1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G.Skill ECO + MSI P55-GD65 Problem

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by plext0r, May 12, 2010.

1. plext0r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently purchased the MSI P55-GD65 m/b and I'm running the latest 1.8 BIOS. I installed a pair of G.Skill ECO DDR3-1333 sticks which are supposed to be compatible. They are claimed to run 7-7-7-21 @ 1.35V. Using the latest BIOS, I enabled X.M.P. and the machine boots. If I try running MemTest86+, it generates thousands of errors within a few seconds.

If I go back to the default SPD of 9-9-9-24, MemTest86+ runs for 10+ hours without problems.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a similar setup and if it was stable for them.

Thanks.
  2. 34.50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have this motherboard, but I don't have BIOS v1.8, I'm on v1.7 using G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 also rated for 7-7-7-21 @1.5v.

I'm going to upgrade, and will let you know if it works at 7-7-7-21.

Are you OC'ing the CPU or have OC-Genie on by any chance? Do you still get the errors if you don't OC?
  3. plext0r New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am not overclocking at all at the moment. OC Genie is enabled, but I never hit the button.

Have you run MemTest86+ with your current RAM?
  4. 34.50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I've had this board since the P55 chipset first came out, and I've ran memtest on the 1.6 BIOS, and no errors showed up after like a 6 hour run.

I've updated to 1.8, changed my timings back to 7-7-7-21 (as BIOS settings get reset after BIOS updates), and ran memtest when I slept, and still no errors. I don't have OCGenie enabled, but I do have my CPU overclocked.

The weird thing is if I enable XMP (and this has been the case for all the BIOS versions, except the BIOS the board was released with), my computer won't boot, this board seems to be really picky with memory settings, so there's going to be trial/error for you. Is your XMP profile set the timings to 7-7-7-21?
  5. plext0r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for looking into this. When I enabled XMP under BIOS 1.7, I had to clear CMOS to get the machine back up. It never POST'd. With BIOS 1.8, XMP works and sets it to 7-7-7-21. I leave DRAM Voltage set to Auto and I've verified SPD says 1.35V, but I'm not sure DRAM Voltage is actually 1.35V because when I hit the - key on the numeric keypad, it starts around 1.5V. It sounds like "Auto" means 1.5V instead of whatever SPD returns.

I found a post in another forum about a 1.82 Beta BIOS for this board. I'm trying to find that BIOS because MSI's forum refers to their German forum which is currently offline.
  6. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    1.35V even for 1333 speeds seems low to me, that average for other sticks is 1.5V, have you tried running them at the tighter timings on 1.5V.... ? I appreciate that by their very name they may be specced at a lower Vdimm but that in itself could be the issue.
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. 34.50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    No problem, and thanks to you, I know about v1.8. I thought MSI gave up on BIOS updates since the last one was like in January or February.

Yeah, I had the same problem with the XMP, it didn't POST for me either, so I had to clear CMOS too.

Hmm 1.82 BIOS sounds interesting. I've read a lot of problems with memory sticks on P55-GD65, it's a good thing MSI is working on it still, although it really shouldn't be a problem to begin with.
    plext0r says thanks.
  8. plext0r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you using these DDR-1333 modules?

If I cannot get the ECO modules working, I might return them and get the same ones.
  9. 34.50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yep, those are the ones I'm using. Holy crap, I got those for $88 back in like October, and I'm running 8GB.

I'd just shop around for something cheaper, I guess. Also, MSI themselves have a pdf of memory compatibility for this motherboard. The PDF doesn't say it's for this motherboard, but if you goto the P55-GD65 page, and click on Test Reports, then click Memory Modules, it opens that pdf.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and hope everything works out. :)
  10. plext0r New Member

Thanks Received:
    After looking at G.Skill's forums, I followed some more basic troubleshooting techniques. I tried switching the DIMMs and the problems persisted. I tried one DIMM at a time with 7-7-7-21 @ 1.35V. One DIMM was stable for an hour or so; the other DIMM gave errors immediately.

I believe I need to exchange the pair of DIMMs. Now I need to determine if I exchange them via NewEgg (since I'm within the 30-day window) or if I RMA with G.Skill.
  11. 34.50 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, I think you were unfortunate enough to get bad sticks, or the GD65 is too picky with this RAM.

Newegg is pretty easy to deal with, not sure about G.Skill.