1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gameplay recording software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by mafia97, Feb 5, 2012.

1. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    hi all need a gameplay recording software,so that i can upload my vids to youtube channel.
    i tried fraps,but size for a 4 min video is 3.5gb.then i tried to convert it with Windows movie maker,but i got only audio no video.
    so i need a recorder,with great recording quality but low size of the files formed.
    plus if it has features of windows movie maker
    than that would be awesome.
    thanks in advance guys.
  2. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I'm pretty sure that your problems aren't failures with FRAPs, but with Windows Movie Maker.
  3. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    yup FRAPS works fine,but creates huge files,i need smaller files,and a video cutting tool
  4. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    try this --> http://handbrake.fr/

it will convert those massive files made by fraps into ordinary sized MP4s
  5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You are going to have to make a trade-off, either lower quality videos or smaller file size. If you are recording the game at 1080p or something similar, the files will be huge. There should be options in FRAPs to adjust quality to give smaller file sizes.

However, the issue is likely more to do with Movie Maker not properly supporting the video codec FRAPs uses, as I've fed 10GB+ videos through Movie Maker and not had any issues.

I prefer to use MSI Afterburner for recording as it gives more control over the quality and file size balance than FRAPs does.
    mafia97 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    so is there a solution to moive maker only giving audio n no video in output.
    BTW movie maker does show its text slides which i created to b displayed at the start of the video.
    msi afterburner does videos too???never knew that
    thanks
  7. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    recording games...

i would suggest the happauge hd1212 ( or the current hd-pvr) because it is around 200 dollars, and it encodes on the fly, max13.5 Mb's, and records via usb, which takest the load off of the cpu and hd (fraps is killer if you record at full res) and it saves on file sizes. (prob is that while it can record avc, editting that is a pain, and converting it) so recording in mp4 is a good idea.

also happauge has HDMI recorder card, but i have not used it thus, with the same functions as the hd1212, but don't know if gaming output is hdcp protected(blu-ray and the like is).

of course this an extra box, and you need other stuff, editting and all that but, it is the best solution.

otherwise, using FRAPS(paid version) to capture games, is the cheapest solution... except for the fact that you will need massive and fast HDD's. But FRAPS is good becuase whole the file sizes or HUGE, their not compressed so they are easy to work with, and compress.
  8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Then it is encoding the video, it just can't convert the FRAPs video to whatever format you are trying to output.

I'd use MSI Afterburner, using the MJPEG codec, which is universal and allows more fine tuned quality settings.

After reading the FRAPs FAQ, it turns out it uses its own custom codec called FP1. Something is obviously going wrong with Movie Maker using the codec. There seems to be a lot of people having issues with FRAPs videos in Movie Maker. It is basically a well known issue with FRAPs and Movie Maker.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. camoxiong

camoxiong

Thanks Received:
    Like everybody said, FRAPS
  10. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    When i use my webcam to film me playing a song.. it can get pretty large.. Just did a test with my webcam.. let it capture for 180 seconds at 26.422 M/s for a file size of 4.24 GB.. Just ran my favorite conversion program AVS Video converter and converted it to the same file type using MPEG-4 @ 1500 kpbs and mp-3 @192 kpbs..Took right at 2 min 15 sec to finish.... File size was 36.6Meg.. Took me a few tries to get the math right.. a tad rusty.. The program makes the file 99.14 % smaller.. :twitch:
    i.e. ((4.24^9 - 36.6^6)/4.24^9))*100:respect:

I'm sure most software that is designed to convert files will have similar results.. The AVS software kicks ass though:rockout:
  11. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    I use all of the AVS suites, as well, and they work great. That was my point, exactly. There is nothing wrong with FRAPs, but a ton wrong with Windows Movie Maker. Also, Afterburner doesn't record the sound, just the video.
  12. TissueBox

Thanks Received:
    Give Bandicam a try - it seems to be a lot lighter than FRAPS on resources and the size of the videos are much smaller as well.
  13. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    i m trying xilisoft video convertor.
    as it provides some functions that i want.
    but it stops converting video at 14.1%
  14. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    downloaded Bandicam.. I really like all the options you are given.. Hmm.. Gunna give it a quick test and see what happens
  15. Brandenburg

Brandenburg New Member

Thanks Received:
    well ran a test in my favorite online game Alien vs Predator 2..

I set my video for half size @ 30fps.. Full size caused noticeable lag in the game for me.. A 4:21 film weighs in at 127 Meg... After I reduce its file size with AVS.. AVI/MP4 =53Meg.. Still experimenting with different setting to get the best possible result
  16. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    Fraps with WINAVI then Windows Movie maker for editing = WIN.

I took a 1.6GB file down to 60MB with minimum quality loss then cut it up with Windows Movie maker.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    fraps + win avi worked great
    but WMM still doesnt show videos
    any other video editor tool which can combine two videos,trim video,add title slide to video(like in WMM),add watermark,without increasing size
  18. mafia97

mafia97

Thanks Received:
    using virtualdub
    works perfectly