1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

"Games for Windows" branding on old optical disk games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vario, May 4, 2014.

1. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Looking at picking up some older games from eBay / Amazon as they can be much cheaper than steam and sometimes I like to have the physical copy, but some of these come with "Games for Windows" branding on the box. With Games for Windows Live ending, will these games still be useable for single player or are the saves and cd key activation cloud based?

2. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    They should still activate but the store/DLC/etc. is all unavailable. Some games, like DIRT3, are supposed to be getting a non-GFWL release. Mind listing the games?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R and various expansions
    Fallout New Vegas

Can't remember the other ones I looked at last night

4. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl on Steam does not use GFWL.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Clear Sky on Steam does not use GFWL.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat on Steam does not use GFWL.
    Fallout: New Vegas on Steam does not use GFWL.

I recommend waiting for a sale (one should be coming in the next few months). I don't have the price I paid on FNV but I got all three STALKER games for $11.19 on 7/18/12.

Edit: GFWL saves are not cloud-based. The only thing that is cloud-based is the account itself which still works. The saves are connected to your cloud account. Since you only listed single player games, it should be possible to play them all offline. If necessary, GFWL allows you to create an offline profile so it should be possible to use the games without an online profile at all (I wouldn't recommend that though).

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    Vario says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  5. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    you can often work around the GFWL, but its more or less the same thing as pirating the game. fallout 3 wont work on windows 8 without installing GFWL, or a tool that disables the need for it.

INSTG8R and Vario say thanks.
  6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I recently reinstalled GTA IV and EFLC and had to do a little bit of hoop jumping to get my EFLC activated again but it did catch eventually.Thanks Mussels I should get my Fallout 3 and DiRTs back in now that you reminded me. I had to format a few weeks back so I have basically nothing installed and don't want to get caught out in DiRT 3 for sure as I bought all the DLC thru GFWL and wouldn't want to lose them they are my favourite bits.

Vario says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    If you already own the DLC, it should still be available. You can't buy anymore DLC though because the store is shut down.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Cool, I was looking at buying used ebay dvd/cardboard box versions because I have waited for a sale for a few months without anything and I try to spread my games among drm distribution clients (steam, origin, etc) in case one of them dies, to diversify the risk a bit. I don't mind having to swap disks for install, its not that big a deal lol. I just image it if its too monotonous. I guess in a month we will probably have a big steam summer sale, maybe I'll wait till then.

Its also nice being able to install on the multiple computers I own instead of having to deal with steam's single computer policy.

9. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Yeah they actually gave me some money back(In British Pounds, because I created a UK account way back when) Useless to me to use but HEY MS GIVES ME £££!!!111

10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Steam is tied to the account, not the computer. You can play the game on whatever account you are currently logged in to. The only caveat is that you can only be logged into one computer at a time.

INSTG8R says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well Fair warned I can't activate DiRT 3 it tries to close the game and go to MS site which is a dead end...

12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    INSTG8R says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I have so I can get all the DLC I have for DiRT3. I also had to do it to get my EFLC going.

EDIT: I just tried it again and is worked properly this time. Crisis averted. Now if only I knew why my Fallout3 on Steam is asking for a CD-Key I don't have...

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Right click on the game in the Steam library and select "View CD Key." It should have all the keys you need.

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Of course that is the first place I checked ;) There is no option in my Fallout 3

16. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    whenever i've tried it on other computers I have had to sign into my email and then enter a confirmation code from that email. Now I just run two steam accounts and split games from tv+ controller to kb+mouse categories.

17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Then you need to talk to Valve about that.

That's a security feature. If the system is not recognized, it wants email authentication. If someone gets a hold of your Steam credentials but not your email credentials, you can cut them off before they start buying games with your stored credit card info. As far as I know, there is no limit on how many devices you can authorize.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    That's for YOUR protection so if someone else tries to log into your account.

19. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    Im not complaining, I am stating a fact. Thats why I have two accounts. I am justifying why I like to buy physical copies of the games.