• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming and kids

System Name My last desktop build...maybe
Processor i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Cooling Corsair H110
Memory 16 GB Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) EVGA 560
Storage Samsung 840 EVO
Case Corsair
Software Win 8.1 Pro
Well, I never thought I would enjoy playing games on my PC, but unfortunately TPU started the desire and I really enjoy it. I never thought much of FPS games but Wolfenstein has me hooked and several others that members have recommended. My wife does not thank you.

With this new found enjoyment I have spent some time playing games with my son. He is a very inquisitive 9 year old who is learning about computers on his own and has taught himself a ton. I like spending the time with him and we keep the amount of time we play to around 1 hour and not every day. So here is my question, do any other TPU members play games like Wolfenstein, Battlefield, Call of Duty with their kids even though the ratings are "M". We talk about what is going on in the game and some of the language that is said. He is a good kid and I have never heard him use any of the language from the games. Also, how do others feel about the "violence" of the games for kids? He is a black belt candidate in karate and is in no way aggressive. He has even walked away from kids bullying him when he could have seriously hurt them. Just curious about what others think.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Me I don't really like such graphical violence in games. I don't like to hurt people IRL, why should I enjoy pretending I'm hurting them? I don't even play Europa Universalis anymore because I can't stop thinking about the peasants I'm trampling beneath my imperial feet. :p

But that's just me. Free will etc. vOv

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Pretty much says it all about the community in general......

Im not against you having a little time with your son, but the more he encounters players like these then the more hes going to pick up on the language and develop behavioral problems like the kids in this video.

The community itself as a whole is toxic because no parent seems to monitor or supervise what their child plays. No parent cares - so long as the child isnt demanding their attention for an hour or so its a little bit of peace and quiet for them.

theres no setting in the game to permanently mute voice chat afaik so be prepared to explain to him what negative inflammatory racist or hate filled comments or words mean when someone else decides he has to share it with the rest of the other players and he picks up on that.

As for how i feel about violent games - Honestly kids shouldnt be playing such games, but CoD is more of an arcade shooter, nothing thats super realistic. Ive been playing shooters since i was 16 and my mum was always screaming at me about shit she heard on the news about kids reenacting scenes from games and going out there and killing their friends and other innocent people etc etc but Im 28 now and ive never been in trouble with the police or decided that i wanted to go out on the street and knife people because i saw it in a video game.

You are the parent, you are responsible for your child, you assess him mentally and see if you think he's immature or mentally stable enough to play violent games but leave the violence in the virtual world where in belongs when its time to unplug.

------

I was always a very hyperactive child, and it affected the way i learned things because i had the attention span of a goldfish, It affected the way i interacted with other people (as a kid) and I got into a lot of fights because of it. It made me pretty impulsive and I wouldnt even think twice about hitting someone if they were touching something that belonged to me. What did my parents do? put me through karate class - gave me a way to channel that aggression. I was still hyperactive but by highschool i had calmed down a lot.

If you dont want your kid exposed to the kind of trash on the video then find an offline game you can both play and enjoy or make sure he knows that the kind of behaviour he will be experiencing will not be tolerated at home or outside.

back when i started playing CoD1 I was part of a clan who used to play online with their kids too. Though back then it was a completely different day & age and a completely different community.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4790K
Cooling Corsair H110
Video Card(s) EVGA 560
Storage Samsung 840 EVO
Case Corsair
Software Win 8.1 Pro
Both of you make valid points. We do not play online with others, offline single person campaigns only. Much of the off color language is within the game. The video posted is exactly why I/we don't do it. It is not a way of life for us but just some down time once, maybe twice a week and only for about an hour. I am not trying to justify that this is OK, just trying to reconcile in my own mind whether or not to allow this. We have only played the games a handful of times, maybe 5, but before it goes any further I want to get some opinions to make an informed decision on whether to stop now or how to proceed.

UPDATE: Well it has only taken 3 people to reply and another school shooting to make me rethink the types of games to play with my son. There are plenty of games out there that do not use the language or violence that we can play together. No sense in having him grow up too fast, he will do that anyway. Thanks for the replies. I think this is the right choice.

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I do not think I agree with Freedom Eclipse, at least in this case. Sounds like this kid already has a good head on his shoulders and some true self-confidence so I don't see third person shooters and their players turning him into an immature f-bomb dropping troll who feels the need to beat down others.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The community itself as a whole is toxic because no parent seems to monitor or supervise what their child plays. No parent cares - so long as the child isnt demanding their attention for an hour or so its a little bit of peace and quiet for them.

I resent this comment of yours.

You are the parent, you are responsible for your child, you assess him mentally and see if you think he's immature or mentally stable enough to play violent games but leave the violence in the virtual world where in belongs when its time to unplug.

Proper education on a subject doesn't cover a person's ability to actually grasp or understand the subject.

My kids are usually within 5 feet of me at all times. I am that over-attentive parent, and that has consequences as well.

While I allow my son to play overtly-violent video games, the exposure is less than you'd find on TV. I do NOT allow my kids to watch TV, don't even have cable TV at this point, and when we did, it was always supervised. There is a marked difference between seeing "realistic animated characters" killing, and real people acting it out on TV. When a child cannot discern the difference between real life, and game characters, then yeah, I side with you.

I must digress, you do bring up some valid points, but they don't apply as broadly as you think. My son is an "A" student, involved in sports, and in community activities with other kids from our neighborhood. He plays all sorts of "M" rated games...after I have. I'm playing Watch_Dogs right now... not because I want to play it, but because he does. I don't think I'll let him buy it.

I also will not leave my kids unsupervised with their mother's family. Real and present dangers exist outside of videogames, and videogames themselves are only an issue, in my opinion, to impressionable and naïve minds. Knowing if someone fits in those segments of behavior doesn't implicitly imply they must be a child...many adults are just as easily influenced.

Last edited:
Processor i7 4790K
Cooling Corsair H110
Video Card(s) EVGA 560
Storage Samsung 840 EVO
Case Corsair
Software Win 8.1 Pro
I do not think I agree with Freedom Eclipse, at least in this case. Sounds like this kid already has a good head on his shoulders and some true self-confidence so I don't see third person shooters and their players turning him into an immature f-bomb dropping troll who feels the need to beat down others.

He is a good kid and his mother and I believe in protecting our kids but not sheltering them. She is not real fond of the games. Unfortunately times are changing in the real world and not just the video game world. I think he will grow up soon enough so not helping this along might be a good idea. Maybe I will get out the old Sega Genesis and pop in Boogerman.

I must digress, you do bring up some valid points, but they don't apply as broadly as you think. My son is an "A" student, involved in sports, and in community activities with other kids from our neighborhood. He plays all sorts of "M" rated games...after I have. I'm playing Watch_Dogs right now... not because I want to play it, but because he does. I don't think I'll let him buy it.

This isn't a bad idea. Thanks.

I also will not leave my kids unsupervised with their mother's family. Real and present dangers exist outside of videogames, and videogames themselves are only an issue, in my opinion, to impressionable and naïve minds. Knowing if someone fits in those segments of behavior doesn't implicitly imply they must be a child...many adults are just as easily influenced.

This I completely agree with.

Last edited by a moderator:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This isn't a bad idea. Thanks.

Not all kids out there have parents that play videogames, but many do. It's those that do not, that might fall into Freedom Eclipse's scenario.

There are also many parents that didn't have kids on purpose. That said, I truly feel it is not any videogame's fault that has kids behaving the way some do.. It's entirely up to how they were raised, and what they have experienced prior to games.

I won't let my son play a game - any game - unless I have. Because some of the content in the "E" games, really is NOT for everyone. ESRB ratings aren't meant to be anything other than general guidelines on the content.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Both of you make valid points. We do not play online with others, offline single person campaigns only. Much of the off color language is within the game. The video posted is exactly why I/we don't do it. It is not a way of life for us but just some down time once, maybe twice a week and only for about an hour. I am not trying to justify that this is OK, just trying to reconcile in my own mind whether or not to allow this. We have only played the games a handful of times, maybe 5, but before it goes any further I want to get some opinions to make an informed decision on whether to stop now or how to proceed.

