1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game suggestion - for 15 y/o boy's birthday?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Black Panther, May 19, 2009.

1. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    out of line with the future?

in which way do you mean this?

2. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    lol thats funny with the most resent major patch I was so disappointed that I stop playing

3. Corrosion

Corrosion New Member

Thanks Received:
    Day of defeat source maybe? wide variety of classes, short respawn so he wont get impatient, and nothing he wont understand about the game.

4. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Team Fortress 2.:)

5. Jakl

Jakl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kids staying at home or at Internet Cafe's playing that stupid game? Or even playing the game and you have other better things to do... This game can corrupt people and their mind, and its hard to take it away from them. They are too dedicated to the game and not realizing that its just a fantasy game, and your life is more important to keep in track/aligned and do your normal daily routine or how ever you go about full filling your day

I have used to be one of those kids, mind I am only 20, its been 2 years since last I touched the game, and wasted another 2 years on this stupid game which I could have been better in school, person life, or anything in that matter...

6. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Warcraft only ruins peoples lives that would've been otherwise ruined by other trivial things that only idiots get addicted to. I tried WoW when I was 15, played it for a few months but it gets incredibly boring.

7. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Okay lets forget WoW I was only throwing it out there because no-one else did. Anyway why not get him Far Cry 2 he might like that, Bioshock as well and to top it off why not see if he likes racing games like GRID but that might be risky for a present.

8. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll say the same thing about that as I say about drugs: it's not the drugs, it's the individual. I mean I have read stories of people saying how sad it was their friends' lives got ruined by MARIJUANA. YEAH.RIGHT. Some loser pothead was always a loser pothead, even before he smoked pot. Just like some loser WoW player who never leaves the house was always that way, the game (drug) addiction is just a part (result?) of that personality.

9. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Cod5, got the game sitting around somewhere never played it got it free with a video card, in fact I could send it to you.

10. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    jump on his offer :)

11. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    lol i smoke pot all the time, but like myself and PLENTY others it doesn't ruin my life. I do ok in school(a's, b's, c's), but i know a lot of girls and a few guys that you would be like DAM BURNT OUT MOFO'S!!! but they make almost strait A's. it's just the individual as you stated if you can't control yourself from something and realize what's important and have the drive to do what you need to to progress in life then yea lol your a loser then.\

game wise, i have FC2 and i can play it, but it started to feel more like a job to play it than just out of enjoyment. I'd say TF2 but there are annoying respawn times on a lot of servers eve i get annoyed. Just to throw it out there does he like RTS's? it's old but the best RTS and unlike any other, STARCRAFT NUKKA love this game and am so siked for SC2. also does he have Unreal Tournament 3? it's a very fun fast paced FPS. I thk he would enjoy that.

12. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    Company of Heroes :D

13. Nick89

Nick89

Thanks Received:
    I would recomend COD4 maby L4D

14. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's what I thought...

I've been wracking my brain for about five minutes and I always come back to Dues Ex (rated Mature). I would say Mass Effect and The Witcher but both of those have sexual themes. Dues Ex still has some...suggestive...themes (Illuminati, NWO, things of the sort) but it is an FPS, it is pretty extensive, pretty much any modern computer can run it maxed, and it is pretty long. It even has RPG elements.

There's really no good FPS games rated Teen. But, Crysis is rated M as well so... Dues Ex and Dues Ex: Invisible War? If he's ready for a tiny bit of sexual stuff, bump him up to Mass Effect.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. tzitzibp

tzitzibp New Member

Thanks Received:

+1
    Great game and he should probably love it!

16. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    fixed :D

17. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    orange box is a good suggestion. its cheap, it has SP and MP games.

Throw L4D on top and he'll be busy for months.

18. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    And it has Team Fortress two, as well as the mighty Half life 2 series. Not to mention Portal.

It's a good deal now, and yea, chuck in L4D and it's happy days.

19. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought Orange Box and I played it for a total of about 2 weeks til COD4 came out. Ditched the OB, been playing COD4 almost daily and still going strong. I have a bit of ADHD too...

20. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    Quake 3, sounds like he can be a tank at it.

21. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Are you kidding? Give an average 15yo Quake 3 and he will think it's a gag gift.

Crunching for Team TPU
  22. olithereal

olithereal New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 for the orange box. He'll have lots of fun with the mighty Half Life 2 and all the EP and TF2 for multiplayer. Portal is a nice addition too.

23. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Until someone like me comes along and schools him six ways from Sunday in it. Quake 3 is simple but takes a LOT of technique to be good at.

24. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm with FordGT on this, he does great at shooters but does not have the patience for RPGs yet loves them?
    I'm confused.
    RPGs are usually a lot of reading and stat and inventory manipulation (which seem to bore him).
    Get him a copy of Painkiller and let him blast baddies to his hearts content.

25. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

So what you're essentially saying is, that all people who fall victim to addictions, are natural born losers?

Well I guess you would qualify then, for how often you use your computer; and pretty much anyone else here at TPU or on the internet.

That's a really shallow attitude, and a completly foolish retort to Jakl's comment, just for the sake of wanting to have the last word.

The guy speaks from experience, and tells it how it is.
    Maybe if we had more people with that courage, our kids wouldn't be turning into complete wastes of oxygen.

I, for once agree with Wiz, about Remnant. It should give him some solo action RPG oriented gameplay. There's also Dark Sector?

But if he's going online, hit him up with Demi God or Crysis Wars.