• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming Addiction Same As Snorting Cocaine

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, I've got a nephew that would shove your formula up your @$$.

He's the one that took apart my bro's dirtbike, ran through the yard naked, thrown my 18" CRT out of my window (the one I liked), punched his little sister over popcorn, etc. (not all in one day of course).

I guess it's too late for whatever you do, but when he took the dirtbike apart my bro got PO'd, grabbed his neck (I heard pops!), and had a "chat" with him. I guess it's a little harsh, but I don't think he's ever touched my or my bro's stuff ever again.

I don't control by fear. Sure, it works, but can have bad side effects. And trust me, the taliban raising suicide bombers don't use fear for control...they beat those kids, but not to make them afraid...to make them angry. Do you think your kids like you after you hit them?

I don't really do anything special. Momma only eats certain foods, months before getting pregnant, and during pregnancy, and same with after, baby gets specific foods too, etc...not any real big deal. Any doctor will tell you a good diet is nessecary.

I've known my wife for 20-some odd years now, my oldest just turned 9 a couple of weeks ago. We planned everything. Almost had all 4 in May, until we had two, and were broke from two birthdays in one month. :laugh:

It's not that simple for everyone though. Condoms break, etc, etc...but whateva.

It's not like I think it's the only way to have good kids, but it's definately one way that works.

I mean, a kid is curious, and you punish them so they stop? That's stifling that curiosity...and to me, that's wrong.

I have a tonne of patience when it comes to them though. One of the mother's at the school, has asked me countless times "why are you still smiling? Don't you ever get tired?"

Personally, I just think I got some brain damage when I fell...would have been front of the head...:laugh:

And I tell ya what, videogames and computers are a big part of our lives. Nothing wrong with them. And if my kids become "addicted", I'll deal with it, but I doubt that will happen.

Heck, they can play whenever they want...and they don't.

He was talking about if he locked himself in his room, punched a hole through his door, and told his parents to give him food through aforementioned hole.

Hell, if I did that my mom would whoop me without blinking (turning my door into a pathetic heap of wood and my computer ripped capacitor from resistor).

Id take the child to see a psychiatrist or some professional, they clearly have a problem that needs attention not just beating them till they are scared of you.

You need to treat problems like addiction if they are severe. People need to self monitor and know when to stop, some people need educating because they don't know when its a problem or how self moderate, generally that is the job of the parent.

Dont draw me out its a tech forum not a debate society (not to any specific user just in general), sure i said that but related to gaming and to the OP. The child is addicted to extreme levels and how you deal with that is related to the OP but not discussing idk corporal punishment as pertains to morality or the legality or effectiveness of corporal punishment.

I have only replied about the specific issue as it pertains to the original post.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
Ugh, this is getting confusing. I don't know who I'm talking to anymore, nor do I know what other people are talking to even more other people.

Please use this:

Reactions: r9
System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
Sorry, will do.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I didn't mean video games, I meant misbehavior in general.

"Get out of that seat, your mother was sitting there"
"no"
"I said get out of that seat..."
"no fu"

Situations like these are when a child deserves to be fairly disciplined.

Depends on the age, I think, to be completely honest. For some, there's just no hope. It really pains me to say it, but that's a fact.

Your brain only truly develops @ two specific ages, so if things like this aren't going to be dealt with within those periods, the future is already set in stone...because they way that child's brain works, isn't going to change.

So, if you don't take proper care during these times, sure, I suppose games could be just as addictive as cocaine...I mean, people have died playing WoW...sad stories...but that happened for a reason, certain behaviors caused those events to happen. And parenting is a big part of it.

This is, of course, excluding things like chemical imbalances, congential problems, etc...for some things, no amount of parenting can decide what will happen.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
hmmm so gaming is like cocaine.....must be like heroine if you grind up a game disc n snort it....gimme a sec lol

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
hmmm so gaming is like cocaine.....must be like heroine if you grind up a game disc n snort it....gimme a sec lol

Yeah, game developers are suppliers and Wal-Marts and Fry's and Game Crazys are all drug dealers.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
WTF Coke addiction???

How can someone be addicted to THAT???

Last edited by a moderator:

Instant Thunder

System Name Thunder
Processor Q8200 @ 3.0 GHz (lapped)
Motherboard Asus P5Q Pro
Cooling Zerotherm FZ120 (lapped)
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper @ 900 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS 4850 Top
Storage Seagate 500 GB
Display(s) 20" Acer and 19" Viewsonic
Case Raidmax Eclipse (modded)
Power Supply Tuniq Potency 650W (80 Plus)
Software Windows XP - 32 bit
WTF Coke addiction???
How can someone be addicted to THAT???

mmmmm....mmmmmm....such high carbon content....mmmmmm....yeah....give me all your remaining hydrogen content....<grabs credit card to start cutting lines>

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
haha. i have to say the genius behind this "game addiction=coke" is utterly....retarded and must be in dire need of attention as its probly the most rediculous statement i've heard in ages.

