1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming build for around $1200

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by bamdaman14, Mar 16, 2013.

1. bamdaman14 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi I need help picking out parts for a pc. I'm going to be using it mostly for gaming, video editing, web browsing, movies. I also need a monitor at least 23" and gaming keyboard and mouse. So far I'm at a 3570k, at least 8 gb of Ram, Asus motherboard, 660ti, 700-850 watt psu, 60 gb ssd for operating system, hard drive 1 tb. Trying to fit all this for at least $1200-1300. I'm also from canada and planning on buying the parts from tiger direct.

2. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Go ASRock motherboard. Better bang for the buck. Get a smaller PSU Corsair, SeaSonic, Enermax and a bigger SSD

3. Hood

Hood

Thanks Received:
    So Close

As Jetster noted, at least a 128 SSD, Smaller PSU, and cheaper motherboard (but don't go too cheap or you'll regret it). Look at my system specs (look familiar?) I have no regrets about any of my current parts, and they all work very well together. Well, actually I need a larger (and faster!) SSD to load more games, or maybe a fast hybrid drive for games and just load Windows and a few programs on the current SSD.
    The 660 Ti is my most recent purchase, and it removed the last bottleneck in my system and all is now in balance. This is the definition of "The Sweet Spot" you hear so much about but rarely find. So is every other part in my system, more or less. In other words, you can build a faster computer than this, but the prices increase exponentially, while the gains become smaller.

Attached Files:

4. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    I suggest larger capacity SSD for peace of mind.
    Garbage still somehow gets it's way into the OS which does nothing but take up space.
    I would recommend a 256gb SSD.
    I don't mind my 128Gb SSD but would prefer a little more.

If you are not planning on ever going SLi then you can use a 650w PSU.
    A semi modular over a non modular one just for tidy cable management.
    Also make sure the PSU is of a reputable brand like Seasonic, Corsair, XFX or Enermax.

Nothing worse than seeing people get an epic rig only to cheap out big time on the PSU because it doesn't increase the performance of the PC, later on to post about how their rig is not running right.

Hood says thanks.
  5. Jack1n

Thanks Received:
    I would put invest another 50$ on the GPU and get a 670.

Jetster says thanks.