UPDATE: Well it has only taken 3 people to reply and another school shooting to make me rethink the types of games to play with my son. There are plenty of games out there that do not use the language or violence that we can play together. No sense in having him grow up too fast, he will do that anyway. Thanks for the replies. I think this is the right choice.
Gotta agree with your decision here. My 17 year old daughter has finally been given permission to try out the Halo games. I got her into the Elder Scrolls series, and there are TONS of game out there that you can play to spend quality time with your young man without exposing him to wanton violence. Now, I played Mortal Kombat TONS when it first came out, but I was a young adult at that point, and relatively mature for my age. The stuff you see these days? I'm sorry, but unless that's being filtered through a serious parental channel, it's really stupid just to let a child play anything. 5 years ago, I went through my XBox collection of games, and gave her 3 stacks: "you can play", "you can't play now", "we're trading in". She's in the "You can't play now" stack these days, but even this last weekend, she still came to me and asked permission to open one that she hadn't tried yet (Thief 3, which tickled the hell outta me :) ).
It really doesn't matter what games you let them play if you're not going to be involved in their life and the decisions they make. Good call, on your part, in my opinion... good luck :)

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
My 11 year old daughter recently got into RPGs like Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age. I had a discussion with my wife that maybe she shouldn't play the Dragon Age games...maybe I shelter too much.

Much more drama comes from my gamer wife who plays mmorpgs and everyone wants to be her boyfriend so I tease her a lot when guys send her free stuff and pay her account subscriptions :p

System Name SnowFire / The Reinforcer
Processor i7 10700K 5.1ghz (24/7) / 2x Xeon E52650v2
Motherboard Asus Strix Z490 / Dell Dual Socket (R720)
Cooling RX 360mm + 140mm Custom Loop / Dell Stock
Memory Corsair RGB 16gb DDR4 3000 CL 16 / DDR3 128gb 16 x 8gb
Video Card(s) GTX Titan XP (2025mhz) / Asus GTX 950 (No Power Connector)
Storage Samsung 970 1tb NVME and 2tb HDD x4 RAID 5 / 300gb x8 RAID 5
Display(s) Acer XG270HU, Samsung G7 Odyssey (1440p 240hz)
Case Thermaltake Cube / Dell Poweredge R720 Rack Mount Case
Audio Device(s) Realtec ALC1150 (On board)
Power Supply Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt / Dell Stock 750 / Brick
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Logitech G19S
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows Server 2016
As far as what has been stated in the thread ill add my own view as well:

Video games rating system is very sensitive in this day and age, getting above an E rating is a snap of the fingers and games that used to be labeled T back in the old days automatically jump to M today. I do not see playing "M" rated games with kids (Or letting) as too bad ( I do see a base age but its not as bad as can be made out) however of course there are exceptions to that rule and I view the violence aspect not as bad as the words or suggestive material aspects of games. Truthfully, CoD is not that bad a game and actually has a low amount of suggestive material and cussing compared to other M rated games (IE GTA 5) strictly campaign wise of course.

Now as for online play, I personally view that in a different light no matter what game or rating it has. Online communities have the worst tongues right now and have for years with some of the talk I hear worse than anything ive said in my entire life every other sentence. League of Legends for instance is only rated T yet I read horrid comments constantly on one team or another pretty often similar to seeing/hearing that in online CoD, BF4, or the likes.

It comes down to just let them play with you and make sure they understand things are not real in these games. 99% of kids already know this and the reality is its not as big a deal as its made out to be in the news and what not. I just think the online community and watching for suggestive themes/cussing being the primary things to be careful about when deciding if a game is appropriate for a kid.

Just my viewpoint...