Mcdonalds is more like coke cause it at least isn't healthy for the body, games tehcnically are as it requires brain powa.

System Name The "H3X" / beaut
Processor AMD X6 1090t /Intel Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE 990FX UD3 / eVGA 780i FTW
Cooling Corsair H70/ Stock Intel
Memory 8GB Mushkin Silverline Enhanced 1333 / 4 Gigs Corsair Dominator ddr2 1066
Video Card(s) XFX 5850 /eVGA 9800 GTX+ (dual SLI)
Storage OCZ Vertex III 120 GB + Hatichi 1TB / WD Blue 640GB
Display(s) 3x Acer S211H/ (buddies) Vizio 37" LCD HDTV
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D / Antec 900
Power Supply Corsair 850 Modular/ Corsair 750
Software Win 7 Ultimate /Windows Vista Ultimate
Sorry I am late to this thread I have been injecting PURE CoD in my man vain... the thought thhat Gamming is ANYWARE as dangoruse as COCAIN is just another excuse to try to extract the things people enjoy doning. I mean everything would go better if we were all working zombies and did nothing to express our individualism.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Most of the world's problems can be fixed by eating more bacon, including gaming addiction.
You just can't keep focused on the game when you smell the frying bacon.

http://img.techpowerup.org/100527/Bacon.jpg

it also fixes Jews and muslims pretty good, from what i hear.

It IS the cure for everything!

(dont take this as racist. i had a jewish GF and eating bacon with breakfast every morning was hilarious with her around.)

$

$immond$

it also fixes Jews and muslims pretty good, from what i hear.

It IS the cure for everything!

(dont take this as racist. i had a jewish GF and eating bacon with breakfast every morning was hilarious with her around.)

I have a difficult time believing Jews and Muslims are a "race".

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
$

$immond$

religionist is a dumb word.

No but I myself can convert to Judaism or Islam regardless of my ethnicity. I being of British and Mongolian ancestry can also be a jew, muslim, catholic budhist ect, which ever I may choose.

A belief system is universal to anyone.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
No but I myself can convert to Judaism or Islam regardless of my ethnicity. I being of British and Mongolian ancestry can also be a jew, muslim, catholic budhist ect, which ever I may choose.

but you cant eat bacon if you convert! the horror!

bigtye

System Name ibuiltit
Processor E8500 stock for now
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45 DS4
Cooling CPU- Xigmatek Red Scorpion, 1x23cm fan, 3x12cm fan
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Video Card(s) Asus 5850 1gb
Storage Samsung 750gb F1, 500bg F1 for backup
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armour+
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair 750 TX
Software xp 32 bit SP3, Win 7 64 bit

I think we are way off topic now, lol. As to comparisom with gaming and cocaine addiction I believe they are referring to the strength of the compulsion to play again or the need to continue for "one more round".

Obviously the type of chemical reaction and "high" occuring in your brain will be different. But remember that feedback and reward cycles in the brain are based on the neuro transmitter seretonin. Whether you release this neurotransmitter by consuming a drug (ecstacy being the most common) or by completing a task or challenge successfully, the desire to reexperience this state is what motivates you to do it again.

As such, as someone stated in an earlier post, almost anything can become addictive.

Liike mussels above, I am surprised at the numbe rof TPU'ers who have tried cocaine (not having done so myself)

Tye

System Name Flow
Processor AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Motherboard MSI 790fx GD70
Cooling Water
Memory 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer Blue ddr3 1600 c8
Video Card(s) 2 x XFX 6850 - Yet to go under water.
Storage Corsair s128
Display(s) HP 24" 1920x1200
Case Custom Lian-Li V2110b
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1
Power Supply Corsair 850HX
Sensationalist title as has already been pointed out... never done cocaine so I wouldn't know but having been prescribed adderall in my younger years (which I have now grown out of) I know that was miles better than gaming and from what I understand its quite similar to cocaine in effect...

I fing hate Jack Thompson..... even though this isnt him at work

How are they going to compare Gaming to Cocaine before comparing Cocaine to Cigarette Smoking.

