• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games freeze up every 4-5 seconds

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Motherboard AsRock B650 HDVM.2
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Memory 32GB Gskill Flare X5
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 TI
Storage Samsung 9series NVM 2TB and Rust
Display(s) Predator X34P/Tempest X270OC @ 120hz / LG W3000h
Case Fractal Define S [Antec Skeleton hanging in hall of fame]
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense with AKG K612 cans on Monacor SA-100
Power Supply Seasonic X-850
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXIV ARR Benchmark 12,883 on i7 2600k 15,098 on AM5 7600x
Err, how long it takes to clear the page at shutdown varies, but a good twenty seconds or abouts. I meant your programs will start a bit slower the first time you use them AFTER clearing the page file, as it's remounting data.

For the ultimate defrag, you have to use file/folder feature, and make sure to move your files around. Without someone guiding you, it's a bit yuck at first.

But at least you got a defrag out of it :)

I'll take some time out later to try another solution for you.

RTW

Oh ok.

Yeah for the Ultimate Defrag I went with auto and set the ratio to 20/80, which seemed to be what the manual suggested. I'll try a file/folder later.

Alright, thanks, I'll take any more solutions you can think of.

Oh, when you were talking about Hijack... did you mean Hijack This?
Did you want a HJT Log?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Cooling CPU : Corsair Hydro XC7 }{ GPU: EK FC 1080 via Magicool 360 III PRO > Photon 170 (D5)
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hold off on the ultimate defrag. Send me a PM and we can synch up on a messenger so I can walk you through it.

Yes, Hijack this. I wanted to see if anything was running at startup. Also the processes was the basic process list in your taskmanager.

That's the first step. I would imagine you can see anything suspicious, but you never know.

Also please do an advanced search on your C: for "ddaby.dll" and "vuttu" with no extension, anything as "vuttu" make note.

Sound acceleration in these games? Or Hardware sound are you using it? Try to trim that down or goto software as a test.
I know that you upgraded your video drivers, but then rolled them back. In upgrading them, it may have cause conflict with sound(not that it should.) Each time I upgrade vid drivers, I slap on DirectX each time, just to make sure there's no driver or .dll conflicts.

By this time I imagine you've wiped all drivers, mobo, dx, gpu, sound and tried again?

Last edited:
Reactions: RTW

RTW

Hold off on the ultimate defrag. Send me a PM and we can synch up on a messenger so I can walk you through it.

Yes, Hijack this. I wanted to see if anything was running at startup. Also the processes was the basic process list in your taskmanager.

That's the first step. I would imagine you can see anything suspicious, but you never know.

Also please do an advanced search on your C: for "ddaby.dll" and "vuttu" with no extension, anything as "vuttu" make note.

Sound acceleration in these games? Or Hardware sound are you using it? Try to trim that down or goto software as a test.
I know that you upgraded your video drivers, but then rolled them back. In upgrading them, it may have cause conflict with sound(not that it should.) Each time I upgrade vid drivers, I slap on DirectX each time, just to make sure there's no driver or .dll conflicts.

By this time I imagine you've wiped all drivers, mobo, dx, gpu, sound and tried again?

I would presume that this is the HJT log.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
Scan saved at 1:52:52 PM, on 7/18/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
F:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
F:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
F:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
F:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
F:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
F:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
F:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
F:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
F:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
F:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
F:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
F:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
F:\WINDOWS\CTHELPER.EXE
F:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
F:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1145602864\ee\AOLSoftware.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
F:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\RemoteControl\RCMan.EXE
F:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
F:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
F:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
F:\Documents and Settings\Leif\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "F:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] F:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] F:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTSysVol] F:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTDVDDET] F:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy2ZS\DVDAudio\CTDVDDet.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBDrvDet] F:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdReg] F:\WINDOWS\UpdReg.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MaxtorOneTouch] F:\PROGRA~1\Maxtor\OneTouch\Utils\OneTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MXO Auto Loader] F:\WINDOWS\MXOALDR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] F:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] F:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [amd_dc_opt] F:\Program Files\AMD\Dual-Core Optimizer\amd_dc_opt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTHelper] CTHELPER.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTxfiHlp] CTXFIHLP.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] F:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Enterprise
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] F:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [RemoteCenter] F:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\RemoteControl\RCMan.EXE
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\RunOnce: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDEF.EXE /s:'Creative SoundFont Synthesizer' /w:'SB Audigy' (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\RunOnce: [SetDefaultMIDI] MIDIDEF.EXE /s:'Creative SoundFont Synthesizer' /w:'SB Audigy' (User 'Default user')
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_01\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - F:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0A5FD7C5-A45C-49FC-ADB5-9952547D5715} (Creative Software AutoUpdate) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTSUEng.cab
O16 - DPF: {CD995117-98E5-4169-9920-6C12D4C0B548} (HGPlugin9USA Class) - http://gamedownload.ijjimax.com/gamedownload/dist/hgstart/HGPlugin9USA.cab
O16 - DPF: {F6ACF75C-C32C-447B-9BEF-46B766368D29} (Creative Software AutoUpdate Support Package) - http://www.creative.com/su/ocx/15030/CTPID.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: awtrool - F:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: winjyg32 - F:\WINDOWS\
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - F:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - F:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe LM Service - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe Systems Shared\Service\Adobelmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - F:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - F:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - F:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus Definition Watcher (DefWatch) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - F:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - F:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: SAVRoam (SavRoam) - symantec - F:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec AntiVirus - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: WMDM PMSP Service - Unknown owner - F:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 8139 bytes