Last edited:
System Name TITAN Slayer / CPUCannon / MassFX
Processor i7 5960X @ 4.6Ghz / i7 3960x @5.0Ghz / FX6350 @ 4.?Ghz
Motherboard Rampage V Extreme / Rampage IV Extreme / MSI 970 Gaming
Cooling Phanteks PHTC14PE 2.5K 145mm TRs / Custom waterloop / Phanteks PHTC14PE + 3K 140mm Noctuas
Memory Crucial 2666 11-13-13-25 1.45V / G.skill RipjawsX 2400 10-12-12-34 1.7V / Crucial 2133 9-9-9-27 1.7V
Video Card(s) 3 Fury X in CF / R9 Fury 3840 cores 1145/570 1.3V / Nothing ATM
Storage 500GB Crucial SSD and 3TB WD Black / WD 1TB Black(OS) + WD 3TB Green / WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) LG 29UM67 80Hz/Asus mx299q 2560x1080 @ 84Hz / Asus VX239 1920x1080 @60hz
Case Dismatech easy v3.0 / Xigmatek Alfar (Open side panel)
Audio Device(s) M-audio M-track / realtek ALC 1150
Power Supply EVGA G2 1600W / CoolerMaster V1000 / Seasonic 620 M12-II
Mouse Mouse in review process/Razer Naga Epic 2011/Razer Naga 2014
Keyboard Keyboard in review process / Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014/Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2011
Software Windows 7 Ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate / Windows 7 ultimate
Benchmark Scores cinebench 15.41 3960x @ 5.3ghz Wprime32m 3.352 3960x @ 5.25ghz Super PI 32m: 6m 42s 472ms @5.25ghz
I first played COD4 at a friends house when I was in 4th grade(yeah I'm a bit young) and was disgusted at what I saw on one of the maps. Now I don't really care about any violence in games though I admit to finding games where there are rivers of blood and high velocity ragdolls incredibly entertaining but that's because it's all so incredibly fake. In a game you know and realize that the body flying through the air has nothing to lose it's a 3D model, it doesn't have a family, it doesn't even feel pain so I'm OK watching it fly threw the air after getting blown up by explosives. I would never actually kill anyone while thinking straight and even in a fight I would never pull a weapon. The only things games have managed to do is to get me to use some extremely bad language no racial slurs but plenty swearing ever since 6th grade.

All the cases of youth violence I've heard of end in a suicide so I would guess that it's more of an interest in getting attention rather than a case of hating someone to the point that you want them dead or the shooter being a psycho path and because these stories get in the news other attention seeking idiots go out and copy the original idiots. If you were an actual psychopath that enjoys killing you wouldn't kill yourself because you wouldn't regret what you did. Attention seeking idiots end up realizing that the attention they got isn't the attention they wanted and kill themselves. The TV is a bigger threat than games in that way.

System Name ---
Processor FX 8350 @ 4.00 Ghz with 1.28v
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3 v4.0, Hacked Bios F4.x
Cooling Silenx 4 pipe Tower cooler + 2 x Cougar 120mm fan, 3 x 120mm, 1 x 200 mm Red LED fan
Memory Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866 16GB + Patriot Memory DDR3 1866 16GB
Video Card(s) Asus R9 290 OC @ GPU - 1050, MEM - 1300
Storage Inland 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD for OS, WDC Black - 2TB + 1TB Storage, Inland 480GB SSD - Games
Display(s) 3 x 1080P LCDs - Acer 25" + Acer 23" + HP 23"
Case AeroCool XPredator X3
Audio Device(s) Built-in Realtek
Power Supply Corsair HX1000 Modular
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
I do allow my 8 yr old son to play BF3 and BF4 on my PC, but I make sure I log him to a less crowded server. All he likes is to wander around, jump around, fly the planes, jump out, put C4 etc. He has Black Belt in Taekwondo and he knows his limits, well behaved kid too.

Both of us spend father and son bonding time on Age of Empires.

