1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games Micro Stuttering Lag

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by NateN34, Oct 22, 2010.

1. NateN34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

I have a problem that I never used to notice before, but began to notice now, especially in new games. Whenever I play a game, it will run good at 60 fps but I get micro stuttering when I move my mouse once in a while. The mouse will move smooth for a while, but then will just have a small stutter. It really gets annoying and to the point, where it makes Fallout: New Vegas unplayable. Also it does not matter what FPS I have, this still happens. I can be running games like HL2, and CSS at 60+ and still get this micro stuttering.

Here is an example of what I am talking about
    Click Here

See how he moves his mouse and it jerks here and there once in a while? This is the problem I have, yet not as bad. I have tried uninstalling, updating and even changed driver versions. I also do not believe it is a mouse DPI issue, because it happens when I use my laptop's trackpad and does not help to lower or raise speed on the movement settings.

Does anyone know what this could be and how to fix it?

This is driving me crazy, and I think I am just going to reinstall a fresh OS and give up on playing games on my PC, if this cannot be fixed.

Thank you VERY much in advance,
    Nate

Specs: HP HDX16T
    Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20 Ghz
    4 GB DDR2 RAM
    9600m GT 512 mb (now at stock clocks) latest Nvidia driverhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqeYsoTRBFE
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    So, microstutter is evident when gpu is maxed. If your gpu is running @ 100% load, the only thing to get rid of it is to get a better gpu.

Also, your link to video(I assume it's a video) doesn't work.
  3. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Its a big issue with source engine games, it isnt your system its a bug. There is many ways to solve it but it varies rig to rig. A lot of people on other forums solved it by reducing the latency PCI timer to 64 or 32 in the bios.
    NateN34 says thanks.
  4. NateN34 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeh, I think I just was getting a little paranoid and was frustrated because of Fallout: New Vegas doing this. This happens in Fallout: New Vegas and CSS, which I think both have the shuddering problems. Thanks for the help.
  5. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's for old-school setups. PCI latency doesn't affect PCIE lanes (although it can have a slight impact on the BUS). Not all BIOSes support these options, though.

Some tips - try running at the next lower resolution. If it completely disappears, your GPU is having a hard time coping with the rendering. Either turn down the eye candy, upgrade your GPU, run a lower resolution, or do some overclocking. Increasing the SYS BUS speeds can work wonders at times in these situations. Make sure v-sync isn't enabled in the game or your video drivers (some games enable it by default), this can cause lots of micro stuttering too. You might be able to dig into the game's internal files and see if there's some run-time variables that can be adjusted. Many games have some form of .cfg that will allow you to make changes that aren't available via the options. Sometimes, these changes can increase performance without a noticeable impact on image quality. Perhaps also go through your list of processes running in the background - kill anything that's not 100% necessary. It'll free up a little more MEM for the application to make use of, which can reduce file swapping while running.

Some games are more picky with certain types of hardware than others - this can cause issues, too. There's not much one can do about these types of conflicts . . .

Some games are just inherently notorious for stuttering now and then, no matter how bad-ass your hardware setup. The STALKER series is a prime example.