1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming computer network setup help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Chaney579, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well here is the deal i am building a very high end enthusiast/gaming computer. And i need to know how im going to get internet from my u-verse modem/router all in one to my rig ACCROSSED the huge ass house, and through 4/5 walls... Its about 100-150 feet away im not sure we have a pretty big house. And my room is kind of a dead spot in some places.. Like it has moderate internet in there and works good but its not what you get when you are right next to it of course. I wanted to know if i could figure something out how to solve this. The modem/router all in one has to stay in its spot, and i dont know if running a 100-150 foot cat 6 cable would be very good from input output lag?. Or if there is a pci card that i could use? It has to be a good one that will have very good latency etc..

G1- Sniper (Maybe Assassin)
    Asus GTX-590
    Asus GTS-450 (PhysX)
    2x 64gb realssd c300 sata 6/gbs
    2tb WD caviar Black edition sata 3/gbs (Storage drive)
    intel core i7-970
    H70 all in one watercooling solution.
    Corsair vengeance 12gb 1600mhz (3x4gb) 8-9-8 stock
    1200 watt ultra x4 modular PSU
    Windows 7 professional.

As you can see i with my pci slots i will be placing my gtx 590 in the first x16 slot and then my gts 450 in the last which will be an x8 speed. Leaving me one x16 slot open and then a x1. So i could have room all though i will find it a bit ugly -.-... Still i dont really have much on the budget to spend but i would like any feedback or ideas and items i can use. Please give me links and prices for everything. Thank you

Jesse

2. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    you lost me at adding a 450 in with a 590 for physx

3. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Please dont be a dick, it is perfectly fine to do that. It allows me to run the 590 at full 2x gtx 580 specs with no dedication of either of the gpu's to Physx. All i would like is a strait forward answer on how i should get internet to my computer. THANK YOU

4. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I'm on a wireless G band network connected to a 3000/768 DSL connection, approximately 75' from our DSL gateway with 7 walls between my computer and the gateway and this is what I get-

[​IMG]

set up a N band network and you should be just fine

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Oh, btw, I have no problems with lag playing COD Black Op's on my connection.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    o rly

you might just wanna "look" before you "leap" pal, it's disappointing there at the bottom of the cliff

/end

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  7. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is it only 2.84 because you only pay for 3 or something xD? Because i would love to get a little bit higher then that. Link to the product please?

8. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Like I said, my connection's advertised speeds are 3000mb download and 768mb upload(can't complain for $30 a month), and this connection gave me the same speeds when I was on a wired connection 5' from the gateway. Going wireless, I didn't lose any connection speed, and that's on a G band wireless connection. The N band wireless connections have a stronger signal and longer range.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I do have to agree with 2DevidedbyZero, you don't need that GTS450 for PhysX in combination with that GTX590. The GTX has plenty of mussle to handle PhysX and graphics of todays games. Your money would be better spent on a high-end dual band wirelessN network

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    I believe it starts with the GTX 400 series of nvidia cards that they are powerful enough on their own to power the video settings + physx so you dont need a dedicated card.

To answer your internet questions, I personally would run an Ethernet cable just so I dont get lag/random dropouts especially if its for a high end gaming rig. And if youre really worried, get a Killer NIC. Might help some even if it is just for marketing.

11. timta2

Thanks Received:
    You should be fine if you decide to go that route. You won't notice any more lag than if you had 5 foot one.

When used for 10/100/1000BASE-T, the maximum allowed length of a Cat 6 cable is 100 meters (330 ft). This consists of 90 meters (300 ft) of solid "horizontal" cabling between the patch panel and the wall jack, plus 10 meters (33 ft) of stranded patch cable between each jack and the attached device. Since stranded cable has higher attenuation than solid cable, exceeding 10 metres of patch cabling will reduce the permissible length of horizontal cable.
    When used for 10GBASE-T, Cat 6 cable's maximum length is 55 meters (180 ft) in a favourable alien crosstalk environment, but only 37 meters (121 ft) in a hostile alien crosstalk environment such as when many cables are bundled together. 10GBASE-T runs of up to 100 meters (330 ft) are permissible using Cat 6a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

12. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Again where i have my money is where it is going to stay, Its a future proofing rig, When one of the upcoming tittles that supports PhysX will push it to the limits i will have it.. Can anybody else answer the question at hand or just comment on the rig im building?...

13. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah since when was a 590 2 x GTX580 "SPEC"

14. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well the motherboard im am getting has killer e2100 from bigfoot built into the mobo. Research the g1 sniper and assassin. Thats pretty much their marketing stand point along with build in 7.1 channel Creative sound blaster xifi. Thats all i was wondering. I didnt know for sure if the cable at some point being so long would have problems talking back and forth but now i can just run the dang thing form the attic xD

15. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried ignoring you... Everybody has to be so damn anal.. its two 580s slightly down clocked... Now do i have to tell you anything more? At this point the money im putting into the system is just bragging rights for 4 months... I dont need to justify me spending 4500 dollars on a computer.. that wasn't my question. Again you sit here and get butthurt because you want it done your way. Anything i put in the system pretty much now is just to look pretty i could just slap another card in and not hook it up for giggles.

16. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    you state 590 is 2 x 580 spec and then try to dumb me down. LMFAO

17. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anybody else notice this guy being rude? Pick apart my build bro i will gladly find myself using another forum. I stated what i stated but it is correct you are just trying to find minute details to rag on because you feel jealous i will now go back to ignoring you and this forum

18. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    Way to be off topic 2/0 :nutkick:

3 options for networking over a large distance

1. Re-wire the house.
    Expensive, time consuming, but ultimately best results.

2. High end wifi
    Semi-expensive, wifi question-ability, no modding.

3. Ethernet over power line.
    Semi-expensive, takes up a wall outlet, provides reliable internet.

19. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    19 posts in and you are threatening to leave when someone points out the rig your building may not be ideal.

c ya

20. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Warning: Stay on topic.

CrackerJack says thanks.
  21. Chaney579 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont worry about it bro, i will simply not be using your website anymore. Sorry for the bother you can now delete this thread and i thank the 3 people who actually helped.

22. 2DividedbyZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    sigh

23. random

random

Thanks Received:
    You'll find it much more rewarding using a wired connection. So imo either get your line rewired somehow or buy an extremely long ethernet cable (which is what I'm doing atm) then route it straight from your gateway to your room. Wireless won't do your rig any justice, you may as well play on a laptop if you're going un-wired.

24. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Mmmkay.

Cold Storm says thanks.