1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FX 8350 or i7 4770k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ANIR0X2K00L, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Which will u buy for a gaming PC

1. i7 4770k

55.2%
  2. fx 8350

28.7%
  3. wait for amd to release steamroller

16.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You're faced with a delicious catch-22.
    • Get +15~20% performance and 25~35% lower power draw, with i7-4770K
    • Get +5% frame-rates across your games with the $330 i7-4770K
    • Get +20% frame-rates by buying a $199 FX-8350, and spending the $131 you save on a better graphics card*

*$330 Core i7-4770K + $200 GeForce GTX 660 (total $530) will give you lower frame-rates than $200 FX-8350 + $330 GeForce GTX 670 (total $530).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    But in fact you are wrong. Even word processors benefit with muliti-threading. I was an os/2 user for many years. The premier word processor for os/2 was a product called Describe. They ran separate threads for spell-check and undo ,which was unlimited. The processor was designed for large manuscripts or documents. The threading made it possible for the unlimited undo and made spell check much faster.

You are so much on point. If effort is required to produce a quality product with intelligent design then these bastards have every responsibility to do so. Lazy , smug, and poorly trained are the words that come to mind.

3. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The fact that they don't and there will still be people who use it anyway means that their product is good enough for some, and we have to optimise this non-ideal situation. Now off your high horse and come back to reality ;)

4. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    Assuming no overclocking. Once you jump into that realm, that 8350 needs A LOT better than a $120 board to hold overclocks well (vs SB/IB that does fine around there), not to mention a monster air cooler or AIO to keep temps of the octo under control. :toast:

5. Dent1

Thanks Received:

Whilst I agree with some of your comment it would have had more impact if a slight attempt to employ basic grammar, punctuation and correct spelling. The clearer your sentence structure the better your argument will be understood. It's a pity that I understand some of the non-native English speakers in this forum better than a British, United Kingdom resident from Manchester?

Some slight correction. Sorry It was so bad I couldn't fix it all.

6. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    this guys planning on waiting till later to buy such cpu/mobo, and wants something to last 5-6years. if i remember correctly, without quoting as well.

so if he could wait till the end of the year, what sort of components are expected then?

and wouldnt buying a 2 year old processor be the wrong choice? especially as games etc are more than likely to evolve.

RCoon says thanks.
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    And what.
    Im not an English teacher , im an engineer with a shit phone.
    I do apologise ..

More than 25k PPD
  8. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    How would buying a steamroller FX processor which will be available in the 4th quarter be a 2 year old CPU? Please read before you post.

9. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:

Oh I see you are back again. No further comments until the FX steamroller is released in 4th quarter.Then we can answer the chaps question of which CPU would be best.

10. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    "Back again"? Huh?

Anyhoo - I addressed the question with KNOWN information is all. Its not my fault he starts the thread 9 months prematurely. Now, go troll someone else who will take your bait ehh?

11. os2wiz

os2wiz

Thanks Received:
    You misinterpreted my remarks. I am saying we really have to wait and since he can wait a while, it makes sense to withhold a recommendation until we have more information. I was not merely responding to you but the whole conversation.

12. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    If you are not talking to XXXX, then dont quote XXXX next time. :)

13. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, back when CPUs were running at 33Mhz or less. The point is with a modern cpu with a modern OS the difference won't be noticeable for a lot of tasks and the overhead of making certain tasks multi-threaded doesn't outweigh the costs.

The simple fact is that games deal with data that's a bit more complex than a word processor document and there are interdependencies where two or more threads. It is very possible that the number of locks required to ensure that data is consistent and that race conditions don't occur, you're looking at a lot of overhead and possibly a huge change to your code base to accommodate that design.

More companies than not use existing code to write applications and writing something new from scratch takes a lot of time, money, and effort. Unless it needs to be done, money tends to be more important than performance unless performance costs you money and despite people complaining about games not being well multi-threaded, people are still going to buy their games weather or not they change their strategy.