As long as we keep an eye on what they are doing and make them aware of the bad things they might see on these games kids are smart enough to understand. Too much blood and violence I try to avoid though.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
When my boys are old enough they will be limited to games like minecraft where they are forced to use their imagination and some problem solving. As they grow older I hope to push them towards RTS games to help develop forward thinking and quick decision making skills. However, every preteen and teenage boy enjoys FPS so it may be difficult.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
When my boys are old enough they will be limited to games like minecraft where they are forced to use their imagination and some problem solving. As they grow older I hope to push them towards RTS games to help develop forward thinking and quick decision making skills. However, every preteen and teenage boy enjoys FPS so it may be difficult.

Just keep in mind the things your kids see you do, that they cannot... they want.

My son, reads zombie-themed books, plays BF games, and guitar (and PC guitar games). A Boy Scout with top grades that runs long-distance track, and snowboards.

None of that is important.

What is important is that he is happy, confident, and sincere. Happy people don't run around hurting other people. Games and their content don't matter unless they cannot understand the content. The same is true for TV, books, movies, music...

Overall, this is really a very basic subject that has been around since man has existed, just in a new context. Everyone really knows the right answers here.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Overall, this is really a very basic subject that has been around since man has existed, just in a new context. Everyone really knows the right answers here.

yes, exactly. be a good parent and your kid will not go around hurting other people.

/thread

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I'd recommend games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There is little to no swearing and the entire game can be beat without killing anyone except the forced boss fights. Dishonored falls in the same category (doesn't have the exception for boss fights either). Dishonored especially punishes you for being violent. We could even go back to most of the Splinter Cell games (Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory, Double Agent) where you can pacify instead of kill. It makes the game much harder, but more rewarding. I think the violent games best for kids are like these that have a non-violent solution. If you have a kid that chooses the violent route virtually all of the time, I'd ask why and if I'm not satisfied with the answer, I would be inclined to get a psychologist involved because he/she has anger issues.

Online is not just a "no," but a "hell no," unless it is with people they know in person.

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
As a child growing up, I've had access to a PC with games on there for pretty much my whole youth. My parents never really actively censored what I could, and could not play. I basically could play anything I could get my hands on, and they were supportive whenever I let them know I'd like to buy another game.

The difference between that and many examples of kids lives these days however seems to be that my parents always tried to impart on me a very clear sense of wrong and right, which usually caused me to make the correct choices myself(never touched postal for an instance since I knew about it from all the stories from other people). Another thing might be the fact that I could usually explore those games on my own, or with close friends/relatives, which I suppose lessened me being influenced by other people like a lot of kids these days seems to be in a big way. They way current gaming communities seem to concentrate the worst kind of people, while also giving them the opportunity to be the biggest bullies without consequences also does not help at all.

I also believe that actively censoring stuff might actually lead to opposite results. Its in the nature of kids to seek out boundaries, and try to get their way against the odds. For some it becomes the more attractive the more their parents try to get them to stop playing. A mother of a close relative kept denying acces to the game Doom, which only caused the kid in question to become more and more curious as to what was actually the deal with that game.

In my opinion the only thing that really matters is parenting. While these days it's computergames, it used to be playing soldier in the garden, or knight, or hero or whatever, and to the imagination of a child they can all be just as real as the rest of their lives. Its up to their parents to bring everything in proper context and teach them whats wrong and whats right.

edit :
I'd recommend games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. There is little to no swearing and the entire game can be beat without killing anyone except the forced boss fights.

As someone from outside of the US, I really never got the whole love/hate relationship with swearing. Stuff never gets censored over here, and from my standpoint, the only thing all that excessive censoring(beeping) results in is making swearing "cool" for those people already sensitive to that kind of thing. If you don't want people to hear what you're saying, just don't say it! In that case it was probably not worth saying anyway. It also leaves you with a bigger dynamic range of expressing yourself when it really ís needed.(instead of swearing so much it looses all value except expressing something generic and negative)

Also, I'll probably change my mind when my own kids arrive at some point, but this is how I experienced my own childhood :p

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
My opinion, the less electronic game playing, the better. No matter what the rating. Keep in mind YouTube, it shows off just about every game with swearing and commentaries that'll make Mike Tyson cringe.

