1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game Recommendations - MMO.

Discussion in 'Games' started by kyle2020, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kyle2020 Guest

Hey guys. Recently I have retired from Runescape after many years of play, and am now on the look out for a new MMO to sink my teeth into. I tried WoW, however it failed to really grab my attention. Ive tried a few other games, however nothing seems to be 'right' if you know what I mean.

What does it need to be?

An MMO. I love the atmosphere of playing alongside / against other people, not scripted instances.

Please dont come in and start a flame war / be a pretentious fan boy arse face, or else your posts will get reported. I want decent, truthful recommendations from yourselves. It can be true to life, fantasy, whatever. F2P or P2P, im not fussed.
  2. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Just check mmorpg.com, personally I like to try betas. Usually I get sick of them really fast though.

I'm currently hoping STO turns out good.
  3. kyle2020 Guest

Wow, didnt know there was such a site - thanks dan.
  4. LiNKiN

LiNKiN Staff

Thanks Received:
    MMORPG is the best site regarding MMO games and whatnot imho. They are always giving beta keys away. I will on occasion visit onrpg.com.
  5. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    yeah. mmorpg.com is def a good resource.

To try some good MMO's they don't have to be mainstream ones.

The best FPS/MMO I played was Planetside. I think they are offering a free trial or something.

Eve Online is great for a space-simish type of MMO.

Everquest 2, and Vanguard Saga of Hero's is a little bit different.

Warhammer is definately good for some AWESOME PvP and Realm vs Realm action. Forget the traditional grind. Just jump into the fray of pvp at level 1 it's fun.

Shadow Bane is a free MMO now. It used to be pay but it lost a lot of interest and came out

Dark Ages of Camelot is a lot of fun with a group. Again main focus is Realm vs Realm. But it has a lot of class's/factions to choose from. Make sure you get in a populated server.

Most of these can get free trial's to try out for 10 or 15 Days. That's some main core/off core ones. Try some of those see how it floats your boat.

BETAS:

Huxley isn't a bad Beta right now..it's like a MMO of UT3.

AION has another Beta coming up this weekend. I bought it..have yet to get into a beta, but I hear it's fantastic as of late.

Champions has an online Beta right now through Fileplanet.

Fallen Earth is another PvE MMO thats suppose to be like a giant Fallout i guess..that is released in September as well.
  6. kyle2020 Guest

Can anyone share any insight into Everquest II?
  7. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    EQ2 is fun. It's more of a PvE type game. Not to much PvP if I recall. It looks great, plays fun..but i do find it boring at times. I would say try the trial version of it.

Combat is pretty cool, they have combo's and there are a TON of area's to explore lot's of skill set's to setup and a ton of class's. I only made it to level 10 before I really just stopped playing with lack of time and i just got bored.

IMO: Trial and error on these MMO's. I've liked nearly every MMO that I have played..but I have either been bored to death with them, or didn't have enough friends or community input to stick around.

Another thread we had: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=85859&highlight=Everquest 2
  8. Perra New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last I heard, shadowbane was shut down.

I used to play a lot of mmogs but I've lost interest in them, thinking about trying out Warhammer again though cause I really liked the pvp in that game, a lot of teamwork if you join a guild that knows how to rvr :)
    you should try it out if you like pvp, really don't know how the pve is though, not my cup of tea.

EVE is good too although it feels like a big spreadsheet at times :)
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Guild Wars

Everquest

Everquest II

Ragnarok Online

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Star Wars Galaxies

Star Trek Online

Myst Online: Uru Live

The Lord of the Rings Online

Lineage( I,II, III)

EVE Online

City of Heros

City of Villains

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach
  10. kyle2020 Guest

Currently dloading Warhammer online (10 day trial), however its 6GB so I can see this being an overnighter. Seems like a more grown up, less rainbow infested WoW, so we'll see how that goes.
  11. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I would like to reccomend you
    Atlantica Online (free) turn based strategy/MMOrpg was very addictive liked it very much.
    And Perfect World (free) Fantasy/mmorpg
  12. boomstik360

boomstik360

Thanks Received:
    I had warhammer for a bit but I got bored very quick.
  13. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I played in the beta of Aion, it's going to be a very popular game...though it reminds me a little of WoW so if you didn't care for that you may not be interested in it. Mortal Online coming out later this year looks fun too, it's a sandbox PvP game similar to a title called Darkfall. Darkfall is kind of fun but has (Or had) issues. I played right at the EU launch in February and it was cool but had problems. I think they just launched the NA server a week or two ago and from what I read on the forum they seem to have worked out most of the major issues.
  14. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    I got preoder on this game.played beta aswell
  15. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I really liked Vanguard Saga of Heroes (the way it was supposed to be anyways), but it was plagued with problems, glitches, connectivity issues and whatnot when it was released and months thereafter. An incredible disappointment for pay per month game and refunds should of been issued. I'm sure the game is pretty polished by now.
  16. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I can't say a ton, but Champions Online, go pre-order it from a Gamestop, if you do you get into beta (starts on August 17th). Game releases on the 1st, and is freaking awesome(Marneborn will tell you the samething and he hates MMO's, lol), wish I could say more.
  17. kyle2020 Guest

Ok so this champions online looks mighty promising, Ill have to look in to the beta.

*edit*

Right I think im going to pre order Champions, ive looked up the site and watched some videos / read some info and it seems a cracking game.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2009
  18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Its really a great game. I have played WoW, AoC, EQ, EQ II, Vanguard, LotRO, Eve, CoH/CoV and a few F2P MMO's. This sounds like CoH/CoV, but is just far more polished and action oriented, you can run and gun very easily, or fly and gun (ws very fun) The class structure is very cool, as you can mix and match, or stick to what they recommend. And each of the classes is pretty different even though there is I think 12 of them. It's very easy to make a very cool looking character, and the travel ability's are flat out cool. It really feels like you are a comic book character, once you pass the intro zone you get your travel ability and your first shot at new attacks and then it just becomes a blast.

I gotta pick up my Open Beta key, once Open Beta starts I'll toss up some really sweet images that me and Marine took.
  19. Mike0409

Mike0409

Thanks Received:
    Join the server Badlands, and order. I'll help you out best I can on it. In a guild with 300+ members that are mostly active.
  20. Deusxmachina

Deusxmachina New Member

Thanks Received:
    There's plenty of nice ones out there.

Played the Warhammer beta. Pretty decent, but I had the feeling I played the game before (most other mmos).

EQ2, I know I *should* really like it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why it was ho-hum. And then I read a comment about it say, "EQ2 puts so much effort into not doing anything wrong that it often fails to do anything right." It's a well-put-together game, but it's just... meh. (to me.) It has pretty much everything a fantasy mmo could want, but it just wasn't that exciting or fun (to me).

Doesn't help that the world itself looks bland. I mean, say what you want about WoW with its low-end graphics and all that, but the world is generally at least interesting to look at.

Lord of the Rings sort of feels like a polished WoW in Middle-Earth with sharper graphics. Questing is encouraged more than grinding, and that's always a plus in my book. Very polished game, lots of LOTR lore in it.

Vanguard. XP death penalty aside, (lame. I don't want to be "hardcore" in a game), it feels like a cross between the "fun" world of WoW with a bit more seriousness of EQ2. The classes are interesting, and the world is Huge, (check the screenshot thread for a few recent pics). It's hard to explain these things sometimes... it just has that certain "it" to it that I like more than some other games' "its".

Check this guy's Vanguard videos. Here's the dungeon one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x4au-ih5G4

City of Heroes. Looks boring, but then people start slinging powers around, and the game changes. I would have played it for a week just to run around using the Travel Powers. The quests used to be almost literally "all the same," but I read recently there a some really good player-created quests, so maybe they'll help keep interest.

Dungeons and Dragons Online goes free-to-play in September. Combat feels more like a fast-paced third-person shooter game than a typical mmo. If someone is shooting arrows at your buddy, you can stand in front of him to block them. Want a "non-WoW-clone" game that's geared for PVE and grouping? There you go. And DDO has the best dungeons in the business. It'll be free next month, so whether you like it or not, the price is right. Love DDO. Very underrated, imo.

Here's a good vid of how "alive" DDO feels compared to most mmos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteW9RwD90U

Eve Online. Seems like an mmo you play while you're busy doing other things at the computer. :confused:

Arciks mentioned two of the three best, currently-free ones that usually make that list. With the third being Rune of Magic. Wizards 101 seems to be high on people's fun lists, too, and is something different.

A great thing about these is you could play the trials of all of these, and your gaming would be taken care of for months.
  21. kyle2020 Guest

Thank you Deus, DDo looks very good, and going back to Arcicks list, Atlantica online looks quite tidy too. Warhammer is patching now but Im always willing to download trials / beta's / F2P games, so keep the recommendations coming :toast:
  22. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Hopefully your WAR patch doesn't error out. I patched mine almost all the way and it got some error at the end. I sent their tech support an email, and they never got back to me, I was hoping they would within the 10 day period, but it's now been a month and a half and they haven't responded :( I was hoping to try it out myself.

Also matters what your looking for, like Eve Online, I couldnt find much info on it, so I gave it a shot, then got in game and wondered how I got out of my ship, lol. I'm not much into flight games, so just wasn't for me.

Atlantica I believe is a turn based game. Also if your looking for good trials, anyone who is into MMO's should try out AoC. The graphics are better than most SP games, the classes are different than anything else out there, and the combat system is a lot of fun.