1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming at 5K : GTX TITAN Z Review

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by DGLee, May 19, 2014.

1. DGLee

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

About a couple of month ago, I was wondering what's 5K and why it was mentioned in official GTX TITAN Z
    presentation at GTC 2014. In the presentation I'd watched, the GTX TITAN Z is described as "the first graphics
    card that is 5K-Ready". From this, I planned to test several highest-end graphics cards at super-high resolution
    above QHD. First, I designed the test scenarios as follow:

- 2560 x 1600 (4 million pixels)
    - 5760 x 1080 (3-way surround of 1920 x 1080, 6 million pixels)
    - 4096 x 2160 (4K, 8 million pixels)
    - 7680 x 1600 (3-way surround of 2560 x 1600, 12 million pixels)
    - 5120 x 2700 (5K, 14 million pixels)

For the test, all games are to be set at their highest graphics quality option except anti-aliasing : Speaking
    anti-aliasing, I seperate all test scenarios (except for Bioshock : Infinite) into two groups - one for without
    AA, another for with 4x AA. For Bioshock, I assumed its DX11+DDOF preset as "with 4x AA" as well as DX11 preset as
    "without AA" since the official benchmark tool didn't offer such options.

And to adopt super-high resolutions in ordinary display(s), I used Eyefinity and NV Surround as well as "User
    Defined Resolution" in NV Control Panel (for NVIDIA, of course). Specifically as follow:

- 2560 x 1600 : Nothing special
    - 5760 x 1080 : AMD - Eyefinity / NVIDIA - NV Surround (both 3 x 1920x1080)
    - 4096 x 2160 : AMD - Eyefinity (2 x 2048x2160) / NVIDIA - NVCP User Define (single display, upscaled)
    - 7680 x 1600 : AMD - Eyefinity / NVIDIA - NV Surround (both 3 x 2560x1600)
    - 5120 x 2700 : AMD - Eyefinity (4 x 2560x1350) / NVIDIA - NVCP User Define (single display, upscaled)
    (for detailed info, see Ch2 and Ch3 of this article : http://iyd.kr/649)

For 4K and 5K, AMD and NVIDIA are not perfectly variable-controlled. (at least the # of display used are
    different!) With keeping it in mind, I'm going to analyze how this -AMD's to control multiple display while
    NVIDIA's to control just a single display- affect the overall performance at the end of the article.

Well, here's the system setting.

[​IMG]

Here's the performance summaries. Note that the "Raw Data" graphs actually analyze nothing but show accumulated
    framerates, and I guess everybody knows that just summing up framerates from all different games are virtually
    incomparable. I intentionally put these graphs for two reasons : one is to emphasize that, for a single data set,
    there is no such "only way" to analyze it. Two is to show that, by comparing "Raw Data" graphs and "Normalized"
    graphs, how an "AMD/NVIDIA-freidnly" game affects and actually distorts the results. (For example, Batman -a true
    friend of NVIDIA graphics card- gives a massive plus to NVIDIA graphics cards so that NVIDIA keeps relatively-
    higher rank than AMD in Raw Data graphs, while we can see the contrary in Normalized graphs : AMD yields small but
    many surpluses from many other game, and such "small but many" surpluses eventually exceeds the amount AMD loses
    from Batman.)
    (Full test results are here : http://iyd.kr/649)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As a summary, I think we all agree these three conclusions:
    - Gaming at 5K isn't really tangible. After all, framerates from highest graphics solution are terrible.
    - (Despite above,) a pair of 290X offers best relative performance at super-high resolutions.
    - (Despite above two,) the GTX TITAN Z is the only single graphics card that is "capable" of 5K gaming.

Well, the test is over. Thanks for reading!
    (Just because I'm Korean and I'm not that fluent in English, it takes a couple of days to translate my article
    into English. Hope that I could do this faster, so that I could provide a better understanding.)

HTC, Vario, Mathragh and 7 others say thanks.
  2. gdallsk

gdallsk

Thanks Received:
    Slower than 2 R9 290's, and considering it's like triple the price tag....
    Nvidia, what were you thinking...? :slap:

R-T-B says thanks.
  3. blobster21

blobster21

Thanks Received:
    worse scaling ever !

pay $6000 for a pair of titan-z and you'll get 10% FPS increase compared with your already (well overrated) single titan-z

4. Scatler

Scatler

Thanks Received:
    Jesus Christ, what's the point of having Titan z when two r9 290x's and two 780 ti's offer a better price for performance? Bragging rights?

5. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    Wow, this is actually worse than I was expecting. Titan-Z really is just a joke, there was not even a single test it did well in with the exception of the whole "5k" thing which is not even tangible on it at all.

6. 15th Warlock

15th Warlock

Thanks Received:
    No point at all, even if you are a heavy compute user you can spend the same $3K on three Titan Blacks for the price of this joke of a card and still get 50% or more compute power.

Nvidia seriously needs to address their pricing structure or they risk alienating their loyal users, and I speak as a loyal Nvidia costumer myself, I've spent literally thousands of dollars on their cards, but this cannot go on. :shadedshu:

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    GhostRyder says thanks.
  7. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    ^This, this is 100% accurate! I literally cannot find a decent scenario that this card would make sense at least from a logical standpoint.

15th Warlock says thanks.
  8. night.fox

night.fox

Thanks Received:
    great. What does NVIDIA says about this for a $$$$$ card?

@DGLee Why not include the 295x2 vs the titan black sli? ^_^ as far as Ive read, scaling of 295X2 is better than 2x 290x . Somebody correct me if I am wrong

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Vlada011

Vlada011

Thanks Received:
    I told you last 2 years something really bad happen in head of NVIDIA CEO and we must pay crazy price for their other projects.
    TITAN Z not worth over 2000$.

10. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    The problem is Rory @ AMD is getting the same kind of ideas. Reality should set in on him though because your avg. AMD customer won't overpay (Before someone brings up miners, that's a completely different market. Same product, but different market.) $1500 for the 295x2 only looks acceptable because it's 1/2 the price of nVidia's dual card offering and the abysmal reference cooler on the 290/290X. It's still overpriced.

MustSeeMelons says thanks.
  11. Durvelle27

Durvelle27

Thanks Received:
    Ha

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Interesting AMDs cards are noticeably better with AA on.

13. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    And it's claiming to be the "first 5k ready" card. What a bunch of crap.

14. Xzibit

Thanks Received:
    Probably meant 5k as in price not resolution. ;)

Prima.Vera, blobster21, RCoon and 2 others say thanks.
  15. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Where did he get the Titan Z from? It's been intentionally held back because Nvidia know it's not up to speed , literally. This review is not yet valid. They're working feverishly to get better scaling from the driver.

Though it's still a total disaster for Nvidia no matter what.

16. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    I am also curious about this...

Also interesting to see AMD push ahead of the competition when AA'ing is implemented, most interesting indeed.

17. Relayer

Thanks Received:
    For 3 grand they'll smash Titan-Z with or without AA. :D

18. buildzoid

buildzoid

Thanks Received:
    The numbers look sound and I seem to remember an article that showed that AMD cards take less of a hit from MSAA than Nvidia cards which is why Nvidia made TXAA or whatever it's called.

19. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    It is indeed absurd you can get crossfire X for the same price as (effectively) sli. Given the 295x appearance, Titan Z really needs to be £1500.

20. RCoon

RCoon Forum Gypsy

Thanks Received:
    You and I both know NVidia aren't going to do that. It simply isn't in their nature to be "realistic" about these things.

21. R-T-B

R-T-B

Thanks Received:
    That may be true, but TXAA was actually inspired by AMDs shader AA if I recall, which was implemented briefly for R600 (their worst card to date IMO) because it DIDN'T HAVE A MSAA ENGINE AT ALL, lolz.

Pretty fail... of course that was years ago and AMD has learned a lot. Their AA is now back in hardware where it belongs, and seemingly does a pretty damn good job.

THE_EGG says thanks.
  22. THE_EGG

THE_EGG

Thanks Received:
    I think Nvidia's one was FXAA, I could be wrong though.

I too find it interesting that AMD seems to pull ahead when AA is enabled.

23. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    The 64 ROP backend of the 290/290X is most likely providing the benefit here.

IIRC he is mimiking a Titan Z by downclocking two GK110's (assumed to be 780TI's) to the rumoured Titan Z clocks.

24. GhostRyder

GhostRyder

Thanks Received:
    But..but..That would make sense :p

Either way it comes down to this in the end.
    If you need dual GPU cards, get the 295X2, or if you just want to run SLI or CFX then buy 780ti's or 290X cards. Heck you can buy 4 R9 290 cards for around the same price as a 295X2 :p. But you could buy any 4 single GPU cards (Minus Titan and black) and save money from Titan-Z.

25. Suka

Suka

Thanks Received:
    Considering the scaling/performance would that be bragging rights really?