Monitoring: I do not allow electronics in the bedroom. The XBox and computers are in the general living areas, so I know what they're being exposed to.

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
I guess my experience gaming with the kids would be considered a bit uncool these days. We played games like Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64 and Golden Eye on the Nintendo 64 and Donkey Kong Country and Power Rangers on the SNES. Fun games and everyone had fun. Our girl wasn't real good at the Nintendo games so I helped her play Barbie Adventures on our PC. She loved it so that made it fun for me too.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Mine enjoyed an ATV racing/bashing game we played :) Not very barbie-like, but she enjoyed it :)

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
As someone from outside of the US, I really never got the whole love/hate relationship with swearing. Stuff never gets censored over here, and from my standpoint, the only thing all that excessive censoring(beeping) results in is making swearing "cool" for those people already sensitive to that kind of thing. If you don't want people to hear what you're saying, just don't say it! In that case it was probably not worth saying anyway. It also leaves you with a bigger dynamic range of expressing yourself when it really ís needed.(instead of swearing so much it looses all value except expressing something generic and negative)
I agree but there are parents out there that really don't like swearing so it was a public service announcement. XD

Processor Ryzen 3600
Motherboard B450
Cooling Scythe Ashura
Memory Team Dark Z 3200 8GB x2
Video Card(s) MSI 390
Storage WD 2TB + WD Green 640GB
Display(s) Samsung 40JU6600 @ 200% scaling
Case Coolermaster CM 690 II
Audio Device(s) Fiio E10K, Graham Slee Solo II SRG, Sennheiser HD6XX, AKG K7XX, ATH WS1100is
Power Supply Corsair HX650
Mouse Rival 700
Keyboard Corsair K70, Razer Tarantula
In my opinion violence and gaming is unrelated (maybe slightly). My generation played Doom and Mortal Kombat in elementary school (few of us could read english at that time and in my country ESRB rating is totally ignored and totally alien stuff to our parents) and maybe CS in junior high. None of us (as I know of) involved in violence except for usual fight between friends (you know girl problem or something).

I think the most important filter is ultimately the parent. We as kids, learn from our parents, even though there will be teen rebel time but eventually we grown respectful to our (decent) parents.
Parent should not censored anything, but parent should give the kids understanding about the matters, be it resolving problem without violence, swearing, racial issue, or sex.
Tell them what is good what is bad, give them reasoning and understanding not just prohibition, they will tread gaming content and community carefully (or in other words... like a game). Silent parent is fail parent.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
I don't think vidya games are a problem in the slightest, it's the toxic online community that some of them come with. If a kid has been thrust in front of a PC or console game because their parents CBA to deal with them, that's how XxXD4RKSL4yer360noscopeMLGPROXxX is made, because his parents aren't teaching him to be a human being. They're using violent entertainment as some kind of "upbringing tool", so little johnny starts learning all the shit the other 13 year old kids on CoD online say on voicechat, and hey-presto, another community uneducated moron is born.

I think OP is a cool guy, and that's how I was brought up. I played violent video games, but violence disgusts me in real life. I can laugh with my foreign friends and we can make jokes about each others' race without any emotional harm AT ALL. All because my parents and/or siblings were positive influences as my time on vidya games started to become more prominent and grew.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
ha! I would grow up on watching stuff like aliens, predator, and other gory sci fi movies and play those named games and other gory stuff and I came out fine :D I was the least sheltered kid (wasn't coddled like most are I was let outside to play and I would get hurt a lot but it made me tough!) and I'm still not sheltered and whiny and sappy-ass like a lot of people are these days. Yet I'm very friendly to most people, very easy going and extremely helpful and cheery most of the time. I can't even bring myself to kill some insects sometimes and I always help kids and animals in distress.

The big problem is parents don't let their kids play outside they think its evil or something and they won't let little tommy have a girlfiend have a good time but they are totally ok with xXTomas_Da_Big_GunzzXx cussing out people on CoD!