1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GA-Z77X-UD3H - Slot Placement and Dimm Performance? Stability Test?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Vario, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I achieved a overclock of 2200 MHz 11 11 33 1t @ 1.6v with my Kingston HyperX Black 2x8GB set. This memory passed a 24 hour memtest no problems at the XMP 1600 10 10 10 30 @ 1.5v speed.

Recommended slots are 1 and 2, which are the two further dual channel slots from the CPU. However, having tested my two HyperX black sticks in 3 and 4 as well as 1 and 2, I have found that the two closer (spaced/staggered) slots to the CPU actually perform much higher in benchmarks. These are slots 3 and 4.

Should I continue to use 3 and 4?

3 and 4 are supported for dual channel operation just like 1 and 2, the motherboard manual just recommends to use 1 and 2. The only other concern is the slot 4 DIMM is right under the CPU cooler so it gets slightly less air flow.

The DIMMS feel warm to the touch but nothing excessive.

I assume the DO NOT EXCEED 1.5v MEMORY FOR NEHALEM/SANDY/IVY/HASWELL OR YOUR CHIP WILL EXPLODE WARNING is bullshit right? To get this stuff stable at 2200 11-11-11-33 1t I may have to raise it to 1.65, the 1.6v failed 4th loop of ibt with max ram.

Also what is the preferred current method for stability testing ram overclocks? My CPU overclock is pretty damn stable, I have been running it at 4.2 with +.40v offset for a few days with IBT very high 50 loops 24 hours of p95 blend etc etc. Just would like to know how to guarantee I don't corrupt my data with bad memory overclock.

This is the ram I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104361

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Running 1.65v on my 3570K, it has not exploded yet. Also, if it works better on 3 and 4 stick (pun not intended) with those. AFAIK recommendations is so that its easier instructions to builders.

3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I tried a few more runs in different slots and it seems to be the same, must be background processes. I moved them to slots 1 and 2. Trying to stabilize at 1.62 now.

I'll run 1.65v if I have to to stabilize this because who cares, I have a 3 year warranty and if they somehow figured it out that I ran oc'd ram I have a $25 performance tuning plan.
    I imagine the recommendation to not run high voltage memory is more to keep the heat down on stock processors with stock intel provided junky coolers. I am sure 1.65v ram adds substantial northbridge heat if you have a bad cooling solution.

I read elsewhere that ddr3 ram doesn't really care much about overvoltage/undervoltage as long as its within a range of 1.3 to 1.8. Is that true?