1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gabe Newell Calls Windows 8 a "Catastrophe"

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Ravenas, Jul 26, 2012.

1. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    If they could make games work on linux along with having good gpu drivers I would try it out.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    And boom goes the dynamite.
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  3. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    I may be doing that, but finding mobos without windows secure boot may become hard.

Don't get the wrong idea, While I'm sure Microsoft would love to do this, not every other company with any leverage wants this. (Though I'm wondering if enough care to stop it) I'm sure other figures involved in this situation are aware of the implications, and don't really want Microsoft to "own all of computing."
  4. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    Good linux drivers would likely be driven by demand. You'd need more people wanting better drivers in order for there to be enough pressure to make the gpu vendors write good drivers.
  5. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    They don't. They have a cozy relationship with Apple to starve off any anti-trust suits that might come their way. They don't wanna control all the world. Just enough to not get sued.

Not gonna happen. NVIDIA and AMD have way to much invested in making games run good on consoles and Windows.
  6. theubersmurf

theubersmurf

Thanks Received:
    True.
    If steam comes to Linux, that could change.
  7. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Its coming to Linux due to Steam box. But that means you will have the source engine and a bunch of indie games. AAA titles will remain DX driven.
  8. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I can get behind most of what you say, but this is absolute crap.

I bought a Sony cd, and it installed a rootkit on my computer. I legally paid for my content, but still got the raw end of the deal.

Windows 8 is an attempt to merge the OS for several devices, close the doors to outside developers, monetize everything, and make it all so seamless that most consumers don't realize what it going on. Newell can see this as a logical extension of the GFWL mentality, whereby MS gets a chunk of all sales and does little work for this extra money. Conversely, Steam made this mentality possible by proving that transparent DRM integration was acceptable to the consumers.

I don't like where things are going. Valve is stating the obvious, that MS closing off their systems is bad for all types of developers. Newell pointing out the obvious is nothing new, so why is this a big deal. It'll be November before EA makes a similar statement, but they will. I'm looking forward to the day that most consumers are forced out of Windows, by the slipshod practices of MS. By then Linux should be truly user friendly and easy to adopt for most consumers. MS will be moaning about their lost sales (due to ...piracy...), can't you see it already...?
  9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a chance in hell. MS and Sony both make consoles. As long as they are the main players in the game ports will ALWAYS be for Windows and not Linux. Also Windows is industry standard for 99% of ALL business operations in the world.
  10. rodrigox New Member

Thanks Received:
    Looks like Windows 7 is gonna have a long life!!
  11. robal

robal

Thanks Received:
    I'm happy for him to do that. As long as it helps Ubuntu/Linux gain more popularity.
  12. VulkanBros

VulkanBros

Thanks Received:
    99% - that must be desktop office and home users? that is some, I admit........

Where I come from, 90% of the production enviroments are running UNIX or Linux adaptions.

Why? - Stability, speed and the option to fine tune things your self - ohh and then some more stability. - and not some fancy GUI - tablet's or not - I don´t really care....
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    It sounds like he is worried about windows monopolizing the online game distribution market. If they really are including their own built-in version of steam with every single windows distribution. It Reeks of the whole "Internet Explorer v Netscape" anti-trust suit where Micro$oft ended up paying billions, since having the service built-in discourages alternatives to standard non-power users.

And it sounds like MS will be making it more difficult to code a program like Steam. Maybe making it run less effectively/efficiently, requiring more resources. That would certainly be grounds for anti-trust.
  14. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Linux is maybe 2% tops of the market. Granted 99% was a number I pulled out my ass but Ill bet you Windows controls the vast majority of the market. Well into the 60 percentile.

That whole suit was BS IMO.
  15. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Well he might be up to something. Just tried to test Crysis 2 with high-res pack DX11, Steam game on Windows 8 RP. This is how it looks like:

[​IMG]

Have checked the web. There is no fix.
  16. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Windows8 is more for phones than computers. Windows 8 sucks! I tried it out and man it looked like shit! Went back to windows7. IMHO, It will be some time before Micro$oft comes out with anything that will take it's place.
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Do you have Photoshop CS5 or earlier? If so can you install it and let me know if it works?
  18. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, I don't. But apart from these problems I'm getting the hang of it. Coming from Vista on this rig 8 is flying. Just copied from an external Sammy HDD through e-sata onto my old internal HDD a large file and it maintained around 100MB write speed. (You know you can watch a real-time graph sgowing you the speed?)
  19. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    None of this is getting Half-Life 3 here any faster.
  20. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    hellrazor says thanks.
  21. Depth

Thanks Received:
    You... upgraded from Vista to Win 8?
  22. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it.

Perhaps I'm stuck on an artificial number, but most businesses I know use a variant of Linux to run their server side. The sheer cost of a Windows Server installation is daunting, unless you absolutely have to have it for your business.

As far as the desktop market, yeah. MS wins the business desktop like a giant's foot wins against an ant. The problem with all of this is that it doesn't address GAMING. The point of the article, as I read it, was that a gaming industry giant is saying that their gaming platform was stretching out into Linux because they fear what Windows 8 spells.

I don't care about business, because my business PC never sees gaming and might benefit from some of the Windows 8 changes. I care about gaming because my 3930 is raring for something that challenges it, rather than an OS shackling to keep it down.
    hellrazor says thanks.
  23. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but most games will still be made for windows, and last time i checked DX 11 was way above and beyond anything that OpenGL had, so... I do like that valve is branching out, but I dont see people switching over to linux for gaming or anything else any time soon.

What this guy doesnt mention, is that even with all of the problems with windows 8 UI (and people will always, and always have, bitch and moan about UI changes), Linux has massive driver issues with a huge variety of hardware - and the last thing anyone wants to do is to spend 4 hours on wikis trying to figure out why the OS goes into a kernel panic everytime they load up the linux version of Skyrim.

So... sorry Gabe, I dont see a linux distro challenging windows in gaming anytime soon.

And in any case, what will happen is that 8 will come out, bomb like vista, and then 9 will come out by the end of 2013 and everyone will pretend like it never happened, just like Win ME.
  24. Crap Daddy

Crap Daddy

Thanks Received:
    No. I have a second machine that's running Vista Ultimate (OEM) 32 bit and after four years it was about time to do a clean install so I decided to give win 8 64 bit a run. On the main rig I have 7 (retail) and don't plan to change anything.
  25. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    well i think the point is that with additional development and more companies interested it doesn't have to stay that way. will it? likely for the forseeable future, but it doesn't HAVE to.