I did the advanced search for the "ddaby.dll" and "vuttu", and nothing was found.

I just use the Hardware sound from my Soundblaster. I updated both my HD Realtek sound which is on the motherboard and my Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS.

What do you mean by "slap on", as in reinstalling DirectX? or just running a dxdiag?

How do you mean by wiping them? Just rolling them back?.... Or something else?

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
Err you're running on board and PCI slot sound? Ack. I was referring to hardware acceleration and EAX style sound options in games. While you may have used them in the past without problems, a driver change even if not related to your sound might have been a culprit. So using non hardware acceleration might be something to try.

Slap on meant ya, reinstall the DX.

Wiping them : Not roll back, but uninstalling, so you have no drivers, then reapplying them in order.

Holy hell I'm always amazed at how much stuff is running on people's comps.

My active Hijack :>

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 8:25:06 PM, on 7/18/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Pkgs\Security\BlackIce\blackice.exe
C:\Pkgs\Security\BlackIce\blackd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\Pkgs\Security\BlackIce\rapapp.exe
C:\Pkgs\Internet\Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Pkgs\Security\Hijack\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
O23 - Service: BlackICE - Internet Security Systems, Inc. - C:\Pkgs\Security\BlackIce\blackd.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: RapApp - Internet Security Systems, Inc. - C:\Pkgs\Security\BlackIce\rapapp.exe

Last edited:

RTW

Err you're running on board and PCI slot sound? Ack. I was referring to hardware acceleration and EAX style sound options in games. While you may have used them in the past without problems, a driver change even if not related to your sound might have been a culprit. So using non hardware acceleration might be something to try.

Slap on meant ya, reinstall the DX.

Wiping them : Not roll back, but uninstalling, so you have no drivers, then reapplying them in order.

Yeah, I don't use hardware acceleration and EAX style sound as far as I know. (95% sure)

Btw, how do YOU usally reinstall DX, cause i've tried it in the past, and you usually can't unistall it... Do you just go to the website and download the client then just install it? Which would override the older DX?
I did it a long time ago, and I just downloaded the client and installed. Is there a better way than that?

EDIT: Ok, So my sound was accelerated, but I turned it off, and nothing.

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
There isn't full support for removal of DX like you can with other drivers. I imagine it would cause more havoc than it's worth. I think I tend to clump mobo/dx/video/sound drivers as one thing you do altogether. After that, any time you update one of the three :dx/video/sound, you should update the other two as well.

I have a habit of forgetting you don't actually uninstall DX, though technically you could..

The latest copy is June I believe, and you just extract the .cab files to a temp directory then run the setup/install program. It's fairly straightforward, then you reboot. Then you can apply video/sound.

Ok so it's not hardware acceleration. Damn.

How are we looking on the virii front? I'm going over your process log, but some of the stuff is alien to me, I don't know what it is. I'll leave it to you to use NOD32 or something similar and check for any threats.

RTW

Yeah, I just got the June copy of DX.... (though, all they have is dxwebsetup.exe) So I wouldn't know how to extract the .cab files from that.

As for viruses, I should be good. I've gone over my process log and other previous logs from other programs, and nothing ever seemed out of place and if it was an odd file I would just google it up to see, but nothing.