It all comes down to money, money, money. :(

14. skellattarr

skellattarr

Thanks Received:
    lol boy let the amd intel war begin

Lionheart says thanks.
  15. d1nky

Thanks Received:
    my apologies, i thought the FX8350 was released in 2011, which it was actually october 2012. ive had one hell of a weekend and still feel drunk! :toast:

the op asked 4770k or 8350? and then later added a poll including steamroller.

he also said about waiting till the end of the year, which is why i said. wouldnt it be better to ask this question then, and why compare a one year old cpu (corrected) against a brand new relased cpu.

its not that im trolling, i just dont see how we can compare something hypothetical

p.s i was meaning the fx8350 being the old cpu. you misunderstood i think

EarthDog says thanks.
  16. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you have nothing better to say can you kindly please not post anything? :slap:

EarthDog says thanks.
  17. ANIR0X2K00L New Member

Thanks Received:
    I want to say something here, i know that the second combination is a better option for the cost but i will have to keep my new CPU and new GPU (gtx 770 or hd 8950) for 5 years, i bought a Core 2 Duo e7400 2.8ghz 4 years ago and i regret my decision to save on my CPU and go for a better GPU since i am only able to utilise 40% of my current card. I have the money to get a 4770k and a gr8 GPU, actually for reference 3770k costs $430 in my country, and a 670 cost $560 so its really expensive. These types of setups " $200 FX-8350 + $330 GeForce GTX 670 (total $530)" are for those who want to keep their systems for 2 years and my question is it capable to survive for 5 years.

And when is steam roller coming and what are the new features? Because some on this forum are suggesting wait for steamroller to come out and then compare the highest version with the 4770k.

18. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Whilst no release date has been announced that I know of , most are expecting steamroller in Q3-4 of this year.
    It might well be worth the wait and the core count on cpus for consumers won't go past 8 for a fairly long time imho as consoles will dictate typical core use in games for years to come.
    Yeah 12 -16 cores might already be out but I mean common place and utilised effectively, so I happily bought an 8350 expecting 4-5 years good use of it though next swap for me would have to be the motherboard to add pciex 3 and ddr4 perhaps.

More than 25k PPD
  19. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    If you have the money to buy the 4770K + gr8 GPU then why is the need for this discussion?

And what makes you think that FX-8350 + 670 will survive for 2 yrs and not so for 5+ yrs? Newer games that are released utilize more than 4 cores and am sure this will get better and better. Games will be GPU challenged.

And FYI the PC market might die because of the hand held devices flooding the market, you never know.

my 2 cents.

:toast:

20. Ikaruga

Ikaruga

Thanks Received:
    We are not at peak atm (performance wise). If you would have bought a 2600K at Sandy times and OC-ed it to the roof, that config would have been good for 5 years, but not Ivy or Haswell, they are just "patching" good old Sandy at Oregon.
    Intel is much better than AMD (it's night and day tbh), but they are going downhill bad, why AMD is worse but going up, and who knows, perhaps Steamroller will be something big.
    Intel will kick in again when the Haifa team will be ready with their Skylake (14nm). Those guys never disappoint, and that will be Intel's next peak, and that will be the time when you will have to buy the best option again, which will hold it's value for a long time.

edit.: So I suggest get something what's "best for the buck" mid-range now, something good enough but not too expensive. The time is just not right to spend money on the top high-end atm in my opinion.

21. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Speaks a lot of sense regarding Intel imho and reasonable end point to be fair

Ikaruga says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  22. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I agree completely, they talked about it being a new engine, but it's just renamed and tweaked, same engine they been running for about a decade. Sadly though, the game is so damn fun, despite the crappy optimizations for current hardware, I still want to play.

23. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Any of those CPU's would do just fine, but obviously the 4770k will be the faster of the two. I can tell you now my 8350 plays all the games I play easily, doesn't break a sweat at all and is alot faster then my 965 (yes in gaming).

Im like you I want a system to last me a long time. I built this system to last me a good 5-6yrs as I don't play games as much as I used to (getting old) and the games that come out even my old 965 would still be able to play them no worries, so getting the 8 core set me up for now and for the future. I don't see games getting much more demanding but hopefully more optimised for the hardware we have now. Its not that the hardware is slow its that the software needs to catch up.

The choice is yours, either will do the job, it all comes down to one thing, price, save some going the AMD or spend big and go the intel for that little extra boost :)

24. techtard

techtard

Thanks Received:
    I'm hitting 5.0 ghz on a $100 ASUS M5a97 Rev 2.0 mobo paired with an FX-8320. :D It does however, require monster cooling like you said. And the heat it throws out, it's like having an electric heater under my desk.

As some others have said, go for whatever you can get cheaper. An FX platform with a more powerful GPU will be just as good in most games, except for a few that are poorly programmed, or use very ancient game engines & are CPU-bound.

nVidia is supposedly releasing the 7xx series soon, maybe get an FX based PC + a high end GTX 770.

25. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    He was stating the obvious:wtf: I see nothing wrong with that :wtf: