-bit memory controller (that could be "ganged" together as 128-bit controller, or "unganged" as dual 64-bit) on 128-bit bus. Independent NB speed helped adjust for dual controllers, it seems, while with a singular 128-bit controller, it's best to adjust NB speed according to memory speed, so that the controller matches memory in the most optimal way.

At least, that's how I understand it. :p That change is why the controller is more efficient than Bulldozer, I imagine?

os2wiz says thanks.