Cigarette smoking is bad to your health is highly addictive and can seriously effect your nervous system causing you to get angry and flip if you don't smoke in a while. This has been going on much longer than gaming and no one has attacked Cigarette smoking. BS! If your going to ban games or bitch about gaming then Cigarette smoking should come first!

Plus there is a huge difference between Physical Addiction and Psychological Addiction.

Because no one is defending gaming industry and they always s**t all over it. If there is a shooting in schools, they blame games. If some kid shots his parents, it's games fault. If someone jumps off the building, it's games fault. If someone is addicted, it's games fault.
However no one ever looks at the human factor that's the main problem.
Plus, games really cannot be compared to cigarettes and even less with cocaine no matter how much they bash the games. Games can hurt your social life a bit, but they won't make you get lung cancer or brain cancer because of the cocaine sniffed through your nose. Or make you addictive so you'd shake like crazy if you don't sniff your white line for 3 days.
Sure i get bored and wish to play something if i don't do it for a longer period, but i can just as well live without gaming. I'll be bored a bit but i'll easily survive. Which i cannot say for smokers and consumers of cocaine (based on what i read and see, don't have personal experience and i don't have any need for it).

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
It is parents' responsibility to monitor and guide their kids in all respects, including gaming. Gaming itself isn't bad; allowing problematic behavior to develop as a result of any stimuli (like gaming) is.

If your kids lie, cheat, steal, rebel, and don't eat, don't use gaming as a scapegoat. They are your responsibility.

Those are some excellent words TIGR. We should hire you to represent the gaming community on this issue.

System Name Benny
Processor Phenom II 1055t @ 3.3GHz; 300x11; 1.380v; NB 2700; HT 2400
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (2002 BIOS)
Cooling Thermalright TRUE 120 Black + 2 Xilence Red Wing PWM 120mm (push/pull) + polycarbonate fan holders
Memory 8GB GeIL Ultra 2133MHZ C9 running at 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-21 1T 1.5v
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr II GTX470 @ Stock w/CPU fan cable-tied on, as one of the GPU fans broke.
Storage 60GB OCZ Agility3 (OS);500GB WDC Grn; 1x1TB WDC Blk (Backup)
Display(s) ASUS PA823Q
Case Silverstone Raven 2 (all cables custom sleeved with velcro mod on side panel...)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi (Onboard) + Harmon Kardon HK6100 amp powering JVC HA-RX700's with Zalman mic
Power Supply Corsair HX650W
Software Win7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores No benchies so making this space useful! Corsair M90, Logitech G19. Phobya FlexLight LED's (gawjus)
IMO it's mostly the addictive personality of the person using drugs/games, not so much the drugs or games themselves. I have an addictive personality, anything I touch I get hooked on EASY. Luckily through self assesment I saw this and can control myself a little better.
I *ahem* know of people who take cocaine for fun, and I know of people that are hooked on it. I have been addicted to cocaine myself, only for a few months in 2005 but my other half helped me off it. I'm still with her and we've now got 2 healthy children.

If you don't have an addictive nature you can game, take drugs recreationally and drink etc. without getting hooked as much/quick as someone with an addictive nature. Blaming a material object for our own downfalls/lack of teachings is not going to get us anywhere. Unfortunately it's nothing new.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
IMO it's mostly the addictive personality of the person using drugs/games, not so much the drugs or games themselves. I have an addictive personality, anything I touch I get hooked on EASY. Luckily through self assesment I saw this and can control myself a little better.
I *ahem* know of people who take cocaine for fun, and I know of people that are hooked on it. I have been addicted to cocaine myself, only for a few months in 2005 but my other half helped me off it. I'm still with her and we've now got 2 healthy children.

If you don't have an addictive nature you can game, take drugs recreationally and drink etc. without getting hooked as much/quick as someone with an addictive nature. Blaming a material object for our own downfalls/lack of teachings is not going to get us anywhere. Unfortunately it's nothing new.

the way i always say it, is that if you put a fked up person in any situation, they will go overboard. sports, gaming, poker machines, anywhere... they will flip out and cause problems.
EVERY person who goes mental will have one hobby - football, soccer, drinking at the pub, playing CS source... the media just loves to pick gaming for the weirdos. not the fact that they punched some guy out in the pub when his footy team lost, or that in high school he was known as a bully long before he bought (stole? lol) his first gaming console.

$

$immond$

I dunno in my experience I always found sex allot more addictive then video games. Drugs dont even cut it for me. I still cant imagine how some people can play World of Warcraft hours on end...

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I still cant imagine how some people can play World of Warcraft hours on end...

Because in order to advance and get the best loot you have to play for hours on end. It's pretty disgusting, but effective at generating revenue.