I've ran CCleaner, Spybot, Ad-aware, and about 3-4 others, only small malware crap every once in a while. So, I seem to be without any bugs... seems this is more of a software/hardware issue. I'm starting to think a driver/software problem.... It doesn't seem like my gpu or sound cards went kaput, I can't really say for sure though. (I hope it's not broken hardware.... but it was too coincidental that problem started when Drivers were updated, even though rollingback didn't fix it.)

RTW

I've recently run memtest and a few other things.
This is the weirdest problem I have ever had with a computer.

TheMishKin

Having Same Problem

Exact same problem here. Had it once before & managed to fix it, but can't for the life of me recall what I did, I think it may have been a virus. I've scanned with everything, new drivers etc... and still the same thing.

If you find a solution let me know cause i'm stumped as well.

RTW

Exact same problem here. Had it once before & managed to fix it, but can't for the life of me recall what I did, I think it may have been a virus. I've scanned with everything, new drivers etc... and still the same thing.

If you find a solution let me know cause i'm stumped as well.

My problem isn't a virus, because I just completely reformatted my drive, and I still get the same problem.

Namslas90

Killing Ati HotKey Poller in MS config, might help. Also most mobo's need to have "onboard sound" disabled in BIOS when a soundcard is installed(Creative\SBAudigy2ZS). The only other thing I can see is the NORTON(Symantec) processes that are runing. That has always caused me problems while gaming online.

Try shuting down Norton and go back on WOW(for a few minutes) and see if that solves the problem. If it does than get a better AV/SPYWARE program like AVG or NOD32.

A note on Crossfire; DID you clean ATI drivers before adding 2nd card? If you go to the ATI website and check the instructions for Crossfire it says the best way to start Crossfire is to;

Remove and clean ATI Drivers.
Install Both cards (connectors if required)
Download drivers from ati site(you will notice it will do a "Auto-check").
Reboot.

If you have had several diff ATI drivers installed and never cleaned properly, you may be better off defraging your HDD before installing new drivers.(it will remove all old ATI fragments and "refference points "- from previouse instalations).

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Try reinstalling Directx9c and if you disable the hotkeypoller you will not be able to overclock your crossfire config via the CCC and I have yet to find an app that will allowe a holding overclock on the slave card besides the CCC.

Namslas90

Try reinstalling Directx9c and if you disable the hotkeypoller you will not be able to overclock your crossfire config via the CCC and I have yet to find an app that will allowe a holding overclock on the slave card besides the CCC.

I thought I saw an old thread about using ATI TOOL on both cards in crossfire??!!

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I thought I saw an old thread about using ATI TOOL on both cards in crossfire??!!

Dear fellow plz find as I have tried all things to get away from the CCC to no avail. I think people are mistaken as the master will hold clocks but the slave will not hold clocks and I have tested on all versions of atitool and ccc's.

Namslas90

Dear fellow plz find as I have tried all things to get away from the CCC to no avail. I think people are mistaken as the master will hold clocks but the slave will not hold clocks and I have tested on all versions of atitool and ccc's.

Thanks for the clarification. :toast:

System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
To save you all the efforts, though appreciated...

He's reformatted and it's still happening. So we're going back over hardware configuration possibilities atm.

No crossfire is being used, nor onboard sound.

Reactions: RTW

TheMishKin

Fixed Mine

RTW, got mine working again, without doing a format & reinstall, not 100% exactly sure what worked, but here's some of the things i did.

Did all the new drivers thing, then something about v-sync crossed my mind, so went into my Catalyst control panel & made sure that v-sync was off. then ran a program called Everest from Lavalys www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html it's free, gives info doesn't fix anything, noticed when i ran the report that at the end it said that my video card was not powered, so i undid & redid the connections and boom, it worked, hmmm. So not sure if it was the v-sync or the lack of power to the card, but it's working fine now.

Hope this helps in some way. If you discover it's some other problem and find a solution, please post it as i'm sure it would help a lot of people.

Weird to think it was a power connection, since the new 3d cards do have a seperate power cable aside from the agp bus, maybe it makes some sense that 2d stuff would work, but 3d would require more power but wasn't getting it. Who knows.

Ciao

RTW

Yeah, i've ran it a lot with newconroer. Can't really break it down properly, but I will try what MishKin did.
If that doesn't work needing either 1) New graphics card or 2) New power supply.

