1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gabe Newell Calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    http://allthingsd.com/20120725/valves-gabe-newell-on-the-future-of-games-wearable-computers-windows-8-and-more/

I agree 100% with it being a catastrophe.
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Why? From what I've seen, they are definitely trying to "boil the ocean", and already have 2 major OS's for software vendors to support (ok a lot more with 64 and 32 bit permutations and if you count Vista). I can't speak to the usability of Win 8 myself, I haven't even looked at the Beta.
  3. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This was what impressed me most in the entire article

Jegergrim, hellrazor, digibucc and 3 others say thanks.
  4. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: I lol'ed when I read that. I wish there was a picture.
  5. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Just imagine a mustang frame with a 5L 302 V-8 engine and instead of a dash there is a full desk area HAHAHA
    Ravenas and Black Panther say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Thank you captain obvious. :toast:
  8. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Steam's not an operating system/operating environment.
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Hes a hypocrite that all I'm saying.

Its a platform and its closed as hell.
  10. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just from the screenshots I haven't even bothered to do any beta testing on it. I'm rather afraid to have to deal with it being a sys admin. Maybe I can convince the big boss man to skip this version. :laugh:
  11. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    It extremely closed. However, it is also extremely open in a sense that it provides an outlet for indie developers out there to actually sell their product to a mass maket that they might have otherwise not had the chance to do.
  12. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its the same with most "app" stores. Valve is it afraid MS might be stepping on thier toes.
  13. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Have you seen the Xbox8's specs? This thing is designed to replace the home PC in an effort to "monetize" everything you do on the PC. Xbox live and Zune and all the other crap they do on a proprietary PC designed by actuary.

This is not the same as steam. Steam may be closed and a form of DRM, but it doesn't attempt to make things which were previously free and make them proprietary.
  14. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    You won't have to do much convinicing. The Windows 8 is built for touch users. Honestly, that is how you get the best experience out of it. Otherwise, just stay with Windows 7.

Microsoft could imposs a DirectX standard on Windows and make people want to upgrade. Similar to what happened from Windows XP to Vista.
  15. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Xbox 8 Specs? Really?

Yeah good luck sticking with Windows 7 forever.
  16. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    They have been stepping on Valve's toes for some time now. Take "Games for Windows Live". Microsoft is doing something that developers are already doing on their platform.

Forever is a harsh word MailMan. :laugh: Windows 9 maybe?
  17. Munki

Munki New Member

Thanks Received:
    No kidding, Windows 9 will be in Beta a week after Windows 8 hits the shelves.
  18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    No it wont. You guys are kinda blind where the industry is going. iOS, OSX will soon be merging. Windows 8 is just taking that step sooner. Desktops and tablets will all soon share the same OS. This is all going to cloud computing. What you are seeing in Windows 8 is the future guys. Love it or hate it the game is changing.
  19. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    Lul. Comparing an OS to a software application is dumb. U should feel dumb. :slap:
  20. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Apple has done the same thing with Lion and Mountain Lion you just seem to downplay this fact.

Anyhow, it is obvious this is happening. It makes the operating system evolve from a dedicated "Windows only" platform to an ecosystem for many many consumer products. Great... Awesome. However, I don't want to spend 10 minutes searching for applications that can be found in 30 seconds max on Windows 7 all because I don't want to use a touch screen. Seriously, I don't want to play Starcraft 2 on a touch screen. I don't want to use Solid Works on a touch screen. I don't want to do jack sh*t on my computer with a touch screen. I like doing that on iPad or iPhone. However, not on my desktop.
  21. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    I love having to spell this out to people. The Xbox is designed to replace the Home PC since most people use it as a multimedia device. The people who run any productivity software will have to buy a different PC, but for most people, the Xbox will be a PC that runs everything they need it to. The Xbox will be a host to a ton of "monetized" services, You'll need xbox live for internet access, and a host of other subscription services. All this on a software platform you can't replace (secure boot).

Windows 8 is an attempt for all of those monetized services to be the norm on your PC courtesy of secure boot. They don't need to allow the platform to remain open for other developers any longer if they can close the PC platform on the software side.

I'm not going to go into the whole explanation because it's too long, but the Xbox is a cheap PC that serves most people's purposes with tons of subscription content attached.

If they can close the platform up, they don't have to let developers write anything for the platform. Services like steam could just be denied access.
  22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Ever heard of Steambox? No? :rolleyes:

You don't need a touch screen for Windows 8. Its just cross platform thats it. It just takes you longer to find things because its new. Not because its slower. OSX is behind windows 8 in this aspect.

They are also closing it to deter piracy. I have no issue with it because I pay for everything. I guess its ok for Apple and Valve but not MS?
  23. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    To some extent yes, the install base for windows is much larger. If it becomes the norm, many services we're used to being free may not be anymore. We already pay for an ISP, should we need to pay a gatekeeper (for Xbox live) just because they wrote that limitation in?
  24. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You are free to use Linux.
  25. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Gabe just wants to promote his closed-source Linux DRM, so he can make more billions

Apparently mentioning "Windows 8 sucks" gets his statement posted everywhere -> more people now know that there is Steam for Linux, next he can go to publishers and say "look everybody knows about Linux Steam. If you make a crap console port to Linux, we will only take 50% of the game cost as service fee for Steam"
    Jegergrim and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.