1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fx 8350 vs i5 4690k

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Moofacekilla, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Moofacekilla

Thanks Received:
    I'm doing an upgrade next month and I already have a R9 280 what would you guys recommend? I am going to use the build for gaming.

2. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    4690k would be the best bet for gaming.

Gaming requires more Single Threaded performance than Multi-Threaded so I would definitly go with the i5.

3. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Which game do you plan to play? and generally what type of games do you play?

4. Moofacekilla

Thanks Received:
    I play just about everything I just want the best performance I can get my budget for ram cpu and motherboard is about 500

5. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    If you do mostly gaming, get the 4690k. If you do a lot of multithreaded work as well, like video encoding and that sort of thing, get the FX. The FX is slower in terms of single threaded performance but the cores will make up for it and turn our faster than the 4690k.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Get the i5 regardless the FX is dated, its 2 years old, slower, no reason to get it.

MxPhenom 216 and erocker say thanks.
  7. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    +1

8. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    The i5 4690K

9. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    The R9 280 is a powerful video card already, the FX 8350 won't make an already very powerful FX 8350 less competent.

Think of the end result, will the i5 4690k be worth the extra few frame rates which is already above and beyond an acceptable level?

Edit: Thought you had the FX 8350 already. This changes everything. Both CPUs are very credible and are priced similarly. If you game more the i5 4690k, if you do a mixture of work tasks and gaming than the FX 8350. I'm leaning towards the Intel this time around.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  10. Ruyki

Ruyki

Thanks Received:
    4690k for sure since it's single thread performance is way better and that's what you need for some games. And the FX doesn't really have a multithread performance advantage anyway...

11. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    While the FX isn't a bad CPU, I don't think anyone can objectively say its the better choice over the 4960k, certainly not for gaming.

12. Moofacekilla

Thanks Received:
    OK thanks everyone for your opinions. I was just curious if the extra cost was worth it.

13. Sempron Guy

Sempron Guy

Thanks Received:
    Oh the extra cost is worth it. if you're gonna utilize it right. However, if you mainly into gaming, you can opt for the FX, then maybe add the extra budget supposedly intended for the 4690k to your gpu budget.

14. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    CPU_Game_Performance_Compare.JPG

This is bit old that I posted on another similar discussion. If you can find a comparison between 3570K and 4690K that will give you a base to decide on which one.

FYI 8350 is not that bad like most people say.

Lionheart and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  15. Moofacekilla

Thanks Received:
    I already bought my gpu I'm using it in my system now. It's a MSI R9 280. But if I'm on a budget is the difference even going to be noticeable?

16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    The noticeable difference is with lintel you use about 1/2 the power to achieve the same performance. There are a few other oddities with the FX that I can never put my finger on. System stability, boot times, heat, less headaches with drivers. I can't say its concrete it just feels this way to me. As far as gaming performance you probably wont notice any difference

The other noticeable difference is the Intel has a newer platform. So upgrades will be painless. With the FX your already at the top of the food chain for AMD

17. Moofacekilla

Thanks Received:
    OK I was already planning on getting the 4690k I was just weighting my options and if it was a better deal.

18. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Check with several users here with Amd rigs. Im still in wprk on mine. I nerd a gc. Psu and optical drive

19. Dionysus

Thanks Received:
    I currently have the 8350, upgraded from an 8120, which I still have (might make a HTPC out of it). My system isn't the best by any means, but I do know that it performs well, and over clocks easily. I've also thought about switching over the blue side, but it is near impossible to find a board that allows two PCIe x16 lanes to be populated and run at full speed. Most "budget" boards for Intel only offer 1 @ x16 or 2 @ x8/x8, meaning that if you XFire later on, you won't get to use the full x16 speed of both lanes. While AMD doesn't offer Gen 3 for PCIe, from what I have read, there is no real performance increase between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Basically, it comes down to what you really want to do. I do fine with gaming, I don't run into any bottle necking or hesitation with my chip, but I have an SSD, so that might help a little. I do use Adobe CS6, and it runs very smoothly on my system.

Shipping and tax brings the AMD system to ~$450 (8350 + Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z). Just under your $500 budget. The I5 could go just above it, depending on the board you get. The FX line isn't dead yet, and with DDR4 just around the corner, a new set of boards, and possible new set of chips, could be on the way as well...

20. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    If you must know the one true advantage of the FX, look here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These graphs work for some of the most modern games aswell(the properly multithreaded ones) and are expected to be quite relevant for some time to come.

So arguably, the FX gives you better performance for the money, but this is only true if the programs are properly multithreaded (which is the case in all the graphs above). However the 4690k will do better in basically everything else and use less power, but costs more.

Apart from that both platforms seem to be a bit of a dead end upgrade wise, as both AMD and Intel are rumored to bring out their next big CPU on a different chipset.

So it really comes down to what you prefer: going down the superior route with Intel (basically), or the slightly cheaper and sometimes better underdog route (some people are into that kind of thing, yours truly included (as long as the difference is manageable ofc :p)).

21. Enterprise24

Thanks Received:
    Some game like Total War series and most older games with DX9 love IPC and clock speed.
    Get 4690K and make it to 4.6Ghz or more that is perfectly for single GPU.

22. Recca29

Thanks Received:
    +1

Edit
    Personally i wont buy a 4690k as currently it costs twice as much as a FX8350, and i already have a AM3+ board. but if have to built a new system, i will definitely go with Intel.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. GreiverBlade

GreiverBlade

Thanks Received:
    totaly agree, plus also a FX 6300 can achieve the same in game than a 8320 (50 if OC) i use a 6300 along with a R9 290 and i have no game that give me a bad player experience (except some MMO in crowded area but that's logical) and i don't play RTS so unless for MMO (not so disturbing tho) and specially RTS the FX could also do good.

24. Ruyki

Ruyki

Thanks Received:
    Did you know that PCIe gen 3 is about twice as fast as PCIe gen 2? That means Intel's 8x + 8x PCIe 3 performs practically identical to AMD's 16x + 16x PCIe 2. Not that it matters since GPUs don't use all that speed anyway.

INSTG8R and theeldest say thanks.
  25. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Love AMD but go with the i5 :toast: