1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game stutters at start

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by d1nky, Jan 30, 2013.

1. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    Ive just bought a asus hd7770 2gig oc version! but when a game starts it stutters then takes several seconds to smooth out!? :confused:

cpu fx4100 12 gig ram, all stock frequencies etc. all latest drivers. win8
  2. jboydgolfer

jboydgolfer

Thanks Received:
    I'd try a roll back of driver's. maybe a Down clock as well. I googled the issue, and saw a couple other posts with the same issue on other tech sites.
  3. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    new install with fresh drivers... and I haven't touched the clocks its standard but the oc version! should I do all that anyway? and thanks, I was thinking it was worse lol
  4. tokyoduong

Thanks Received:
    Could be your HD being slow or could be your CPU/RAM. Getting a new graphics card and cranking up the settings may reveal other bottlenecks your system have.

yes you should try to downclock the card. Sometimes manufacturers send out OC without knowing if all of them works. They do it by batch and I think the industry standard for 3% failure is acceptable. Downclock and if it smooths out then it is gpu not being able to handle the OC.

and list your system specs.
  5. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    fx4100
    m5a78lmusb3
    12gb amd Kingston ddr3 133mhz
    ocz 120 ssd
    700cit psu

ive tried old drivers, underclocking and nothing. so I thought id try clocking cpu up to see if its a bottleneck and it just sped the stutter up lol. also tried a small oc on the vga and it kind of helped a tiny bit. I just done some research and its termed 'microstutter' lol, I also noticed my fps is the same as when I had the gts450 just more smoother?! MOH multiplayer 40-50fps surely that cant be right?
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    So when you do things that draw more power (clocking your CPU) the stutter increases? Try to find a different PSU to use.
  7. d1nky

d1nky

Thanks Received:
    the period of time the stutter happens in about two seconds, just a freeze or two on frames! but when I added more frequency to the vga it shortened the duration of the stutter, it was over more quickly. I just read on amd forum it could be their ccc with tessellation, so ill give that a try. edit: tesselation settings didnt work. + when im playing it feels smooth, high quality just the first initial loading stage feels like a memory issue.?? p.s i havent got a better or larger psu at hand, only a 450 lying about.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013