1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

FXAA, target framerate, and Adaptive V-Sync question on GTX 680

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Phusius, May 15, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sorry once again for having a question about my GTX 680. I have Adaptive V-Sync on, FXAA on both forced globally, I have a 120hz monitor, now do I need to worry about my GPU over working in high end games to try and maintain 120hz?

Second question, what exactly is the point of target framerate in EVGA precision, I honestly just do not know what this does.

Last question, Since I have FXAA on globally, I can lean x4 MSAA off in games now right? because the settings in Nvidia control panel say that it is equal to it.
  2. Maban

Maban

Thanks Received:
    I don't fully understand your first question. Adaptive VSync won't make your GPU work harder than with VSync off. It's going to turn off Vsync until your FPS gets above your refresh rate.

Target frame rate is to cap your FPS so your GPU doesn't go above the refresh rate (or lower if you think something like 45 FPS is decent) so your GPU doesn't do more work than it needs to. This isn't necessary if you have VSync on. I would actually recommend against using it if VSync is on.

It's up to you whether you want to turn off MSAA. FXAA has advantages and disadvantages versus MSAA. Personally I like to have FXAA and MSAA work together.
    Phusius says thanks.
  3. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    You answered all my questions for me, thanks a lot man.
    Maban says thanks.