1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Games you have bought that didn't work

Discussion in 'Games' started by HossHuge, Nov 23, 2008.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    GRID - codemasters response to the problem - set-up a forum for people to tell how they got their games to work and that's it.

Half-Life - I played this game and loved it. Then the next day and I quote "our servers are busy try again later." Then the next day and I quote "our servers are busy try again later." This went on for about a month until finally I gave up. I hate the souce program like no other!!

Could somebody explain to me how these practices could be legal? If I buy a toaster and it doesn't work. Do I have to call someone else that got it to work? So now I'm out the $80 bucks that could have made my Hd4850 a hd4870.

2. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Yep i know what ya mean with Grid dl it on steam and coudnt get it going something to do with the sound i think. I coudnt even find answers on the forums so in the end gave up. :(

3. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    CoD5 World at War and Age of Empires 3(tried playing with TNT2 :laugh:)

4. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    i once bought settlers 4 my pc didnt have enuf ram so i had to buy another 32mb
    also a lot of games wouldnt work with my geforce mx4 and i also had problems with my ati x800gto it only had shader model 2 not 3 which a lot of new games where using like splinter cell

5. JC316

JC316 Knows what makes you tick

Thanks Received:
    Splinter Cell Chaos theory and Splinter Cell Double Agent. Chaos theory I had to crack just to play, fucker kept giving me the "Insert the original disc" error. Double agent just flat refused to run over 10 FPS, something about it not agreeing with ATI cards.

6. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Maybe someone should call Erin Brockovich and get some justice for this stuff. I wonder how much money the industry from games that don't work and do they figure this in their plans.

7. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I cant get DA to work because it doesnt give me an environment. There was literally nothing on the screen other than Sam Fisher. Completely unplayable. It completely ruined the SC series for me and its a great game series.

8. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Also there are those games that you have to "GET" to run. With Dead Space (which I love) I had to find a dll on the CD and install it in the game folder for it to work.

9. philbrown23

philbrown23 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Kane and Lynch, just wont play past the first video, still wont, really pisses me off. Turok, just wont run freezes on start screen

10. JC316

Thanks Received:
    It was poorly programmed for PC. I hear that the 360 version is fine.

11. Gilletter

Gilletter

Thanks Received:
    WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY back in the day... Tony Larusa Baseball... on like 2-3 diskettes, lol :roll:

12. xubidoo New Member

Thanks Received:
    1 game ive had in the last 10 years that would not run and that was if i remember right a racing game called Motorhead.

13. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    This kinda crap is the only issues I've run into . . . "cannot find game disc"

sadly, it's not the game developer's fault for the shody copy protection software used, and it's neither the publisher's.

and besides - it's flat out annoying as hell, too . . . I can understand within the first 3-6 months since the game is released, but patch it the hell out!!

Look, if ID Software and Raven Software can be so kind as to remove the copy protection look up via a patch, everyone else can, too.

Usually it's annoying enough I'll go to the efforts to much around for a crack for it - screw the DMCA. I purchased the software, I'm within my rights as a user to modify it for my own personal uses, as long as I don't go distributing the "broken" software.

14. ..'Ant'..

..'Ant'.. New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah for it was Splinter Cell Chaos theory also all because of the dumb starforce.

15. JC316

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. I will crack a game to make it work for me. I won't distribute it, but that sucker should work.

16. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    PHP:
    AgreedI will crack a game to make it work for me.
    I have no problem using a crack. And if these types of problems persist I will have no problem getting games through other means.

17. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Stay off steam. Always buy a "physical copy". You can return those. You have consumer rights based on "retail purchase". You can always sell then on if you don't like them. And reinstalling on a new or upgraded PC is so much easier. Also, dont burn your limited bandwidth (or pay per GB) internet connection get used up with steam downloads.

AND, let the store, distributers, etc. make a bit of cash. Dont leave 90% of the profits with the steam-company.

18. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    earth 2160 just a piece of crap.. had to change my time and zone to make it work.. even there support forum is 1 big piece of crap..

19. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    There's nothing wrong with steam.. its actually quite nice, no cd keys, no patches to worry about, and now with steam cloud, all savegames and config settings can be kept on steam servers making it easier to reformat or move to a new computer.

I've never been able to return a peice of opened software to a retail store.

I Do agree with being able to sell it, that's a good thing for physical copies.

While steam downloads may be quite large, i only download them one time, then create my steam backup which is kept on my network drive on my local network.

I also agree about letting the stores make some revenue, i dont think they count online sales when they say "PC Gaming sales are hurting so bad"

20. DrPepper

DrPepper The Doctor is in the house

Thanks Received:
    Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142, Rise of Nations, Combat Flight Simulator 3, Tropico, Cossacks, Empires Dawn of a Modern World, GTA San Andreas, Supreme Commander, Medieval 2 Total War, Empire Earth 2, Company of Heroes.

The battlefield series hates me with a passion. Rise of Nations, CFS3, Cossacks and SupCom all had damaged disks when I got them brand new. GTA was in russian :wtf: Medieval 2 and 2142 had completely wrong serial codes and the rest wouldn't install or if they did I got like 2 fps.

21. Katanai

Katanai

Thanks Received:
    Dude that's a lot. I've played most games on that list and didn't have any problems with them. Except Battlefield 2, that's just too bugged out for my tastes.

22. zithe

zithe

Thanks Received:
    ...Do they send all the rejected discs to Scotland? Dang. Cossacks is an awesome game, especially with expansion packs.

23. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:

quite possibly ;) I bought star wars best of pc collection and the cd keys for battlefront and rupublic commando didn't work.

24. chris89 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Only one.

And that was the Orginal Sin game, looked so good but never worked :(

25. mullered07

mullered07 New Member

Thanks Received:
    dead space here have a lookie :( probably cats 8.10, but im keepin them, not messing with drivers again until somthing noticeably better comes out.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: