1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Galaxy Designs GeForce GTX 480 with Dedicated PhysX GPU

Discussion in 'News' started by btarunr, Jun 3, 2010.

1. SteelSix

SteelSix

Thanks Received:
    As Steevo said, imagine this thing shutting down the 480 core for surfing/idle. Hmm..

2. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Fold while you game.

3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Play all 16 hardware accelerated games, pair it with the killer 5770 and have a entirely overblown computer that will get spanked by a machine costing half as much.

10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. DarthCyclonis New Member

Thanks Received:
    So they really should have rebranded it the G92.1 Midget. LOL

5. RONX GT

RONX GT New Member

Thanks Received:
    A bit interesting then the regular GTX 480. NICE one Galaxy.:)

6. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    They really can't find a way to sell them G2XX leftovers, eh ? This is beyond silly. A GTX480 doesn't need the add-on GPU for PhysX. PhysX is a sham anyway (There's what ? 15 games that actually do it on the GPU ?), and this card is pointless.

Now, if this second chip was a Hydra chip like wahdangun said, then it would've been quite an intriguing card.

7. bobzilla2009 New Member

Thanks Received:
    It's no doubt that physX will never amount to much in the scheme of things, but adding some chips they would otherwise not sell, recouping some money on them and getting sales by putting 'OMG PhysX!' on the side is a good business practice. People will buy anything if it has enough exclamation marks on it.

8. Yukikaze

Yukikaze

Thanks Received:
    "Good business practice" doesn't change the fact the card itself is silly and the fact that people will buy anything with enough exclamation marks on it doesn't mean it is a good product.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  9. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    The GTX480 is enough to run physx on its own. All that does is more heat and power draw.

10. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't it like go over the pci-e power standard? The 480 is already close to 300W on its own.

11. stupido

Thanks Received:
    that is very good remark.

imagine this card in a gaming/HTPC setup...

12. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    That would be totally sweet, but saddly I don't think it is possible with the way the display logic is integrated in to the GPU. It might have worked on the older GF200, with the seperate display logic chip though.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  13. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    What if they used an nvidia optimus type of solution? The pc still sees the two separate GPUs right? And each of them has its own powerer circuitry...

14. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Actually that might work, a Hybrid-SLi type of setup. Not sure if that would work or not, but I'm sure some smart engineer could figure something out.

15. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    wasn't there a benchmark with a GTX 470 and a physics gpu and it showed no difference. what woudl be the diff here with a GTX 480. pointless imo

16. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the gt240 gpu is just stuck on there now, it will sell, and its alright.'

GTX 480 is silly buff in physx so it wont even change performance value's with the extra gpu in there. Hopefully Something will happen

Im pist frankly. I wanted a 512core 480 that was a beast just so i can look up at buying a beast nvidia card in the future. Thats not going to happen right now at least. :mad:

17. Imsochobo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I live in Norway, in the province Buskerud.
    and like CPU can do this.
    Alltho nvidia doesnt like that :p

I used the hack once when you cudnt do nv for physx, but it was a total waste of powerconsumtion i think, i playd one game per year that would maybe look better with physx....
    Make it opencl based and then both cpu and gpu can do it, based on desire...

18. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    There is the option to have the CPU do PhysX in the PhysX control panel. With my X3220(Q9650)@3.6GHz, the framerates are terrible when doing it on the CPU. Now that is only using one core of the quad core processor, I feel that it probably would be able to handle it if the game developers went back and re-worked it to use the multi-threaded capabilities nVidia added to PhysX recently. However, while someone with a quad like me might be able to handle PhysX on the CPU, I still don't think a lot of the dual-core users would be able to handle PhysX on the CPU.

I really have to agree with you on PhysX not really being worth the power consumption of a second card. My HD4890+9600GT was only used for Batman, and after that I removed the 9600GT and it sits on my desk... If it wasn't for the fact that I keep the 9600GT as a back-up card(which is why I bought it, I would not have bought it for PhysX) I would get sell it.

19. swaaye

Thanks Received:
    Looks kinda like a Voodoo2. The only difference is that this can heat your home.

20. azzonie New Member

Thanks Received:
    What a waste.