I've done some research for those... I've come up with X1950XT, and either SILVERSTONE ST75F ATX12V / EPS12V 750W or OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W.

wzhu85

Hi guys, I seem to be having nearly identical problems as RTW so I thought I'd share some of my experiences with it and hopefully it'll help us solve this thing together.

This happened quite a while ago and I've been trying to figure out what's been causing it. Pretty much any 3d intensive game I play (WoW, Titan Quest, World in Conflict Beta), I will get 4-5 second freezes at completely random intervals and completely random frequency. Sometimes I can play titan quest for 30 minutes and it'll freeze twice, sometimes, it will freeze once every 2 minutes or so. I have noticed however that the more stress I put on the graphics, such as running World of Conflict beta, the more frequent the freezes become (once every minute or so). I have also noticed a good amount of artifacting while playing all my games.

Here is my spec (a bit general because I'm not at my computer)

Pentium 4 3.2ghz
Asus P5LD2 motherboard
2gb Kingston DDR2 PC4200 Value Select Ram
Silverstone 500W power supply (18A each on 2 12V rails)
EVGA 7800 GT CO graphics card
Seagate 7200.10 320gb Sata HD
Seagate 7200.10 500gb Sata HD
Maxtor 7200 300gb Sata HD

At first I thought it was cpu overheating, so I bought a Zalman9500 cpu cooler and installed that. My idle cpu temps are around 40C now and 55C at load and the freezes still occur. Next, I thought it was a video card problem, so I borrowed my roomate's EVGA 8800gts 320mb graphics card to try, and the freezes still occur. Then I suspected the ram, so I ran memtest, and it found no problems, but I borrowed some ram and replaced it to be sure, and freezes still occur. I then suspected a software problem, so I reformatted my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of WinXP on a brand new hard drive. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers and direct x and the freezes still occur. This should rule out any software / driver / virus problems I'd assume.

I am now running out of ideas and parts to replace. The only things that are left that I can think of is either a defective power supply, defective motherboard, or defective cpu. Is there anyway to tell if my power supply is providing enough amps to my video card to eliminate that from the list? It seems like one of the other posters that fixed this problem had a power related problem, so I am highly suspecting that our video cards are not receiving enough power.

Also, can a defective motherboard be a possible culprit given the symptoms. Another clue is when World in Conflict beta crashes, it seems to minimize the game and my HD Realtek audio program opens up and seems to think I plugged something into the audio jacks. Maybe it's an onboard sound problem. I hope someone here can help us out, not really looking forward to trying a new motherboard. Thanks for the help.

edit: I also realized that we both have Asus motherboards, thus we should both have Realtek onboard sound. May also be a clue pointing towards the motherboard. I really hope it isn't though, since it's the worst possible thing that can break on you. Getting a new motherboard is practically like building a new computer = / .

Last edited:
System Name Widow
Processor Ryzen 7600x
Mouse Razer Naga 2014
Software Windows 11 Pro
BUMP:

Someone please address wzhsu85's Realtek point and question about monitoring 12v amperage, I'm about to pass out.

RTW SILVERSTONE FTW! That's a beefy PSU mate!

TheMishKin

could be a power problem, that wouldn't surprise me at all. sound? possibly, i have a soundblaster live value, so don't think it's the onboard sound. it's a weird problem, like i said, mine is working again, had the same problem once before, i'm thinking it's video related, either power or settings somehow, v-sync could be the culprit or lack of power forcing the card to hit the hard drive cache, not really sure. not lots of info out there on this one, have searched & searched, would be nice if we or someone could really lock this down, cause it's a bitch when it happens, takes a lot of fiddling to get it running again, but i'm leaning to power problem, but again, not positive on that one.

TheMishKin

wzhu85, could also just be a bad cable, not necesarily the mother board itself, when i fixed my problem, i removed one of the split cables & shortened the route to the video card, so coulda just been a bad wire, wouldn't be unreasonable.

wzhu85

I got a suggestion somewhere that it could be my motherboard's northbridge overheating, so I opened up my case and had a fan blow directly towards the motherboard. Now when I tried playing World of Conflict Beta, the freezing seems to have dramatically decreased. It hasn't gone completely though, happens once every 20 min or so still, but the fan seems to have helped. Either way, if this is the case, I'll be replacing mine with a new motherboard and make sure if that was the problem. If not, I'll replace the psu next. If RTW or anyone else went out and replaced the psu, let me know the results, and I'll keep you guys posted on mine. Thanks