1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gamers Unlock Protein Mystery That Baffled AIDS Researchers For Years

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by micropage7, Sep 20, 2011.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    In just three weeks, gamers deciphered the structure of a key protein in the development of AIDS that has stumped scientists for years. According to a study published Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, the findings could present a significant breakthrough for AIDS and HIV research.

Using an online game called Foldit, players were able to predict the structure of a protein called retroviral protease, an enzyme that plays a critical role in the way HIV multiplies. Unlocking the build of the protein could theoretically aid scientists in developing drugs that would stop protease from spreading.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1TC7Yh/www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393200,00.asp
  2. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    Waaai....What?
    So, some person got lucky creating a predicted outcome structure or..? In either case, I'm grateful :roll:
  3. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    Its not a game, isn't it like folding@home? Cluster computing?
  4. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, as I understand it, it's a basic game which basically runs FAH or similar distributed computing system in the background while it's being played.

Or not...

So it's basically human-powered FAH I guess. The Computer handles the math and molecular dynamics rules, and the player tries to assemble the protein under those rules. Like a puzzle game. Cool.
  5. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    That would explain it:) Most definately going to start crunching for TPU as soon as I build my new rig...not to fun on a netbook:laugh:
  6. twilyth Guest

7. m4gicfour

m4gicfour

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I remember that thread! I also remember being about 2/3 the way to having it downloaded and installed and got distracted by something shiny (probably). Damn ADHD
  8. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    interesting that they finally got results